Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Page, AZ - How Many Days.

Can I hope to see/hike/visit Hanging Gardens, Horseshoe Bend, and Water Hole Canyon all in one day? I'm thinking I might need 2 but am unsure about how long we would need at each spot.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Two days is probably good, also a tour the Glen Canyon damn is interesting. Also close by, about a 45 mile drive, I would recommend camping at Lee's Ferry Campground for a few days with several nice hikes in Marble Canyon. Also spend some time on the walking bridge next to the Hwy 89 bridge at Marble Canyon watching the condors.

More Info : https://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/camping.htm

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I plan to get over to Marble Canyon. Probably more than once. I've pretty much chosen to stay in Page and travel from there on day trips but I can always change my mind. From Page I'll go to the Praia area (Praia Ranger Station area). So I didn't want to dry camp at Lee's Ferry and again at Praia.

I'll plan on at least one extra day at Page.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Plenty to do in the area for sure. About 40 mi west is a hike called Wire Pass. It is 4 mi R/T. It is a shortcut to the more famous and much longer Buckskin Gulch. It is definitely worth the drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	229118   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0412.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	229119  

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	229120  
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Plenty to do in the area for sure. About 40 mi west is a hike called Wire Pass. It is 4 mi R/T. It is a shortcut to the more famous and much longer Buckskin Gulch. It is definitely worth the drive.
Scot,

Love those Pic's

Thanks for sharing - OP - Last time we were in Page we stayed for a week and would have loved another. Lot's to be Discovered in and around.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:09 AM   #6

Stayed in Page at the Wahweap Marina campground for several days this summer. It’s a really nice place to stay.......... the wind can come up instantly so be very cognizant of that if you have your awning out; we actually got hit by a dust devil one afternoon which was an interesting experience.

In addition to things noted above, there are the slot Canyon tours (we did lower, but not upper) and we did a raft trip from the bottom of the dam to Lees Ferry which goes through horseshoe bend; it’s a very pleasant float trip, not a whitewater “adventure”. After seeing horseshoe from the river, the trek out to it from above was a bit underwhelming....... we also rented a kayak and paddled around the shoreline one afternoon.
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #7

Is the hiking "dog friendly"?
Old 12-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
I plan to get over to Marble Canyon. Probably more than once. I've pretty much chosen to stay in Page and travel from there on day trips but I can always change my mind. From Page I'll go to the Praia area (Praia Ranger Station area). So I didn't want to dry camp at Lee's Ferry and again at Praia.

I'll plan on at least one extra day at Page.
On the way to the Paria you can dump and recharge in Kanab, UT.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
If you are a photographer, you might want to schedule a photo tour of one of the Navajo slot canyons. I've done both The Upper Antelope & Lower Antelope canyons.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ASC_7694.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	229178  
Old 12-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Wow. All great ideas. So ya know.....

We plan to hike and get at least one tour in Coyote Buttes. While not really holding my breath, I did put in for a chance to get a permit for The Wave.

Betr2Trvl, great idea - float trip from the dam to Lee's Ferry. Gotta check that out. We did the Antelope Canyon tour - too crowded, not fun, but glad we did it as it opened our eyes to the possibilities around the area (hence the return trip).

Busskipper, good idea - 2 weeks. Especially since I learned of the raft trip and I forgot to add time for a tour of the dam. The last time there were conducting a caravan and I had to help some folks make RV repairs at that stop and missed going into the dam.

Scottybdivin, did you drive down to Wirepass (and/or Buckskin Gulch) and then hike? Or did you hike from UT89?
Old 12-16-2018, 03:46 PM   #11

Quote:
While not really holding my breath, I did put in for a chance to get a permit for The Wave.
You may be pleasantly surprised on your chances of The Wave. We went in person for one of the few permits. There were over 100 there and many had come for a try previous days. They draw the 10 names from a jar and we were chosen!! It's a very strenuous hike especially in hot weather. We were there in May. No trail to follow. They give you landmarks to look for. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:46 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Scottybdivin, did you drive down to Wirepass (and/or Buckskin Gulch) and then hike? Or did you hike from UT89?
Yes, we drove to the parking area. It is the same trailhead as "The Wave", which veres off of Wire Pass Trail about 1/2 mi from the TH. The road is passable in a car as long as it's not muddy. There were small cars in the parking area. There are self pay kiosks at the TH.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:24 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Can I hope to see/hike/visit Hanging Gardens, Horseshoe Bend, and Water Hole Canyon all in one day? I'm thinking I might need 2 but am unsure about how long we would need at each spot.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Oh you should consider staying at Wahweap campground inside the park. Views of the lake, dinning, boat tours of the lake, hiking and access to your wish list. Dam tour and visitor center is a must. A week is not enough in my opinion. We are looking forward to retuning very soon.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've stayed at Lone Rock Beach on Lake Powell. It's a federal recreation area. No hookups but trash, water, outhouses and dump are available. $14/day or $7 with senior or access pass. Great kayaking, lovely sand, but be careful to stay on the gravel covered sand or you'll get stuck.

It's just over the border in Utah by about 300’. Sometimes my iPhone and iPad can’t agree about what time it is.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote