Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #1

Passport America

Has anybody got experience with Passport America? Is it worth the cost and fuss?

Thanks,
Jim Betts

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Jim,

See this link. Its a day or two old and discusses Passport America at some length. If you still have questions I would be hapy to answer them for you. Campground memberships

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #3

I had it for a year and easily got back my membership fee during the year. What I found is that their are many restrictions like a day or two maximum stays. Also the sites are not the best in the campground, I always ask for a long pull through site and 99% of the time I get a back in site. A lot of the campgrounds are off the main roads near smaller towns. So for stopping for an over night while traveling Passport America fits the bill but expecting to use it for extended stays is very difficult if not impossible.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #4

We have be a member for quite a few years and have always got our investment back. As stated there are some restrictions but for most part the parks are good for an over night stay.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
If you stay one night at a Passport park that normally charges $35.00/night you end up paying $17.00. Or there abouts.

So, you can do the math. As far as where the parks are, check their website to see where in your traveling area there is a Passport park.

It works for us more so when enroute to a longer term stay somewhere else. We have never been downgraded to a second class site because of being a Passport customer.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I use Passport America at every opportunity. I usually ask when calling for reservations. 1/2 price camping helps on the fuel bills. Works well for me.
Safe Travels...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We will be recovering our Passposrt fee this coming January when we camp at Wilderness. $20.00 per night I understand.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been a PA member for several years. The price of membership, $44, is returned in about 4 nights at a PA park. As stated, you need to check out the The original 50% Discount Camping Club - Passport America Discount Camping Club web site. Look at the map provided and see if there is a large enough spread of CG's in the area you travel in. Also, on their web site is a listing for each park and the restrictions for that park. Restrictions vary park by park - it's their rules. I have never run into any situation where I was told I would have a certain type spot, and not get it. I have stayed at several unrestricted campgrounds, Braunig Lake, San Antonio, TX, $25 a night in the premium section is one of them. Right now they are full up with workers because of the oil strike in the region. Hill Country RV Resort, New Braunfels, TX is at least a week unrestricted, maybe more. They are all over the place if you are in the right place. In my opinion, the south has more PA CG's and the restrictions are less. The Northern states have many restrictions because of their very seasonal camping.

Yes! In my opinion it is worth the membership fee. You get your return back in about 4 nights stay. After that it is money saved.

Happy trails.

If you need a reference number I'll give you my PA number. I'll get a little off my next dues.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbetts View Post
Has anybody got experience with Passport America? Is it worth the cost and fuss?
Jim,

We have been full time for 5 years now and never leave home without it. We do the 3 year renewal at $99 making it $33 per year. We recouped the $99 within a couple of months.

I normally avoid the 1 night parks. But a lot of parks have a restriction and then let you stay longer as long as there is plenty of space. There are a lot of very nice places that accept it so you can't go wrong.

Bob
Old 12-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just looked at the PA web site for Hill Country RV Resort, New Braunfels, TX. Their restriction is that PA is only good Sunday through Thursday. So staying a week you would end up paying for the other two nights, then back to PA rates. Look at their web site, see the amenities they offer, and then ask the question if the PA rate of $18-22 a night is worth the $44 membership fee.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like many others have said we have gotten our money back in a very short time. There are usually some restrictions but am still able to use it many times.
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to gordons1
Compared to other 10% discount clubs, you will get more value for your money with passport. You will not go wrong. The 1-3 day discount rates are annoying. Each CG has its own rules re: when the 50% discount applies. Their web site is informative.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbetts View Post

Thanks,
Jim Betts
In a word: Yes.

Probably the best value for money camp ground membership on the marked.

Of course it all depends on where and how often you camp and/or move around. We use our membership on a very regular basis and it pays for itself in no time at all.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #14

We've stayed at a few on the I-10 corridor CA/TX. They tend to be low amenity facilities and somewhat off the beaten path.
We tend to stay at higher end places going and lower on the return leg as I'm a horse headed to the barn headed back and just need a place to SSS, recharge and get back on the road at sunrise.

As a practice I survey prospectus sites on Google maps satellite view and/or street view to get an idea of the neighborhood and whether I can get the barge in/out.