Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #1

outer banks

We are thinking about vacationing in the outer banks in june. Friends of ours always go to Emerald Isle. It looks the Holiday Travel park is one of the nicer ones in the area. We also have 2 children ages 3 and 5. We have never been to OBX. Is this a nice destination or does anyone have any other suggestions for OBX?

pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We just came from there. We stayed at Waves RV resort or something like that. Nice campground, easy beach access. Not a ton to do but sometimes that is good with kids as you have the beach there but don't spend a lot of other money. Campground clean, great bathrooms and there is a pool there also. It's also a smaller campground.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Technically, Emerald Isle is not part of the OBX. Emerald Isle is part of the Crystal Coast.

Insofar as the OBX are concerned, I have read many good things about Camp Hatteras in Rodanthe.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll second Camp Hatteras. We stayed there over the July 4th weekend in a lot at the far left corner and it was great for us and our Springer. Windy enough that the awning could not be out and sunny enough that we would have appreciated it.

No fire rings because there was a ban on ground fires. It is out there a way though so be prepared for a 30 minute drive to get back into town for any real supplies although there are well stocked stores in the area.

We only found one place nearby for breakfast.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #5

Camp Hatteras and Hatteras KOA, both nice but pricey for us. They both have game rooms and such, but with your younger kids I would try and get into Ocean Waves, 1/4 mile from the KOA and Camp Hatteras and less than half the cost. They have limited number of sites and will start taking reservations after the 1st of the year. Remember, once you go over the sand dune it's all the same ocean. With younger kids you might like the bay side, no waves, water is warmer, and you can go out for almost forever and not be over waist deep. A little ways down in Avon there's a Food Lion for grocery shopping.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #6

Thanks for the recommendations. I will be sure to check them out online.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #7

Has anyone traveled by ferry from Ocracoke to Cedar Island? The prices are well within reason. We trying to figure out the best route from Kitty Hawk down to Emerald isle.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
Has anyone traveled by ferry from Ocracoke to Cedar Island? The prices are well within reason. We trying to figure out the best route from Kitty Hawk down to Emerald isle.
We did Cedar Island/Ocracoke in October. Its about a 2 1/2 hour trip, be sure you get reservations. There is nothing at Cedar Island, there is a "campground" by the ferry terminal at Cedar Island but it's just a big field with very limited hookups.
Ocracoke is great, we stayed at the NPS campground. Be sure to bring bug spray!!!
Return trip was Ocracoke/Swan Quarter. Same deal, not much in SQ either, small fishing village.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #9

By NPS I am guessing you mean the state park. I looked into that this afternoon. I was told there were no hook ups but they didn't know if generators were allowed either. I called the state park service directly. I called the park but no answer.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I spent a week at "ocean waves campground" last may, then rode the the island from one end to the other checking out other camping options. I rode my harley in and out of every place on the island checking every one out good. ocean waves is relaxing and quite. camp hatteras and the koa were 60.00 - 80.00 per night or more, ocean waves 39.00. thae state operated campgrounds have no hookups
Old 11-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
By NPS I am guessing you mean the state park. I looked into that this afternoon. I was told there were no hook ups but they didn't know if generators were allowed either. I called the state park service directly. I called the park but no answer.
Sorry, I'm a little acronym-happy. NPS is National Park Service campgrounds. At Ocracoke they ask you if you want to use your generator and if you do they put you in A, B, C section. Section D is reserved for non-generator camping.
We only used our genset only for coffee and cooking in the microwave, but in summer I suspect you'd need the a/c.
Cape Hatteras National Seashore - Campgrounds (U.S. National Park Service)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #12

For an overnight stay hook ups are not a huge concern. I would be more interested in camping as close to the beach as possible. Waves campground seems like a nice stop. I guess now we need to figure out how long we are going to stay at each stop.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #13

Quote:
For an overnight stay hook ups are not a huge concern. I would be more interested in camping as close to the beach as possible. Waves campground seems like a nice stop. I guess now we need to figure out how long we are going to stay at each stop.
My SO and 2 dogs stayed at Frisco NPS last April for a week. Not much for kids to do other than the beach of which you can seen from quite a few sites. We used our 4x4 on the beach a lot. We also used our generators when we needed to (except quiet time). A couple of pluses about the Frisco SNP. (1) there are sites that have some shade. None at Ocracoke.
(2) close to restaurants and services (3) 7 miles from Hatteras. (4) usually a prevailing wind to help cut down on the bugs. The best one for my Scots Irish mindset is the Senior Gold Card gets you a $10 nightly fee. The only downside I can see is "no hook-ups" and although they have nice bath houses they only have cold water showers. Enjoy.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Pretty familiar with that area...If you are driving a larger motorhome towing a vehicle, I'd recommend what mapquest.com says.....Kitty Hawk to Manteo, off the OBX on Rt 64 to Williamston NC. Down Rt 17 past New Bern to Maysville then down Rt58 to the Crystal Coast and across the bridge to Emeral Isle. About 205 miles and 4 1/2 hours.

If you are in a smaller vehicle, want a more interesting ride including ferries and have made the reservations, take the ferry to Ocracoke and then another one from Ocracoke to Cedar Island. With perfect timing it will still take at least an hour longer but a nice way to go.

jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote