Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #1

Pancho Villa State Park

My wife and I decided to stay in southern New Mexico this winter. We bought an out of state permit for $225. WE stayed 2 weeks (the maximum allowed before you have to move) in the City of Rocks state park near Deming NM and then moved to Pancho Villa State Park at Columbus NM. It is an armpit, in my opinion. There is nothing in the samll town of Columbus. No movies, no ATT service--two cafes--both bad.
The park itself is awful. A frost killed all the cactus two years ago and none of it has been cleaned up. No sewer hookup in the park, but they do have water aand electric. It is dusty and windy. If I were you, I would avoid it if I could and that should be easy, as it is on the road to nowhere.

halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #2

We spent a week at New Years in Deming at Hidden Valley RV Park and thought about visiting the Pancho Villa State Park but it was to cold. How did you like the City of Rocks State Park? I've heard it is quite nice.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #3

The City of Rocks was very nice. We went to Faywood Hot Springs twice and it was enjoyable.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Have you done campground reviews in our campground section?

Click on "Campground", just below the banner photo at the top of the page.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Columbus has not changed significantly I'm over 70 years. My dad was the chief BP officer there in the early 40s. Had to bring water into town from Deming, we had the only generator on town, all the streets were dirt as was THE only road into town.

Only claim to fame was that Pancho Villa raided the place. We should have key him keep it.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
My wife and I decided to stay in southern New Mexico this winter. We bought an out of state permit for $225. WE stayed 2 weeks (the maximum allowed before you have to move) in the City of Rocks state park near Deming NM and then moved to Pancho Villa State Park at Columbus NM. It is an armpit, in my opinion. There is nothing in the small town of Columbus. No movies, no ATT service--two cafes--both bad.
The park itself is awful. A frost killed all the cactus two years ago and none of it has been cleaned up. No sewer hookup in the park, but they do have water aand electric. It is dusty and windy. If I were you, I would avoid it if I could and that should be easy, as it is on the road to nowhere.
I stayed in the park last year, and found it nothing like you state. The campsites are carved out of the desert and are landscaped very nicely. There is a great little museum on site, where I learned way more about the area and Pancho Villa than I was every taught in 16 years of schooling. There is also a dump station on site.

Did you happen to go across the border? If not, you missed a local treat, The "Pink Store" is fantastic place with very upscale Mexican pottery and decorative pieces. The staff is fantastic, and they even offered me a margarita while I shopped. The also have a restaurant with very good food and a mariachi band. The day I was there, about 20 Americans were there celebrating a birthday.

The showers/restrooms were clean and well attended, and they have a camp host available if you need any firewood, or other assistance.

If you like the desert, and peace and quite, you'll be hard pressed to find a better park, and for $8/day (with the pass) it would be near impossible to find any comparable value that includes water and electric.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #7

that's why you have wheels on your rig. if you aren't happy just move on down the road