Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #85

Made it to Williams Az. This will be our base camp for exploring the Grand Canyon and the Flagstaff area. Arrived during a minor snow storm!

Thomas
Our Big RV Adventures - Facebook Group

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 09:16 PM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
Made it to Williams Az. This will be our base camp for exploring the Grand Canyon and the Flagstaff area. Arrived during a minor snow storm!

Thomas

We love Williams. It's our weekend get away spot in the summer. Where you staying there?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
We love Williams. It's our weekend get away spot in the summer. Where you staying there?

Staying at the Grand Canyon Railway ($25.00) a night with passport America.

Thomas
Old 05-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
From Flagstaff if you take AZ89 north you can either stay on 89 through Page to Kanab or take AZ89A over to Jacob Lake and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. On 89A you will have to drive a fairly steep, curvy hill just before Jacob Lake but it's very doable for RVers.

Once you get to Kanab, UT/Fredonia, AZ area using 89 or 89A, if you want to get to Zion without using the much-mentioned tunnels on Hwy 9 east of Zion, then an easy way to get to Zion/Springdale, Utah area is from Fredonia, take AZ389 which becomes UT59 to Hwy 9 at Hurricane, UT. Then take Hwy 9 east to Zion. This is a easy drive.

From Zion to Bryce you can either reverse the above route and take 89 north to Hwy 12 and Bryce. Or you can take Hwy 9 west to I-15. Take I-15 north to Hwy 20 east to 89 south through Panguitch, UT and on to Hwy 12 east to Bryce. This is also a easy route for RVers. Do not take Hwy 14 from I-15 to 89. Hwy 14 is very steep. Instead, take Hwy 20 to 89 from I-15.

You don't have to go near Las Vegas.

Another question reference your answer. If we stay on the east side of Zion, (assuming we can find a place) can we just drive north on 89 and visit Bryce? After that, then find a good hwy to get to I-15 to head north?

Thomas
Old 05-10-2015, 08:24 PM   #89

Another question: It looks like I will be staying at Colter Bay in the Grand Tetons and then heading for West Yellowstone (fishing Bridge is booked solid until ...like next year). After leaving West Yellowstone I was wondering how Hwy 191 headed north is as far as grades and mountains?

Thanks again.

Thomas
Old 06-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
There are very, very few roads that are 6 and 8% grades "most of the time". Generally, you will see stretches where they are common for 15-20 miles, interspersed with flats and 2-3% sections. A six-mile 6% grade is a very long one. Few 8% grades are more than 3-4 miles. Road engineers will find alternate routes to make the grade longer and flatter.

From what I've heard of "The Dragon's Tail" in Tennessee, that's a "white knuckle" road, which makes it a classic for sports cars and motorcycles.

These roads are much tamer.
my smart car loved those turns at Tail Of Dragon, left the rv at camp ground