Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pensacola area questions

We seem to be settling on a trip to Pensacola early spring to visit the Naval Air Museum and otherwise enjoy the panhandle. Looking at RVparkreviews.com, I don't see many highly-recommended RV parks other than the military-only parks.

Looking for any suggestions for that general area.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are members of Escapees and visit this area often. We stay in the Escapees' park in Summerdale, AL and visit the museum on occasion. There are a number of great RV parks close to Pensacola (about 20 or so miles) in and around the Gulf Shores region. If you want upscale, visit the new Bella Terra motor home resort in Foley (right off the beach highway). They have had some really good discounts in the past, and it is a really nice park. Route 59 runs from I-10 to the beaches area, has a number of RV parks from which to chose - some great, some good and some not so great. By the way, Escapees welcomes non-Escapees RVers and is a great park, although about 6 miles west of RT. 59. E-mail me if you would like more information on parks in this area.

Bronk

Old 01-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Fort Pickens Nat Seashore...great park and great park programs. Some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #4

We have been to this one and would return. Good level gravel sites, with good elect. and water. It is about 6 to 8 miles from the base. Make sure you go to the Blue Angles practice. The museum is right there also.
Their web site is: http://pensacolarvpark.com/
Old 01-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I wouldn't go to Bellara Resort unless you are independently rich. We went to check it out and they wanted $700.00 a week for a plain site and $900 a week if there is a picnic table on the site.
The campground of choice would be Gulf Shores State Park however they are booked up now as it is where I will be until Feb. They may have openings in April as the snow birds will be leaving.
There are also other campgrounds in Gulf Shores that are nice as is the beach.
Enjoy!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #6

x2 on Fort Pickens. The Fort has a great history and is fun to explore. There's also a nice fishing pier there that doesn't require you to have a Florida fishing license. We stayed there for a week and also visited the Naval Air Museum. Highly recommend both places if you're in the Pensacola area.
Only down side to the park is there are no full hook ups but with the bathroom/shower so close it wasn't an issue. Loop A is better suited for big rigs.
Like the previous poster mentioned, the Blue Angels practice right behind the museum so you can take that in too. The best part is that the museum is free. My kinda price!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
We have been to this one and would return. Good level gravel sites, with good elect. and water. It is about 6 to 8 miles from the base. Make sure you go to the Blue Angles practice. The museum is right there also.
Their web site is: http://pensacolarvpark.com/
We stayed there a year ago nice easy pull thru sites and nice front office staff. Easy on and off from the interstate.

Tom
Old 01-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Absolutely, Gulf Shores State Park. Full hookups, good security and right between Pensacola and Mobile. Last time we were there it was 19.00 per night for seniors.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #9

We have been going to the Pensacola area for about 15 years . We usually stay at Ft Pickens. As said previously, it doesn't have sewer hook-ups, but, it has a conveniently located dump station in each loop of the campground and the hook-ups are 30/50 amp with water. We have also stayed @ Emerald beach RV park @ Navarre. It is a little expensive, but it is a very nice park that is within easy driving distance of Pensacola.
Pensacola RV Park is in Pensacola and is not bad for a short stay. We found it to be farther away from the things that we like to enjoy.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
Old 01-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #10

Big Lagoon State Park is very nice and more conveniently located to the Aviation Museum than Gulf Shores, and especially Fort Pickens. It very rarely fills up, probably because it's not right on the Gulf of Mexico beach. It's on Big Lagoon, beautiful in its own right. According to Google Maps, BLSP is about 11 minutes driving time to Perdido Key Beach on the Gulf, if you want to do the usual beach thing. The park is practically at the back door to the Naval Air Station where the museum is located and the Blue Angels are stationed - about fifteen minutes away. The campground is quite large, has electric and water hook-ups, and a convenient dump station. There are wonderful nature trails, pleasant picnic grounds, a nice little beach area, and great kayaking.

After you do the Museum and the beach, and want to see an area a little different, there is Blackwater River State Forest and State Park where there is excellent tubing/canoeing/kayaking on your choice of about three small rivers. The state forest has several campgrounds, most located on pretty little lakes, and most have electric and water hook-ups, but again, only dump stations. The BRS Park is located within the state forest of the same name, and is one of the few state parks that DOES have sewer hook-ups. The state parks take reservations, but the state forest is first come, first served - usually not a problem during the week, but summer week-ends fill up. Here's my review of the Blackwater River State Forest and BR State Park:
Blackwater River State Park and State Forest - Fiberglass RV

I've lived in Pensacola since 1976 and worked at the Naval Air Station for over 20 years; if you have any other questions about the area, drop me a private message and I'll try to help.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #11

Oh, one other thing. If I had to stay in a commercial RV park I would pick Pensacola RV Park. It's in a very nice residential area, convenient to the interstate, restaurants, and grocery stores; about a half hour from the Naval Air Station, and maybe 40-45 minutes from the gulf at Perdido Key.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi smlranger,
There is an attraction and CG I have not seen in the previous posts. Consider the Farmers Opry in Chumuckla, Florida. This might be something to consider on your way in or out of the area. It is about 20 miles north of Pensacola. The bottom line is this is a dinner show. Its' Country, Blue Grass and Gospel music at its' best. Many Nashville stars got their start here. There is a full hookup CG next to the barn diner theater. Go to
The Farmers Opry | Chumuckla's Premier Restaurant and Entertainment Venue and take a look.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The one I like in Pensacola is Perdido Cove RV Park Perdido Cove in Perdido Key . It is not inexpensive. It is located close to NAS and is about half way between Pensacola and Orange Beach. Pensacola RV Park Pensacola RV Park is OK. I've never had any reason to stay there but have driven through a couple of times. If you're looking for a plain jane (no amenities) place to park while you sightsee that won't cost an arm and a leg, Drifter's RV Park Drifters RV Park- A Great Pensacola RV Park will fit the bill. I have stayed there several nights while we were having some work done on the house. Let me know when you're going to be here and I'll put the coffee on.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
The one I like in Pensacola is Perdido Cove RV Park Perdido Cove in Perdido Key . It is not inexpensive. It is located close to NAS and is about half way between Pensacola and Orange Beach. Pensacola RV Park Pensacola RV Park is OK. I've never had any reason to stay there but have driven through a couple of times. If you're looking for a plain jane (no amenities) place to park while you sightsee that won't cost an arm and a leg, Drifter's RV Park Drifters RV Park- A Great Pensacola RV Park will fit the bill. I have stayed there several nights while we were having some work done on the house. Let me know when you're going to be here and I'll put the coffee on.
Thanks for the info. Perdido Cove looks nice for sure. In looking at the area on Streets & Trips last evening, we had considered staying at the RV park in Navarre....think it is called Emerald Coast.

We're thinking 2nd or 3rd week of March. Is that a good time in terms of being able to get a space or are these places staying full until the snowbirds head back north?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote