Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2007, 07:59 AM   #1

Any one use Passport America to save on campground Fees? Are you happy with it?
Thanks, Greg
oldpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2007, 07:59 AM   #2

Any one use Passport America to save on campground Fees? Are you happy with it?
Thanks, Greg
oldpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:25 AM   #3

Have used Passport America across Canada and the USA. Some parks are great others are subpar.....but are okay if you are fully self contained. If you are travelling and looking for a place at the end of the day....Passport America will save you money.
Jaffy
Old 09-28-2007, 10:38 AM   #4

We use Passport America and have been happy with the service. Well worth the fee for membership.
Brad & Lucy aka the Geezer and the Hedgehog
1990 Foretravel Detroit Deisel
Kitty Kat: Earl
Car trailer with Whitey Ford the Explorer on board
CoPilot 9 Laptop Navigation system
Old 09-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Used it for 17 overnights this spring and summer out west and back. Did not stay in a single bad park. Works for us.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:34 PM   #6

Oldpa

For a little over $40 it is well worth it. If you use it 3 or 4 times, you have made your money back and then some. We stayed close to Dollywood in Tenn for 4 or 5 days at half price saved about $50. Stayed in Maggie Valley NC for a week and saved a boundle. Yep. It is worth it. Some parks are real nice and some are marginal. You can generally pick out the nice ones by the price they charge, i,e, $35/40 Vs. those that charge $12/15. But we have never been dissapointed for what we ended up paying. I like paying half price. Pick and choose. s/Toby
Old 09-29-2007, 03:10 AM   #7
paz

We have used PA for over a year and for $40, it is probably worth the money. As others have said, there are some marginal parks. There is usually a reason a campground will be giving its sites away at half price. We usually only use PA for 1 or 2 night stops, so it's not that big a deal if we hit a bad one.

On the other hand, we have stayed at some very nice PA campgrounds. The nicer ones will usually have a limit on the number of days or the discount is only good in the off-season.

Another disturbing trend we have seen at some PA campgrounds is how they structure their rates. They have a fairly low base rate and then add on $2 or $3 for water, $3 to $5 for electricity (depending on whether it's 30 or 50 amp), $3 for sewer, etc. The discount is only on the base rate, not the add-ons; so by the time you are done, the overall discount is only 15 or 20%, not the expected 50%. Still, this is higher than most other discounts such as Good Sam.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We returned from Nova Scotia, Prince Edward, and New Brunswick, Canada last week. We used Passport America for 9 out of 26 nights. We saved enough to pay for the dues and then some. By using PA whenever possible we kept our average camping cost to $23.62 per night. The most expensive camping was Fundy National Park in New Brunswick. The National park with camping and entrance fees averaged $41.73 per night, gov't supported parks used to help save money--not any more.

Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:23 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I am a life member of PPA. PPA is worth it. I echo what has already been posted. For the way I RV (touring) PPA is a good way to go.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
We agree with what everyone said but would like to add that when one can safe money one should. We don't use the amenties much except for maybe laundry room and so far all PA parks have been nice. They do haver restrictions so would check first. There is one I wouls stay away from and it is Natural Bridge VA, as he gives out crummy sites to PA members. I couldn't get level with jacks + wood. The membership fee is well worth it and you get that back after 2 nights.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #11

oldpa been happy so far with Passport America, as with most memberships rv parks some parks are better than others. Ed.S
Old 10-13-2007, 03:57 AM   #12

I'm also a PPA member but ONLY use it for the occassional overnight. Too many restrictions, and several of the parks I've overnighted in are dumps... I also belong to KOA, RPI and TTN so I'm not all that sure I'll renew...

2006 Arctic Fox (SFE) 29-5E 5th Wheel
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Have found my membership to pay for itself over and over. At some campgrounds, you are not always given the best site.
Myronlg is offline   Reply With Quote