Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #1

Pagosa Springs Colorado

I am heading for Pagosa Springs Colorado this summer and was interested in the easiest way to get there in a 42 foot class A diesel. Headed from Oklahoma
Never been in the mountains with the RV
THANKS
bounder50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 01:17 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not knowing exactly where you're departing from, I'd recommend that you head over to Santa Fe, NM on I-40, then turn north on highway 84 through Santa Fe.

That's the route where you will not run into mountain passes. There are some minor grades coming into Pagosa from the south (highway84), but they are not very steep, and not very long.

Highway 160 across southern CO involves a couple, the worst of which is Wolf Creek Pass, just 30 miles east of Pagosa Springs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=moun...+site:irv2.com

Here's a link to a discussion on Wolf Creek Pass:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/color...ip-279421.html

There are lots of discussions on mountain driving on IRV2.

https://www.google.com/search?q=moun...earch=irv2.com

Hope that helps!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
SPRING TIME IN THE ROCKIES is defined as the first time a Winnebago overheats coming over Wolf Creek!!
Old 03-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Not knowing exactly where you're departing from, I'd recommend that you head over to Santa Fe, NM on I-40, then turn north on highway 84 through Santa Fe.

That's the route where you will not run into mountain passes. There are some minor grades coming into Pagosa from the south (highway84), but they are not very steep, and not very long.
I agree... We live in Tulsa and I love heading through the Oklahoma Panhandle but the easiest drive is I-40.

Pagossa Springs is a great place to spend the summer!!
Craiginok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #5
UAV

Been over Wolf Creek Pass numerous times.

Should not be a big deal...just go slow and use your Jake/Exhaust Brake if you have one.

If you don't, just downshift so you don't have to ride your brakes too much.

No problemo. Beautiful area.
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post

Highway 160 across southern CO involves a couple, the worst of which is Wolf Creek Pass, just 30 miles east of Pagosa Springs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=moun...+site:irv2.com

Here's a link to a discussion on Wolf Creek Pass:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/color...ip-279421.html

There are lots of discussions on mountain driving on IRV2.

https://www.google.com/search?q=moun...earch=irv2.com

Hope that helps!
yep thats how we went.
take your time and enjoy the trip.
the long pass was interesting...its a long two lane . i rode the exhaust brake the whole way down coming back, it does seem to go on forever
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:10 AM   #7

Hi,

Getting ready to do this trip next week. We have 45' class A towing a Jeep Wrangler. Mapquest has us on 285/84 the whole way. Any potential issues we should know about along this route?

Thanks.
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
"Mapquest has us on 285/84 the whole way." No way would I go around two sides of a triangle just to avoid Wolfe Creek Pass...one of the easier CO passes. At Hooper I would take 112 to 160...anywhere from 100 to 160 miles shorter than what you posted. Your 42' has an exhaust/Jake brake so at a slow enough speed you will not even have to use your brakes coming down. There is only one major switch back and it's not that bad. I usually go a little faster so every 30 seconds or before a sharp curve I have to get on the brakes for 5 seconds to slow down,.
Now Monarch Pass on 50 is one of the more difficult ones, but here again if you keep your speed down by selecting a low enough gear you will not have a problem.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #9

Your coach will get you anywhere you want to go, the only limitation is the driver.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounder50 View Post
I am heading for Pagosa Springs Colorado this summer and was interested in the easiest way to get there in a 42 foot class A diesel. Headed from Oklahoma
Never been in the mountains with the RV
THANKS
If you're comfortable mountain driving Wolf Creek Pass has beautiful scenery. Plus you can play the song while you're coming down!
uncbearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #11

Semi trucks drive over that pass every day of the year with no issues. It is a major cross-country US Highway.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #12

I've driven Wolf Creek Pass a hundred times. Late this summer will be the first time with a 44ft fifth wheel strapped to my rear end. I expect it to be a new experience, but knowing it well will help.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Semi trucks drive over that pass every day of the year with no issues. It is a major cross-country US Highway.
Indeed, 160 is a major east-west route in southern Colorado. However, there are frequent crashes involving semi trucks. Sadly there are fatalities involved. Many of these incidents involve drivers with no mountain driving experience who simply drive too fast.

My advice, having driven Wolf Creek Pass frequently, is keep the speed at no more than 35, use the engine brake, exercise caution, don't ride the brakes and overheat them, and enjoy the scenery - it's one of the most beautiful places in the US.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #14
Commercial Member

pagosajoe has it right. slow and easy works. ive taken my 36 ft meridian and toad over wolf creek pass a couple of times. im not fond of doing it, but to save time, i do.
looking down the canyons on the way, you will see wrecks marked with a red x spray painted on top. they are old wrecks.
however, if you are the least bit uncomfortable going this route, then by all means, go around. its better to drive a little further and feel safe.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado