Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pa Elk loop tour

This is a 127 mile loop tour road thru Elk country. Any one done this in a 12' high motor. i don't want damage the roof. thank you.

Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poordave View Post
This is a 127 mile loop tour road thru Elk country. Any one done this in a 12' high motor. i don't want damage the roof. thank you.

Dave
I am not sure what routes you are thinking of taking, but if the area is in Elk county/Benezette, PA, I would suggest doing it in a auto, roads are narrow, way out in the sticks, and you want to be able to pull over when you see them and park.
Free Roaming Elk Herd Viewing in Benezette, PA | Learn About Elk

Old 04-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Over the last 10 years we have camped at the following state parks in that area: Kettle Creek, Ole Bull and Hyner Run. On the map above, there is a "nasty hill" between #17 (East Branch Swamp) and the town of Renovo. A 1400' elevation drop, very narrow, twisty and very little room between you and the guardrail if your going North. The hill is about 6 miles long with a steady grade with no pull offs. Even pulling a 25' tt I would never do it again.

The normal route we take out of I-80 / DuBois area is 255 to 555 to 120...No problem at all...nice 45-55mph route, good width on the road. If your planning to stay at Kettle Creek State Park, the road to the park from the south (Kettle Creek Rd #4001) is somewhat narrow with a few hard curves. Not too much of an issue because there is very little traffic on that road. The campground did have a bunch of 35'tt's in there. A 40' RV class A might be an issue. Kettle Creek pictures

Hyner Run did have "some" good sized sites for 35' + RV's. Hyner Run pictures

Ole Bull State Park pictures
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
thank you. Probably go in the car.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
In your Class C I really don't see any problems in doing this loop and have to worry about "roof damage". Other than the "nasty hill" I mentioned above , all the secondary roads are fine with good width. We love many of the Northern PA. State parks. See picture galleries below:

~ Cook Forest

~ Clear Creek

~ Kettle Creek

~ Ole Bull

~ Hyner Run & Hyner View

~ Worlds End
Old 04-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I am not sure what routes you are thinking of taking, but if the area is in Elk county/Benezette, PA, I would suggest doing it in a auto, roads are narrow, way out in the sticks, and you want to be able to pull over when you see them and park.
Free Roaming Elk Herd Viewing in Benezette, PA | Learn About Elk

Are the trails off-road or walking that are shown on the map?
Old 04-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
I am not sure, I just posted that photo from a web search that I did.
I am sure you can do a search, and find hiking trails of the area if that is what you are looking for. I never have hiked the area, but have spent decades riding my Harley all around there.............wonderful riding
I am 40-50 miles northwest of that area...........
Old 04-11-2016, 07:21 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
The pink dotted ones are just a few of the many many & many hiking trail's in that area. There is likely 20 times the number of hiking trails there than the map shows. Also many ATV trails.

All the black colored ones are roads, The real thin colored black / gray ones can be just gravel roads. Case in point, if you look at the road that runs between Hyner Run and Hyner View State Parks, just east of there is where it starts to go up the mountain side. It's fine to the campground, but after that it gets down to a single lane / narrow gravel road all the way to the top of the mountain.