Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2017, 05:36 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Overnighting Amarillo Texas

Making our first multi-day trip in June and plan on overnighting in Amarillo Texas. Any recommendations or discouragements for free overnighting in that area. The Allstays app gives the Walmarts mixed reviews.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 05:44 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm a bit confused on how a Walmart gets mixed reviews for an overnight stay.
It's a parking lot, how 'good' can it be?
I suppose it could be in an area that makes you uncomfortable, but you would know that the second you pull in, in which case it's time to move on.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:57 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I don't do a lot of parking lot overnighting, and while it seems that everyone knows about possibly staying at a Wal Mart, I read less about some other possible places that you may also be able to overnight in. For any of these places (including Wal Mart) you really must walk into the store and get management approval, first to be polite, but also because local city laws sometimes don't allow it, even if the store manager is not opposed personally. Anyway, I believe Cabellas stores typically allow it (one near me even has a dump station), I hear that Apple B's sometimes allows it, sometimes Churches will allow you to stay if it's not over the weekend, some Sam's Clubs and Costcos will allow it, and some shopping malls even have RV-specific (or bus) lots. There are many possibilities. I would personally map out my route and where I'd like to stop, get on Google maps satellite view, and scan for large parking lots near stores. Then, of course, call the store manager. I'm not a fan of the show-up-and-assume-it's-ok philosophy.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I'm a bit confused on how a Walmart gets mixed reviews for an overnight stay.
It's a parking lot, how 'good' can it be?
I suppose it could be in an area that makes you uncomfortable, but you would know that the second you pull in, in which case it's time to move on.
Some say it isn't allowed while others say it is ok. I guess reviews was the wrong word.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:05 AM   #5

Just west of amarillo at the NM border is a huge rest area. We stay there.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:15 AM   #6

boondocking

About 30 minutes east of Amarillo just off of I-40, there is McCellen Creek Grasslands with hookups. Check it out.
Notchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #7

Go big or go home!!

Just south of Amarillo is one of TEXAS'S biggest secrets:

Palo Duro Canyon State Park

It is the second largest canyon in the US.
You actually drive down into the bottom of the Canyon and camp in the Crown Jewel of the Texas State Park system.

You will see when you arrive that it is a WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE.
  • Big Rig sites
  • Wonderful 10 mile drive through the Canyon
  • World Class Mountain Biking
  • Wonderful Birding
  • Spectacular Flowers
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #8

Up from Amarilla is a town that's called Dumes. It has free camping at the city park with water and 30-50amps. Only thing bad about this park is the trains that run right by the park
kvm1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Palo Duro is a ways out of Amarillo, but worth the stop...

We too were just passing thru to get home from Durango and stayed in an rv park in east amarillo.

the Big Texan sent a stretched limo with longhorns on the hood to pick us up ...
their steak bites appetizer were great !
FUN night - no worries about drinking and driving!
met people from Ireland that KNEW how to party !
Old 03-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Palo Duro is a ways out of Amarillo, but worth the stop...

We too were just passing thru to get home from Durango and stayed in an rv park in east amarillo.

the Big Texan sent a stretched limo with longhorns on the hood to pick us up ...
their steak bites appetizer were great !
FUN night - no worries about drinking and driving!
met people from Ireland that KNEW how to party !
Could not recall the name of the park but your post brought back The Big Texan and the limo with the big horns, [emoji12] great food. In fact there was so much we ate the rest the next day for lunch.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Some say it isn't allowed while others say it is ok. I guess reviews was the wrong word.
Ah, thanks you, that makes ever so much more sense.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #12

Another option if it isn't too hot...the nice State Rest area at MM76 (across from the Flying J) has a dedicated space for about 5 RVs away from the truck area. 24-hr security. Dumas, as mentioned, is/has electricity, but fills up early. Crosbyton/Littlefield/Levelland all have city parks with free space/electricity, if they are on your route. Dumas also has a WalMart with plenty of space.
There is the Oasis RV Park on the west side that is super nice, but about $35/night.
KOA on the NW corner of the bypass from 40 to 287.
If you haven't seen/been to a TX DOT Safety rest area, you will be impressed--they are located West of Quanah and east of Childress, both sides of highway. Extremely clean restrooms and plenty of lighted parking space.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:24 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
https://www.myrvoasis.com/
we stayed a week here a few years ago....fantastic
super clean bath suites and .50 laundry
each bath suite is its own full bathroom, and its all yours.

concrete parking spots for rv,
great pool
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:26 PM   #14

Looking at my ALLSTAYS Camp & RV app, 3 of the 4 Walmarts should be okay for an overnight. The best one is on 5730 West Amarillo Blvd as one user in May 2016 indicated it has signs for designated places for RVs to park. There are also 3 Walmart Neighborhood Markets in Amarillo but none offer overnight parking. I like my ALLSTAYS App and those times that I do use a Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc, for a quick overnight I try to leave feedback so others can learn from my experience.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas