Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 11:03 AM   #1

Overnight suggestions near Indy and Kansas city?

We are leaving for a cross country trip on Sunday. We leave PA and are taking I70 across until we get into CO when we will slow down and start trying to camp and see some sights.

We are planning our first overnight somewhere around Indianapolis, or a little further west.

We hope our second stop will be somewhere around Kansas City, KS, or a little more west.

Does anyone have any suggestions on good places for an overnight? We prefer just a quick free stop, maybe at a Walmart or similar? I hate to pay for a campground we are only in for a short time.

Would appreciate any suggestions of safe/easy places that may work.

I do have the Allstays RV app, and plan to use it but also do like to hear any first hand suggestions you all may have.

Thanks!!!

2002 F250 Diesel
irene67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 12:23 PM   #2

It's not free but we've stayed at the convenient to I-70 Oak Grove KOA (east side of KC) a couple of times and found it to be fine. Never stayed there but there is a Cabela's on west side of KC.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:50 PM   #3

X2 for the Oak Grove KOA. They used to have a BBQ truck on site during weekends, but it wasn't there last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
It's not free but we've stayed at the convenient to I-70 Oak Grove KOA (east side of KC) a couple of times and found it to be fine. Never stayed there but there is a Cabela's on west side of KC.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #4

We have stayed at the Worlds of Fun Amusement park Campground. Very nice and easy access to the highway. Long pull thrus so you wouldn't have to unhook. Not too far from I-70. https://www.worldsoffun.com/places-to-stay/rv-sites
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:34 PM   #5

Smithville Lake is very nice and reasonable.
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #6

If you're serious about wanting to be at least in Kansas City, Kansas if not west of there then you are going to be well short of that goal at both the Worlds of Fun Campground and the Oak Grove KOA Buy at least 30 minutes. However, I agree with the other posters that those two options are the best bets if you want to be in the Kansas City metro. There are not really any options in the western suburbs of Kansas City on the Kansas side along I-70.

However, if you can go a little farther and get to Topeka I have read good reviews about Deer Creek Valley Campground in Topeka no I have not personally stayed there.
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:42 PM   #7

Deer Creek is very clean and lots of room. Concrete pads and grass. We stay there as we cross Kansas. In the Indy area you can stay at the KOA east of Indy off I-70 although I have never stayed there. We go to Indy a lot and stay at the Indianapolis State Fairgrounds. The other campgrounds around Indy are not convenient for us. Good luck. You'll enjoy the western US.
Shawn E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Pass through Indy on the bypass that circles Indy and the next town going west I-70 is Brownsburg Indiana. Brownsburg has a Walmart and a Bob Evans (Great Gravy) restaurant in the same center. Very quiet and safe overnite.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
Pass through Indy on the bypass that circles Indy and the next town going west I-70 is Brownsburg Indiana. Brownsburg has a Walmart and a Bob Evans (Great Gravy) restaurant in the same center. Very quiet and safe overnite.
This info is partially wrong, unfortunately. I-70 does not go past Brownsburg, that is I-74 which heads northwest towards Omaha.

If you take I-70 west out of Indy, the first option would be a cracker barrel in Plainfield IN. I do not know about the option of stopping there overnight.
IvanBeausky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:07 PM   #10

Thanks all!! This is our first EVER RV trip...with 3 kids in our RV and my SIL and her 2 kids following along in their RV. We are so torn on whether we should just stop and sleep in an overnight location like a Walmart. Or bite the bullet and pay for a campground where the kids can have a little more fun, even though it is just for one night.

I will definitely take your suggestions with me and decide as we get there!

2002 F250 Diesel
irene67 is offline   Reply With Quote