Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #1

Outer Banks North Carolina

We are currently camping in the Outer Banks and a hurricane is going to spoil the end of our vacation! This is the third time we had plans and a big blow came through the Outer Banks!

Three years ago the campground was under 5' of ocean water causing massive destruction to the surrounding area

What surprises me is how many people are staying to ride out the storm! I believe the KOA is about to eject several hundred campers which will cause our campground to eject everyone.

I spoke to several families with young kids that are going to 'ride it out'! I have seen the destruction and it's not worth staying.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is not worth staying . You are correct.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The next time we're thinking of visiting the Outer Banks we're going to check with you first, to make sure you won't be there. You're obviously hurricane bait.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a mandatory evacuation of Hatteras Island beginning at 5:30 this morning. Get out while you can, because they WILL close the highway and bridge, if mother nature doesn't do it for them.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Sending positive vibes to our most favorite destination! I hope mother nature is kind to my OBX.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #6

10-4 to that !!!

Jim
Old 07-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #7

We visited there in late June, 2011. What a great place, loved the food and all the Outer Banks had to offer. Hope it doesn't get hit too hard.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
looks like its drifting off east, I think the weather people knew it a couple days ago from the model, but just wanted airtime to and ratings as normal
Old 07-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #9

Going further east into the intercostal (sound as they call it) is not a great thing depending on the speed of the storm. It causes the sound to surge outward creating severe flooding on the Outer Banks. It also can cause ruptures in the islands creating new channels. After all it's just a sand bank and it's natural for it to change.

Someone told me this week while out there that most of the sand dunes are man made and a hundred years ago the water would just run from ocean the sound but now the dunes keep the water on the island longer than it naturally would.

2013 Scion XB toad

Old 07-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, those folks were either pulling your leg, or they know nothing about the history of the area. Google Outer Banks and you will find dozens of articles that will clear it up. There are some "man fortified" dunes, but there are actually more breaches in the islands today than there were in the 14th century.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #11

I live 3 miles north of the hardest hit place on the Jersey shore from super storm Sandy 2 yrs ago. The destruction was unbelievable, homes ripped off their foundations and carried 2 blocks away . The ocean breached the dunes in three places in this town and flooded almost all the homes. As a note, this wasn't even a hurricane. The destruction to the infra-structure in this area was amazing.

When you hear that there is an evacuation ordered, heed the warnings and get out! Better safe than sorry.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #12

Looks like there was a significant storm surge in Waves, NC where the campground is located. Although most if the water has retreated (weather channel video) I'm concerned about how the campers were!

Also, this is a photo of how much of the Outer Banks looked like before man created the dunes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404475678.976973.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	66865

2013 Scion XB toad

Old 07-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #13

Look at it this way. The ocean will clean them off the beach with no problem.

We were there last year looking at all the places on stilts. The same places the weather channel was showing the water washing through under the houses. The houses are still there. Nobody is claiming millions in damages. It sounds like it will be business as usual in a couple of days or less. I'd say that whatever they are doing is working. ;-)
Old 07-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #14
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
OBXers are resilient people and they have been dealing with hurricanes for generations. I'm feeling like our trip to Rodanthe/Waves later this summer is still on track for now.