Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #15

We have found that from the middle of March to the latter part of April the "spring breakers" are in the parks. Not so many "snow birds" returning home. The weekends are the most crowded time.
We make our reservations for Ft Pickens as far in advance as allowed to get close to the site we want. We have been lucky, so far, to get the site we want. A couple of times we had to settle on a site that was our second or third choice. We have also moved from one site to another after a few days.
The sites are $10 per night if you have a Golden Age Passport.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2012, 12:08 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Thanks for the info. Perdido Cove looks nice for sure. In looking at the area on Streets & Trips last evening, we had considered staying at the RV park in Navarre....think it is called Emerald Coast.

We're thinking 2nd or 3rd week of March. Is that a good time in terms of being able to get a space or are these places staying full until the snowbirds head back north?
Emerald Coast is a nice park. They have a few spots that back up overlooking their beach area. They also have a nice gazebo right next to their beach area that looks all the way across the sound into the gulf. It's a great place to gather for 5 o'clock (or any other time) beverage time. My current avatar picture was taken at Perdido Cove. My original one, if you remember it, was taken at Emerald Beach. I'd all them and see what openings they have. Of the two parks, Emeral Beach is a little bit cheaper, but not by much.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #17
RVM64/RVillageAmbassador

Just left Fort Pickens a few weeks ago.... Stayed at 5 other rv parks in the area down to St Joseph Peninsula and it was by far my favorite cg.... Big sites in loop A.... Older shower, but clean..... Will return, like the price of the state parks as well, Just cant justify the private cg prices, especially when the state parks have such great beach access.....
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
Just left Fort Pickens a few weeks ago.... Stayed at 5 other rv parks in the area down to St Joseph Peninsula and it was by far my favorite cg.... Big sites in loop A.... Older shower, but clean..... Will return, like the price of the state parks as well, Just cant justify the private cg prices, especially when the state parks have such great beach access.....
I'm with you. Plus, we go camping to enjoy nature, not be packed into some commercial place where the closest you get to nature is the well-manicured lawn. I just checked and Big Lagoon, a really beautiful state park, close to the Naval Aviation museum, convenient to the beach, with very reasonable rates, still has plenty of vacancies for March.

Oh, and yes, St Joseph Peninsula is a really fantastic park! I wish it was closer to Pensacola.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Smlranger,

Late last spring we stayed at Big Lagoon SP just west of P'cola NAS. As previously stated, it is about 15 minutes to the naval museum and a short drive to the Perdido Key beaches.

When the Blue Angels are in town, they practice Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm not positive of the starting time, 9 AM maybe??? Arrive 45 to 30 minutes early and you can get a seat on the bleachers on the taxi-way behind the air museum. They do their full 45 minute show right over your head! The best part is .... it's all free!!

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
New rv park being built on pensacola beach! Suppose to open late may...near all the shopping/restaurants. Not even named yet but if you google the developer jim reeves (attorney in pcola) you can leave your name/number for contact when they start taking reservations. He owned a hotel that got torn down with a hurricane .and finally got the ball rolling to put an rv park in its place! 70 spots & pool is all I have read on pnj.com so far.

Michelle
Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #21

Surprised to not see any comments regarding the KOA and Avalon Landing, both in the Milton area, rather close to Pcola.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmygolden View Post
New rv park being built on pensacola beach! Suppose to open late may...near all the shopping/restaurants. Not even named yet but if you google the developer jim reeves (attorney in pcola) you can leave your name/number for contact when they start taking reservations. He owned a hotel that got torn down with a hurricane .and finally got the ball rolling to put an rv park in its place! 70 spots & pool is all I have read on pnj.com so far.

Michelle
Any better information than that? I googled Reeves and tjhe company, Holiday Holdings bla bla bla and can't find anything saying the park will be open in May, which is the time I will be in the area and would like to stay out there.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i'm leaving thursday for Panama City, Never been there before but were staying at Raccoon rv park. I't up and over there somewhere. I'll post on what its like by sat. it could be a class A or it could be a hole in the wall
Old 04-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Leeper View Post
i'm leaving thursday for Panama City, Never been there before but were staying at Raccoon rv park. I't up and over there somewhere. I'll post on what its like by sat. it could be a class A or it could be a hole in the wall
Regardless, it is too far away from Pcola to be of any value in this specific thread.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #25

drive to gulf brees eat at flounders trust me
Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Pirate...thats all the info that pnj.com (pensacola news journal) has had in previous articles and what Jim Reeves' secretary told me when she took my name/number for contact. They are hesitant to release too much info yet, kept getting held up with legal stuff like removing 2 feet of red dirt from under the hotel when a new ordinance was imposed on all new construction on the beach....must be all white sand, no red clay. If you google Jim Reeves attorney pensacola you will get his office info & you can call for more updated info. I talked with them about 2 weeks ago & still no firm word on opening date. I know they're trying to get it up and going asap due to missing out on a full park thru the summer if it happens.

If I hear anymore I will post - just wanted to get the word out since I thought others might be interested like we are to have a park with a pool, not just Ft. Pickens to choose from.

michelle
Old 06-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
pensacola beach

just got off phone with a pnj.com reporter & the new rv park on pensacola beach is suppose to open Aug 1, 2012. Anyone looking for a new park close to all the activities on the beach - this is going to be great! We still love Ft. Pickens state park, but this is alot closer to everything & will have a pool. As I hear more I'll update this forum in case others are traveling later in the year and may consider staying at the beach.

michelle
Old 06-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Fort Pickens....absolutely outstanding. Half hour drive to naval musuem.

Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote