Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2019, 10:02 AM   #1

Palo Duro Canyon

Needs more info about this place, where's the best RV park and what best month to go. What best route to take from houston ? What to expect to see and worst things to happen (if any). I read some reviews but those reviews are kind old, so I'm hoping some RVers who just spend time there lately to give me more insight. Thanks and have a wonderful time RVing to all.
muscob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #2

The best 'RV Park'??? Why not stay in Palo Duro itself? It's a beautiful place to stay. We liked the farthest campground you can drive... I believe it was Mesquite Campground.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:59 PM   #3

We stayed there twice, There are three campgrounds as I remember with hookups and some scattered site. . We stayed both times in the middle campground. The road down into the canyons is very steed with sharp turns. There are lots of deer and the turkeys come out looking for food in the evening. Very scenic place.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:06 PM   #4

Best times? Spring and fall--the only times to go to Texas. We never go there in summer and stay south of I-10 in winter. We stay in Colorado and northern New Mexico in summer because altitude = cool!
Old 03-28-2019, 07:39 PM   #5

Spring, early summer and fall are the best times to visit for more temperate climes, but don't miss out on seeing the play Texas! (a live outdoor drama in a wonderful rock surrounded amphitheater at the base of a cliff).

There is a great museum at the college in Canyon too. We spent all day there when our son was younger. Palo Duro is one of our most favorite parks.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:49 PM   #6

The campgrounds in the Canyon are great, and yes....must see the play "Texas."

A fun little side trip if you have a little time to kill while there is to see the RV museum in Amarillo. Essentially a free museum with a collection of vintage RV's at a local RV dealer in Amarillo...worth an hour or so for sure.
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were there 2 years ago, found out about it by accident. Unfortunately it was July and quite hot. We went early enough to see what we wanted to see and left by noon when it got to 100 deg. Even with the temps on the high side, it was a wonderful place to see! We stayed in an RV park in Amarillo about 20 or so miles away. Very nice park, full hookups (including 50amp).
kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #8

Heading there in Mid-July!
Can't wait!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:20 PM   #9

We went to see TEXAS! on July 3rd and found out they do fireworks on the 3rd and the 4th. Great time and it is hot everywhere then.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Heading there in Mid-July!
Can't wait!
Take your birthday suit, it will be too hot for anything else.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:40 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We stayed there on 10/22/2017 and stayed at the farthest end (8 miles in) and really enjoyed it. We weren't sure what to expect but were pleasantly surprised and would stay there again for sure. The drive down into the canyon was not too bad but definitely winding and fairly steep (in and out). We were in a 33' Class A and towing a VW Beetle and had no issues.

Clay & Marcy
2004 Winnebago Adv. G35U
, 1995 Tracker Toad, RVI3, eeZRV, Garmin RV 770 LMT-S, Viair
CEParosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:24 AM   #12

We somewhat stumbled upon the canyon while traveling west on I 40. That was in April 2017. While on the road, I called them and made a reservation for one night. We arrived and were completely surprised at how gorgeous it was. We stayed in Juniper Campground, with electric and water, paved pull thru site, picnic table, fire pit and a covered structure to offer some shade. It was hot, 92°. We toured around in our tow vehicle and stayed for two more nights.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2812.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	249579. Had no problems navigating the steep hill and switchbacks.
Gladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
A few years ago my career took me to Borger, TX where my wife, daughter and I resided for six years. The Palo Duro Canyon is one of several sites to enjoy in the Texas Panhandle. The City of Canyon has great shopping and dining that is expected of a "college town". Amarillo has good attractions including water park, amusement park, great dining and shopping, etc. Lake Meredith which is located between Amarillo and Borger is fun for a day on the water with a rental boat. Canyon and Amarillo have very nice golf courses.

I'd suggest visiting in late June / early July after "thunderstorm season" calms down and before the hot days of August arrive. As another poster said, seeing the play "Texas" at night in the Palo Duro Canyon is an absolute "must do". Spending a day exploring the Palo Duro Canyon by vehicle or foot is very enjoyable.

If time allows, Lubbock has much to offer and its only about a 90 minute drive south of Canyon. There are also nice wineries in the Lubbock area (west Texas is the grape growing region of the state). Hope this info is useful.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #14

It's a beautiful canyon as everyone has said. But - if it rains much then the low water bridges can easily flood and you'll be trapped until the water levels recede. After all - it's a canyon where everything flows downhill.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote