Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #15

You should be fine later this summer even a week or so from now. They will fix those roads quickly and get everyone on the island.

I lost half my trip and will probably need to go back prior to the end of the summer.

Have fun!

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtermini30 View Post
You should be fine later this summer even a week or so from now. They will fix those roads quickly and get everyone on the island.

I lost half my trip and will probably need to go back prior to the end of the summer.

Have fun!

2013 Scion XB toad

Bummer! Sorry to hear that.

We are heading down to hatteras koa on Thursday, hopefully things are back in order by then!

Old 07-04-2014, 06:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
Bummer! Sorry to hear that.

We are heading down to hatteras koa on Thursday, hopefully things are back in order by then!

We are there in 1.5 weeks.... So hoping it's all cleared up by then, also.
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #18

We plan on hitting them this fall to do our part of leaving money to rebuild with. ;-)
Old 07-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #19

I spoke to the campground owner this morning and she advised they did much better than expected. There was a fair amount of wind damage and the entire campground was covered by 3' of storm surge (saltwater). They never lost power to the campground but I'm sure the power post were all off as they would have been underwater.

I was surprised when she said a fair number of campers stayed during the storm especially with children. Additionally, I'm not sure I would want my trailer or RV exposed to that much saltwater.

2013 Scion XB toad

Old 07-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Living on the Gulf Coast near Galveston we don't wait for evacuation orders. If the prediction is near us we pack up and leave 72 hours prior to landfall.

When Rita came through we did not have an RV at that time. We got a late start and we went 150 miles inland. It took 15-1/2 hours to travel 150 miles.

When Ike came through we got in the RV and headed inland 72 hours before landfall. Although our city was an island because of our seawall, the destruction around us was tremendous. Our city was without power for 17 days.

We were young and foolish once a long time ago. We would stick around and ride out the hurricanes. Spent 3 years in Okinawa, Japan where 5 Typhoons a year with 150 mph winds or there abouts came through. Every time was scary and filled with apprehensions.

We are older and wiser now. We get out of dodge, and it is especially comforting to know we have the RV to assist us in that manner. Staying behind is risking our life, and if we had children it would be risking their lives also.

Don't mess with mother nature.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:47 PM   #21

Updated message from KOA in Rodanthe, NC in the Outer Banks:

Cape Hatteras KOA
www.capehatteraskoa.com
www.facebook.com/capehatteraskoa

Cape Hatteras KOA sustains minimal damage from Hurricane Arthur, reopens for guests

Cape Hatteras KOA Resort is getting ready to reopen following Hurricane Arthur's visit to the Outer Banks last Friday. This photo was taken at the KOA Tuesday, July 8.

Hurricane season came early to the Outer Banks this year. The first Category 2 hurricane to make landfall in the U.S. in seven years, Arthur disrupted many travelers' 4th of July plans and created damage up the eastern seaboard. The center of Arthur crossed the northern Outer Banks near Nags Head on the morning of July 4, with winds peaking at 100 mph. The hardest hit area was northern Hatteras Island, where sound-side flooding brought upwards of 4 - 6 feet of water.

Cape Hatteras KOA, which celebrated its Grand Re-Opening May 1, experienced minimal temporary damage and re-opens to campers on Wednesday, July 9. The property, rebuilt after extensive damage caused in 2011 by Hurricane Irene, withstood the storm well, and all of the hurricane abatement measures put in place performed as expected. Damaged was limited to a small number of Camping Cabins, which remain closed as staff inspect and clean the cabins to ensure they're safe for guest use.

"Everything we did at Cape Hatteras after Hurricane Irene in 2011 to combat the effects of hurricanes on the campground actually worked," said Terry Shade, Vice President of Company Owned Properties for Kampgrounds of America Inc.

KOA spent $6.8 million in 2011 after Hurricane Irene to rebuild the campground, which included a new main building/store built on 12-foot pilings. That building also included an elevator and luxury suites on the third floor, as well as 18 "aerial Deluxe Cabins" also built on 12-foot pilings. Neither the main building nor the aerial Deluxe Cabins sustained any damage.

"It took us three years to rebuilt after Hurricane Irene in 2011," said Shade. "It's going to take us about 10 days to clean up after Hurricane Arthur. I'd say that's progress."

All Deluxe Cabins at the campground, along with RV and tent sites, will be available for rent on Wednesday, July 9. Only the 32 basic Cabins will be taken out of active camping inventory.

Campers will be offered discounts through this Sunday, July 13. Camping reservations are also being taken for the rest of the summer at CapeHatterasKOA.com.

Follow us on Facebook for the latest news from the campground.

Copyright © 2012. All Rights Reserved.

Forward this email

This email was sent to john.termini@termini.us by capehatteras@koa.net |
Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.

Cape Hatteras KOA | 550 N. 31st Street | Billings | MT | 59101

2013 Scion XB toad

Old 07-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can anyone suggest other campsites on the outer banks. Other than the KOA, will be in area late Aug or late Sept.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:04 AM   #23

Try Ocean Waves, next to the KOA and way cheaper. Owners are very nice people, can't wait to get back.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #24

2x on Ocean Waves! We will make our second trip over the long weekend in August/September!

2013 Scion XB toad

Old 07-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We stayed at Ocean Waves last summer. As said, right next door to the KOA and much more reasonable in price.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #26

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Can anyone suggest other campsites on the outer banks. Other than the KOA, will be in area late Aug or late Sept.
We stayed at Camp Hatteras a couple years ago. It was nice. I couldn't get reservations at Oceans Waves. But if going back, I would try to get reservations there.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #27

We had a great time last week at Camp Hatteras! Only 1 small complaint, the sand at our beachfront lot was full of litter, cig butts, plastic forks, etc....but I'm sure that was hurricane related. Still, after our neighbours left, I guy came by with a clipboard and didn't get off his golf cart. No clean up for the next folks....
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
Just got back from OBX yesterday. Was supposed to stay at the Kitty Hawk RV park but found it to be VERY tight so ended up staying in the driveway at my cousin's house in Southern Shores.

Be aware of the traffic on Saturdays! Seems from morning to evening the 158/12 intersection is jamb packed during the rental turnover. Wal Mart was also packed as the new renters get in early and then go there to buy supplies and wait for their rental to be ready.

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote