Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2010, 05:49 AM   #1

Outer Banks of N.C.

We are considering going to the Outer Banks of N.C. this year or next. We have stayed there in the past probably 8 years ago the last time. Any suggestions on parks to stay at. The last time we were there we stayed at Ocean Waves Campground in Waves. It was nice and clean and well kept but we are open for any other suggestions.
thanks
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ocean Waves is the best deal on the Outer Banks. If you have stayed there then you already know about the other CGs nearby. One that you might not know about is in Wanchese just south of Maneto called the Refuge and is only about two or three years old. It's nice but being new the trees and all are small. But it will put you up on Pea Island where all the action is. I just moved back after 10 years out there and this new CG is the best thing that's happen to RVers on the upper islands.
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #3

Smile

thanks for the info. We will look into it. I used to summer down there every year. We stayed at the holiday inn campground in Rodanthe just up the road from waves. Now that I have the 2 wee ones (not really very wee anymore) I want to show them the things I saw and did. The last time I was there It was much different. Large grocery stores and gas stations etc... When I was a kid just a couple of mom and pos and that was it. I guess it was inevitable. But It should still be fun all the beach and still fairly quiet I hope. It is a real gem. Maybe We'll see you when we go.
thaks again
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am afraid you won't see me. I have been going to the OBX ever since I was born and really enjoyed it for years. The last ten years I lived in Kill Devil Hills and really hated to see the changes going on. Everything that was good has been torn down and replaced with big homes and it has really lost it's charm for me. To many Tshirt shops...I still have a home there, but when it sells or the bank takes it I will be done. One last thing and I am sure you already know. The treehuggers have closed down much of the beach for much of the year. The fight still goes on, but it doesn't look good. There is Camp Hatteras right up the road from Ocean Waves that have a lot of activities for children and young folks. The only band thing is they have room for 750 rigs. Lots of folks is a small area. KOA is right next door, and it's the same way. Pricey!!!Good luck and don't mind me, there is still a lot of good down there...
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We have reservations at Ocean Waves in June and again in October. Living in North Carolina I've been going to the Outer Banks for as long as I can remember. In the past we've camped in tents and rented houses. This will be our first time in our motorhome and our first time at Ocean Waves. We're looking forward to our trip and I can tell you more later in the summer. If anyone viewing this thread stayed in the Waves area and particularly Ocean Waves last year I would like to read your thoughts on the campground.

Thanks
Knotdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #6

This is my review of Ocean waves from July 2008:
We had site #65 and it was full sun. Site was concrete, FHU with cable and very level with manicured grass all around, no sand. When I checked the bathhouse the floor was wet and had sand in it. The showers had been redone but were very mildewy. There was no air in them and the doors were always open which probably helped the problem. I only checked them once since we have our own bath in our unit, and prefer to use it to a public bathhouse. Most people we talked to come here every year with their families having summer reunions. It had a fun outdoor games atmosphere. To get a reservation you must mail in your application after Jan 1st of the year, until Mar when they accept phone calls. There is a store, game room, pool that was strange shaped(you could slide down the sides)and a playset. We did not like the beach as we come from FL and are spoiled by the Gulf Coast. We felt the sand was very dirty/black and stuck to you. We even took pictures of our dd's feet to show how black they got after walking along beach. You can have fires on the beach there. The NPS is cracking down on driving 4WD on beach right now because of nesting birds. Many people were unhappy about this. Park owners are very strict and rules are followed or you are out. This was not a problem for us or our neighbors. We did not have problems with noise from the houses nearby, probably because they are so expensive to rent and the gas prices have made people re-evaluate their spending, that most were not completely full when we were there. The campground was full the entire week we were there though. Good location to go north or south for visiting nearby attractions. We did not have any problems with traffic during our stay. The day we left they were doing roadwork which could slow people down though as it is only a 2 lane road.

We enjoyed our time at Ocean Waves and would definitely return again if we were in the area.
we3peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Looking for cg in or around marion nc please help
P&K812 is offline   Reply With Quote