Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #1

Overnighting in Yellowstone

I'm staying at yellowstone valley rv outside the east entrance and know it's going to be hard to see the whole park on day drives so I'm thinking of staying around mammoth for a night to get a jump on that end of the park. What would y'all recommend for a lodge or motel in that area I could stay at while driving the toad. I will be in yellowstone from aug.27-sept.4

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 11:21 PM   #2

Here are some in Gardiner, Montana just outside the park near Mammoth:

The 5 Best Gardiner Hotels on TripAdvisor - Prices & Reviews for the Top Rated Accommodation in Gardiner, MT

Here are lodges in Yellowstone:

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/lodging.htm

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:54 PM   #3

I think it may be difficult to find a place to stay without a reservation. It appears that all the places in the park are full and anything near the gates (West Yellowstone, Gardiner, etc) will be hard to find. Best chance is to just start calling.
We are living at Old Faithful for the summer and just traveled to Cody and back yesterday (Sunday) and it appeared all the facilities were full.

Visitation at Yellowstone is up about 30% from last year. About 8 miles of the road between Mammoth and Norris is under construction and is gravel and mud and is closed at night. Makes for a long trip from the Mammoth area.
The traffic at the east gate yesterday morning was not bad. The traffic at the west gate in the mornings has been horrendous. Morning entries have taken up to 2 hours. Late morning and afternoon waits not so bad. Least busy days in the park have been ,surprisingly, Friday and Saturday.

All that said, what a delightful place.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:52 AM   #4

I'd say that most all kids will be back in school at your visit time. Lot less traffic. I'd check motels in West Yellowstone
Do the south & west side of the park from there and the North & east side from your East gate location.
A trip to the N/E entrance traveling the Beartooth HWY well worth the drive in your toad.

Russell
Old 08-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
I'd say that most all kids will be back in school at your visit time. Lot less traffic. I'd check motels in West Yellowstone
Do the south & west side of the park from there and the North & east side from your East gate location.
A trip to the N/E entrance traveling the Beartooth HWY well worth the drive in your toad.

Russell
Where in west Yellowstone would you recommend? I had thought about getting a spot in grizzly rv park for a few days but hate to move base camp.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:59 AM   #6

Grizzly is arguably the nicest park in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
The traffic at the west gate in the mornings has been horrendous. Morning entries have taken up to 2 hours.
The west gate is where Grizzly RV park is. Fishing Bridge may not be the very best place to stay but at least you're IN the park and don't have to wait at the west gate. You're out touring all day anyway if you're really exploring Yellowstone. No reason to sit at your campsite so it really doesn't matter what the campground looks like, If you want to do anything in West Yellowstone, take the drive out of the park in the afternoon, do your trinket shopping and enter the gate after dinner. Then you won't have traffic.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Grizzly is arguably the nicest park in the area.
That's funny. We stayed at the West Entrance KOA two months ago and toured Yellowstone with a tour bus company. One of our pick-up stops was at Grizzly and my daughter (age 28) said of it, "This is like camping in a golf course!" She didn't like it. She preferred where we stayed, despite the mosquitoes.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake74 View Post
Where in west Yellowstone would you recommend? I had thought about getting a spot in grizzly rv park for a few days but hate to move base camp.

Well I though you were staying at Yellowstone between Cody & east gate-- then traveling into the park with your toad --and planed to stay in in a motel??

But anyway. grizzly is a great park. Bit pricy but nice. Walking distance to restaurants in West Yellowstone. Just a few blocks from the West gate.

In west Yellowstone Grizzly is where I've stayed when in the RV. Can't remember the name of the motel we have stayed in. It was large log motel.

Russell
Old 08-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Well I though you were staying at Yellowstone between Cody & east gate-- then traveling into the park with your toad --and planed to stay in in a motel??

But anyway. grizzly is a great park. Bit pricy but nice. Walking distance to restaurants in West Yellowstone. Just a few blocks from the West gate.

In west Yellowstone Grizzly is where I've stayed when in the RV. Can't remember the name of the motel we have stayed in. It was large log motel.

Russell
I am staying between Cody and east gate. But was wondering if it might be better to split it up between staying at east gate a few days then moving over to grizzly a few days or getting a room for the night at north gate. Can I see the park by just staying at the east gate and using my toad? It's my first time going to yellowstone.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with a previous post about the condition of the road between Norris Junction and Mammoth. It's a mess and avoid it. We were just there at the end of June with a Scout trip. There's also construction between Old Faithful and the West Thumb but I did not witness that first hand.

We backpacked through the Lamar Valley for a week. NO construction or traffic there!!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:37 PM   #12

Overnighting in Yellowstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake74 View Post
I am staying between Cody and east gate. But was wondering if it might be better to split it up between staying at east gate a few days then moving over to grizzly a few days or getting a room for the night at north gate. Can I see the park by just staying at the east gate and using my toad? It's my first time going to yellowstone.

Yes I know right where you are staying. I've stayed there. Ok you can do it either way. I would split it up. Some at east gate & some at West Yellowstone.

For me a drive thru our National Parks in the MH is great. You set up high in the MH and can see over all the cars. When traffic stops for animals you have the top row of seats. Great view.

I've been thru the North Gate at Gardner but have never stayed up there. The two time I was up there we saw elk just walking right at the edge of town.

For several years we toured Yellowstone in the winter on snowmobiles. Really awesome in the winter. Rules & regulations have made it almost impossible for us to enjoy it anymore in the winter.

Russell
Old 08-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #13

If you're going to be at the east gate for 9 nights, I'd recommend splitting it up or you'll do a lot of driving.

What do you have against packing up and moving? You've been doing that on your whole trip to Yellowstone. Treat it as just another traveling day move.

If you're there in a RV I sure wouldn't get a motel room to avoid moving.

Personally, we love the north entrance area for it's quietness and better chances of seeing animals.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If you're going to be at the east gate for 9 nights, I'd recommend splitting it up or you'll do a lot of driving.

What do you have against packing up and moving? You've been doing that on your whole trip to Yellowstone. Treat it as just another traveling day move.

If you're there in a RV I sure wouldn't get a motel room to avoid moving.

Personally, we love the north entrance area for it's quietness and better chances of seeing animals.
What is a good CG outside of north entrance?