Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2018, 03:49 AM   #15
RV LIFE Support Team

Wow, 2 years to plan a short trip and you made reservations. OCD. You are over packing. We full time and carry 10 days worth of clothes, wash once a week at a laundromat. Carry 4 pairs shorts, 2 pair jeans. Only short sleeve shirts, we layer if in cold weather. Have a sweatshirt, nylon jacket, med. weight jacket and goose down. Hiking boots and sneaks.

Haven't felt we needed anything more.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2018, 04:19 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Our trips are typically 1-3 months............

You will end up, no matter what your intentions are, with the following:

Your closet will be full, including some “nicer” clothes “just in case” that you’ll never wear.

Your drawers will be full,,,
I don't think I've ever read a better summation. A bit like cleaning out the coach basement storage each spring and finding stuff that hasn't been touched since the last clean out but I have it "just in case".

Old 11-09-2018, 04:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Our trips are typically 1-3 months............

You will end up, no matter what your intentions are, with the following:

Your closet will be full, including some “nicer” clothes “just in case” that you’ll never wear.

Your drawers will be full

You’ll probably end up with an extra bin in the basement with heavy jackets / sweaters “just in case”; you’ll never wear them even if it gets cold because it’s too much of a pita to get them out.

You’ll take extra towels and bed linens “just in case” and store them under the bed; you may actually use them just because they are there (meaning, your wife is tired of using the other linens and towels all the time ) even though they really weren’t needed.

You buy more stuff along the way, well, just because you will.

You’ll end up wearing the sos every day, and no more than 1/2 of what you take

I just read this response to my wife, and she agrees with my assessment

I am going to save this post, "just in case"...thanks
Ratpack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
Where is your homebase in Sedona? CG name? We want to check out as many locations in the area as possible.

We bought a s&b here and built a garage next to it for the MH. The nicest CG here is Rancho Sedona but it would be expensive for full time home basing. When we needed a several month stay (while our house was being remodeled) we stayed in Cottonwood (about 20 miles away) at Rio Verde RV Park. Let me know if you need more info.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #19

Quote:
After over 40 years of camping trips no longer than 2-1/2 weeks, due to work, we're headed out in January for our FIRST post retirement 3-1/2 month long trip from Michigan across the southwestern states, ending up in Florida's Fort Wilderness to meet up with the grandchildren before returning home. We've been planning this trip for over two years, and have researched and reserved all of our overnight stops and stays......none longer than 16 nights, as we have MUCH to see! We're assuming we may find a place or two in our journey to spend more time at next winter. But.....how do all of you PACK for such a long and varied trip? I know we'll have some very cool days and evenings in norther Arizona (Sedona), as well as weather changes along the coast. We were thinking if we brought 2 weeks worth of long pants/long sleeve shirts and 2 weeks worth of shorts/t-shirts, that we'd be ok? Of course, we will be doing laundry along the way. We've used our washer and dryer in our motorhome, and it works well on small loads. Advice from you seasoned travelers?? Things we shouldn't forget? (Besides my wine and the husband's craft beer! )
We really wouldn't pack any different then if it was a week long trip. We keep our 5ver packed with our clothes all the time. The basement stays packed all the time, and there's not much I ever pack before a trip. We try to keep the rv ready to go at all times. Yesterday fires broke out in Ca. AGAIN. the wife grabbed some pictures and a few other things ( fire is not close to us, but after last years fires, she's nervous) that we wouldn't normally bring on a trip and packed them in the rv. We keep our RV kind of like an earthquake preparation kit. lots of can goods' water, cloths, propane full, tools. Only thing we really ever need to pack is parishibles and medications. I even have 2 Cpap machines in the RV in case one breaks while on a trip.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Wow, 2 years to plan a short trip and you made reservations. OCD. You are over packing. We full time and carry 10 days worth of clothes, wash once a week at a laundromat. Carry 4 pairs shorts, 2 pair jeans. Only short sleeve shirts, we layer if in cold weather. Have a sweatshirt, nylon jacket, med. weight jacket and goose down. Hiking boots and sneaks.
Haven't felt we needed anything more.
Sometimes an idea for a trip gets kicked around for a while before it's acted on. I'm sure we all have trip ideas in our heads that we mull about for years, otherwise you'd never hear someone say "I've always wanted to go here or there". Nothing wrong with reservations either. Some people just like the security. Not OCD. That's a serious clinical condition.

This thread has been informative for me as I'll probably be taking some longer month+ trips next year. It confirms my thinking and what we basically do now for trips longer than a week. You really just need to pack for what you need between doing laundry. Anything else you can pick up on the road.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #21

1) Take less "stuff" than you think you'll need....believe me, you won't need/use most of it!

2) Fort Wilderness??? Take more "money" than you think you'll need....believe me, you'll use most/all of it!

