Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2019, 04:17 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
I stayed at the Sagebrush campground, site 129, March 20 - 22, 2016. Water & electric, and 98°F during the afternoon. I would have preferred the Mesquite campground, but no sites were available when I arrived (2 opened up after I got set up).

Site 129:

The Turkeys:

The Lighthouse:
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2019, 07:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Take your birthday suit, it will be too hot for anything else.
I wear my birthday suit as underwear - under all of my other clothes, all the time.
Rather modest fellow, I am.

We are native Texas residents. We spend a lot of time outside, on the tractors and tending to our livestock. The heat, while uncomfortable at times, doesn't keep us locked away inside. Besides, there's a small "river" flowing through there. You can sit in it for awhile to cool off. Around the house we just strip off and jump in the pool. The cows aren't even shocked any more.

If you get into Canyon, the Panhandle-Plains Museum is incredible. We spent all day there once. Our son, although pretty young at the time, still has vivid recollections of the displays - even after 21 years.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we stayed in amarillo which is a short run to palo duro canyon. we also went to the RV musuem at the

Jack Sisemore Traveland RV Museum

https://www.myrvoasis.com/gallery
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:06 PM   #18

We stayed there 2 summers ago on our way to Colorado from Houston. Spring and fall are probably better temperature wise, but summer isn't bad. We stayed in the mesquite camp grounds and loved it.

A couple of the tourist things are to eat at the big Texan and visit the Cadillac ranch.

The quarterhorse museum is also another cheap place for some entertainment.

If you get a chance, stay at caprock canyon state park. It has a heard of buffalo, plus alot of other wild life on top of being a beautiful park.
csj3790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are going there from Houston plan to visit Caprock Canyon on the way, it is better in many ways (Bison roam free, sometimes through the campsites). Both parks are great!
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:20 PM   #20

Hi,
We were there in July 2016 and discovered that it is extremely hot...well over 100°. Thank goodness for AC. I don't remember which campground we were at, but there was a viewing blind set up to watch critters without dusturbing them. We will go back again but it will likely be in later in the year. I look forward to adding sight seeing places /activities from other people to our trip!
Irene Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #21

We were at Palo Duro last week! We did not stay in the State Park. The campgrounds were closed for research students. The park was open. We stayed at Oasis RV Park in Amarillo and drove to the park. Was about a 45 min drive, but not a bad one.

On the return trip to Houston, we broke it into two days, so we spent the night in Roanoke (just north of Fort Worth). Route was 287 to 114 to I-35. All of the roads were fine for our 42 foot DP.

We did a horseback ride in the canyon with Old West Stables (located in the park), did some hiking, and drove around. (we did see a couple of wild turkeys which my son loved!) I would go back for sure.

We have a detailed description on our blog. Let me know if you are interested in the address.
shuggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuggins View Post
We were at Palo Duro last week! We did not stay in the State Park. The campgrounds were closed for research students. The park was open. We stayed at Oasis RV Park in Amarillo and drove to the park. Was about a 45 min drive, but not a bad one.

On the return trip to Houston, we broke it into two days, so we spent the night in Roanoke (just north of Fort Worth). Route was 287 to 114 to I-35. All of the roads were fine for our 42 foot DP.

We did a horseback ride in the canyon with Old West Stables (located in the park), did some hiking, and drove around. (we did see a couple of wild turkeys which my son loved!) I would go back for sure.

We have a detailed description on our blog. Let me know if you are interested in the address.
I also stayed at Oasis. Was July, 110 in the sun. Oasis with a pool and 50 amp service was preferred over a state campground. Love touring Palo Furo, but did most from the truck due to heat.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:58 PM   #23

Man, we had a great time!

Yep, it was hot. But, we did all of our longer hikes early in the day before the temperatures got unbearable. The hike back to the Lighthouse was fairly easy, but the ending was anticlimactic. Did the play. My wife really enjoyed that. You can skip the catered dinner unless you long for uninspired BBQ. I wouldn't even mention them as a poor representation of Texas BBQ.

The Panhandle-Plains museum was impressive - it has changed some over the last 20 years since we were there.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:09 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
It has been about 5 years, but it seems to me there was a decent RV park in Canyon TX, much closer than Oasis in AMA.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote