Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #1

Pacific to Atlantic and Back

I've landed this trip report in another forum a few days ago, then just discovered this category for "trip reports" ... so I'm putting in this thread for readers here.

We have a trip planned for a 7-week period this Fall. I've already started a blog that "previews" how we dreamed about crossing the country (even 50 years ago), and then more recently how we came up with a plan (but want to stay flexible!). When the trip starts, the blog will become the trip report.

We live near Sacramento, CA, and are pulling a pop-up. About every fifth night or so we forsake camping and stay in a hotel instead. Half the days (24) we don't drive so we can visit where we are. And the 25 driving days are not bad--averaging about 350 per day.

Would love the conversation this might generate! We keep the blog at Coast-to-Coast Road Trip! | Cal Stevens' blog across the States and hope to exchange thoughts and commentary with you here.

Cheers!

Cal & Nancy
CalStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #2

Cal, my DW and I did a similar trip 3 years ago, Vancouver B.C. to Halifax N.S. and logged 13,500 miles. Crossing west to east mostly in Canada and returning through the northern USA. We were on the road 9 weeks.
The advice I give anyone planning a similar trip is; look at your planned route and mark off areas close to home that you have been to before, or are likely to see on a shorter trip at a later date, and go through them quickly. Get across the country to the area you want to see, this trip, and are likely not going to get to again, and spend the majority of your time there.
On a side note , on the east coast , many RV parks start closing for the winter after mid Sept. something we were not expecting, being west coast natives . Even in the northern plains , in early Oct. we were in parks that were in the process of shutting down for the winter.
JMHO. From Ca. cross the country on a northern route and be prepared to return across the south to avoid cold weather.
Safe travels
Old 07-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #3

To Skip, your input matches my thinking. Take a look at the plan in the blog. Also getting reservations were a good idea because of what you said about some places closing for the season. Also follow your advice about a northern route early in the fall, southern route later coming back west.

Thanks, Skip!

Cal
CalStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #4

Any time; and something I forgot to mention, Passport America is big on the east coast, and their membership cost , will be paid back in 3 nights stay.
Maybe I should check out the blog before I say anything else.