Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #15

We will have a 38' MH. The toad is still questionable. I wanted to enjoy the travels of the OBX and crystal cove. Is the MH going to be a problem on either ferry? We have never been in this part of east coast so we thought we would give it a shot. I have found quite a few CG that seem nice. We do not have any time line we need to follow so we can stay as long or as little as we desire. To sum it up our kids are not old enough to see the historic sites yet and we have been to disney several times. So another beach vacation seems to be in order.

pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pace,

Ferry Schedules for North Carolina's Outer Banks

Item #5 on the above page indicates that any size RV or vehicle that can be operated on the state roads can be accomodated on the ferrys.

Lots of other good info there on the site.

If I'm not in a hurry, I am always a sucker for a nice ferry ride here in VA or NC. Maybe you want to try that route. The inland route I mentioned before is not too exciting, but not bad either.

have a great trip
jack

jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ocean Waves is the best. My daughter lives in Nags Head, and we have tried them all, and what you get is bigger, noiser, but not better for twice the money.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It can get real warm in June on the Obx.. Even camping at the NPS or other campgrounnds it's gets warm or hot in a camper. But that's from a fatman and we sweat alot....
Old 12-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #19

No, it can get just plain HOT. AC runs non-stop from when you get set-up til you tear down.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
No, it can get just plain HOT. AC runs non-stop from when you get set-up til you tear down.
And that's why we go in the fall! Now, if they could just do something about the skeeters........
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #21

We go to the obx every year in our fifth wheel, stayed at many different campgrounds. Its just me, my wife, and 2 yr old son. Best campground if you like to be right on the water is frisco woods campground. Not much there for kids, but our son still enjoyed it.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OBx

How is it there in late April, early May? We are going to Williamsburg 3rd week of April with kids and grandkids. Then I want to do some flyrod surfcasting after that.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My daughter lives there, so we get constant weather updates as well as travel news. Nothing wrong with April or May, other than it will be a little cooler. We always go in May - gets you ahead of hurricane season and the tourist crush. We like Ocean Waves Campground. Not much for kids, but just over the dunes from the ocean, great hookups and a lot cheaper than the nearby competition.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #24

Ferry

Having never driven on a ferry before, at least one that allowed RV's, the worse day of my life getting the Sunnybrook 30' on board. The workers on the boat almost had me driving right into the boats superstructure at one time. I did not follow there directions and it is very close all the time. Never ever do it again, matter fact, we came back thru Roanoke to avoid the ferry ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
Has anyone traveled by ferry from Ocracoke to Cedar Island? The prices are well within reason. We trying to figure out the best route from Kitty Hawk down to Emerald isle.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #25

Banks

First of all, I can see why the Wright Brothers chose this place to fly, heck a brick could fly with all the wind that is around all the time. The beach is about all there is to do, unless you fish. We were there two years ago and thought the park we had planned to stay in would be outstanding, it wasn't. On Cape Hatteras we stayed at the name sake, Camp Hatteras Camp Grounds. They have two entrances to there park, one if you take the wrong dirt road will leave you trying to turn your rig around in someones front yard. Forget about biking, class A motorhomes do not share the road with anyone. The roads are so narrow only a VW could qualify for Share the Roads...
LKicklight@aol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
We are thinking about vacationing in the outer banks in june. Friends of ours always go to Emerald Isle. It looks the Holiday Travel park is one of the nicer ones in the area. We also have 2 children ages 3 and 5. We have never been to OBX. Is this a nice destination or does anyone have any other suggestions for OBX?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Having never driven on a ferry before, at least one that allowed RV's, the worse day of my life getting the Sunnybrook 30' on board. The workers on the boat almost had me driving right into the boats superstructure at one time. I did not follow there directions and it is very close all the time. Never ever do it again, matter fact, we came back thru Roanoke to avoid the ferry ride:
Whoa! The ferry folks are true professionals. If there is any level of collision when they are loading, the ferry CANNOT move until the accident investigation is completed. Schedule gets all screwed up and lots of people already on the ferry get mad. They do a GREAT job loading and unloading everything from bicycles to tractor-trailers every day without drama or incident. (Tractor-trailers serve the business community on the island daily). We have taken the ferry in our Class A on calm days and even in a tropical storm (near hurricane wind and rain). They are top notch professionals. The only condition is that it takes teamwork. Trust them to do a good job and just follow their directions. If you are worried, park in the lot and get out and watch them load and unload a few ferry loads. Talk with them. They do this all day, every day, year round in all types of weather with every type of vehicle. Enjoy your ferry ride and have fun! .
Old 03-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #27

Outer Banks

We visited there two years ago, first off, I can see why the Wright Brothers flew there first airplanes from here..heck, you could throw a brick up in the air and it would fly...with that said, let me tell you about our adventure.
The first day was taking our 30' FIS Sunnybrook TT on the ferry ride over from the mainland...never again...just not large enough to feel safe...had to do it twice in the same day to get to Hatteras...Our campgrounds on Hatteras were named for its namesake, Hatteras Camprgrounds..when we arrived late in the day, we got checked in and then told how to get around to the backside of the park where out site was reserved for us...The directions were terrible and we ended up turning the rig around in someones front yard....not an easy task for any size coach and tow truck...When we finally found out site, a corner lot with water from a canal on both sides, we had less than foot on either side to back in between to other RV units...the owners were very happy and with beer bottles in hand began directing us how to back into our site..my wife is an exactly co-pilot and with her help we got the rig into the site....The wind that I spoke of earlier was so bad that putting out our 13' Awning was out of the question..the wind blew the whole time we were there, night and day...Also, the only thing to do there is, either fish or set on the beach, both of which gets pretty old, pretty quick..We tried riding our bikes on the Share the Road Highway, ever been passed by a Class A Motorhome on a two lane highway?
Did not find any of the food very good..the live play in Roanoke, the Lost Colony was pretty good, except for the screaming kids sitting around us...
There is a camp ground at Roanoke that we would like to stay at on our next visit...
Might want to try Skidaway Island State Park in Savannah, GA...great for kids, hiking and biking..
LKicklight..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB120001.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	18418  
Old 03-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You certainly had a bad experience with OBX. I would never go back if I were you. I think the area is for people who love the beach and don't need a lot of other stuff. We go there about every two years and love Ocean Waves Campground. As for the wind, I think you must have hit a very windy time. It does blow a lot, but not as bad as you experienced. That being said, we always go in May before tropical storm season begins.