HAVE A GREAT SAFE AND HAPPY TRIP!!! Say hi to the Mouse for me!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Wow, 2 years to plan a short trip and you made reservations. OCD.
The OP stated he's been working and was planning his first post-retirement trip of 3.5 months. That's a little different than planning a 2-week vacation. He had plenty of time to dream about the first BIG trip.... an exciting time for them.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #23

We've had to learn to layer for the past quarter century due to our climate changing rapidly from sun up to sun down and all in-between most days. We do the same when on longer RV trips with varying climates. We have always kept a pair of each permanently on board: mittens, Toque, work or winter boots/sandals/flipflops/watershoes/trainers. Ten sets underwear, 5 pairs socks which we hardly ever wear (the socks that is LOL).

We have an all in one laundry on board, but generally carry equivalent of two half weeks clothing for nice weather = 15 Tops/Tees (one versatile for evening wear), 5 combo shorts/capris, plus couple pair of long pants, two leggings, two sweat shirts, 2 cardigans, one ultra warm but light microfibre jacket, fleece and a rain jacket. Do bulk laundry about every 2.5 weeks unless (rarely) hooked up and do it onboard, and hand wash small items in-between like dishcloths, face cloths, underwear, swimsuits. Worked well for us for 15 years on many extended trips.

The most important things for us to take are things we totally enjoy and can't easily source on our travels. For example, we love our specific brand of teabags, so 10+ big boxes typically go with us, certain brand of marmalade, salad cream specific brand, medications, and so on. If you know there is something like that, which you consume/use that makes you happiest I'd prioritise stocking up on those things. For everything else there really is Walmart LOL.
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #24

We did this last year for the 1st time. All I can tell you is that we took more stuff than we needed. We don't have a W/D but made out just fine.
We did take a carryon suitcase in the event we had to fly back but, fortunately, didn't use it except when we visited friends and stayed in their house.

Did enjoy some warm sleeping bags on occassion.

We did pack everything which went in the basement storage (not pass-through) in Sterilite 64qt tubs which fit perfectly. Made it easy to find stuff and kept everything clean and neat.

Have a great trip.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:10 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
1 weeks worth of cloths, food, supplies. Know the location of nearby Walmart and laundry mat.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Talking Thank you!

Thank you, everyone!! GREAT ADVICE!! I know that wherever I go, I tend to overpack. I've gotten better over the years, but I'll try to heed your advice.

I can't pick up clothes along the way for myself at Target or Walmart because I've suffered a spinal cord injury, and also my femoral nerve was crushed, so the only thing that I can have touch my legs......that doesn't cause pain......is brushed poly or certain types of rayon. Therefore, I make all of my leggings, pants and tops. Thank GOODNESS I can sew! LOL! We can always have one of our daughters mail a clothing item to me, if needed. I picked up plenty of priority envelopes at the post office for them. The husband can find clothing items anywhere! He's a very standard size.

The reason I've worked on planning this trip for two years is because I was recovering from my injuries, and a stroke that I suffered two months after the injury/surgery. They then discovered melanoma this past summer......so I'm ready to GET OUT OF DODGE, if you know what I mean! However, I AM OCD, and freely admit it. That's why I was a cherished school secretary for over 40 years. Ha ha! We have reservations made for the entire month of September, 2019, to head out west and see Yellowstone, etc. And yes, I've already started planning a trip up the east coast for the summer of 2020.

Again, thank you sooooooooooooo much for the advice!! Keep it coming!
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Thank you, everyone!! GREAT ADVICE!! I know that wherever I go, I tend to overpack. I've gotten better over the years, but I'll try to heed your advice.

I can't pick up clothes along the way for myself at Target or Walmart because I've suffered a spinal cord injury, and also my femoral nerve was crushed, so the only thing that I can have touch my legs......that doesn't cause pain......is brushed poly or certain types of rayon. Therefore, I make all of my leggings, pants and tops. Thank GOODNESS I can sew! LOL! We can always have one of our daughters mail a clothing item to me, if needed. I picked up plenty of priority envelopes at the post office for them. The husband can find clothing items anywhere! He's a very standard size.

The reason I've worked on planning this trip for two years is because I was recovering from my injuries, and a stroke that I suffered two months after the injury/surgery. They then discovered melanoma this past summer......so I'm ready to GET OUT OF DODGE, if you know what I mean! However, I AM OCD, and freely admit it. That's why I was a cherished school secretary for over 40 years. Ha ha! We have reservations made for the entire month of September, 2019, to head out west and see Yellowstone, etc. And yes, I've already started planning a trip up the east coast for the summer of 2020.

Again, thank you sooooooooooooo much for the advice!! Keep it coming!
Enjoy your trip, you definitely deserve it.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #28

A bucket of quarters will be handy for doing laundry. Also bring some washing detergent or softener. Remember you can always go to the store for more food and other essentials so don’t pack everything you might need.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice