Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pet Friendly??

Well, I've stayed at quite a few different places over the past few years. We travel with a dog - a very friendly and quiet greyhound - does tie up a lot of floor space. we have occasionally encountered places with pet restrictions - such as certain breeds or no dogs over 30 pounds. But these were identified as part of the listing so we just didn't go there.

Last week, we arrived at our destination for a week stay. It was listed as Pet Friendly - with no restrictions. So after we were settled in and were reading the flier with the map and other facility info, we were surprised to read that the dogs were restricted to their campsite. No Walking - the map showed no further facility. After visiting at the office, we were told that is their policy, we could go to the field on the other side of the dumpsters, but we would have to take the dog there in our car - and it is not fenced.

Well, we have a mini cooper - we can get him in but it is difficult. In summary, while it is otherwise a nice facility, I do not find this a "Pet Friendly" policy. While I understand that some folks do not clean up properly after their pet (and that was the reason for the policy) - I do not find that a Pet Friendly solution. The small space of an rv space is not enough room and the need to load into a car 4 times a day is really not very Owner friendly!

I am wondering if others have encountered such a policy?

wepinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #2

Nope, but we generally restrict our camping to state parks.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I've never encountered a "pet friendly" rv park that didn't allow you to walk your dog on a leash.
You would do us all a favor if you published the name of the park, so we can avoid it.
Tim,,,

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I am wondering if others have encountered such a policy?
I have never encountered that policy and would avoid any parks that advertised the policy. If they advertised pet friendly with no restrictions and then after arriving I was told of this policy, they would have to attempt to enforce it on me as I would be walking our dog to the field by the dumpster.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Can you post the name of this CG so those of us that also travel with dogs can avoid it?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
I've never encountered a "pet friendly" rv park that didn't allow you to walk your dog on a leash.
You would do us all a favor if you published the name of the park, so we can avoid it.
Tim,,,
I actually would prefer to see what responses I get over the next 24 hours. I then plan on sharing the posts with the owners here so they have an opportunity to consider changing their policy. I'll let you know how that goes!
wepinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like they have a totally different idea of what "Pet Friendly" means. In you post, you said no restrictions. They probably did not actually say that but you assumed they were like any other park that would publish any restrictions. Not being able to walk the dogs thru the park would certainly make a huge difference on whether I would stay there. Somehow fining a tenant for not cleaning up after their animal would be easier to swallow. Also this is not something you need to find out once you get there and that was your final destination, should be well known or published on their brochure or website. The old "Bait and Switch"
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In short...WOW!!! That is WHACK!

In searching for our winter spot I first ran into things like pet friendly but with a 30# restriction and such. In fact, the place I settled on has the 30# rule on the books but I have been told by other residents and by park management that it is there for "selective enforcement" in case problems were to occur. (I'm not here to debate that approach...)

However, to say they are pet friendly but put on that kind of restriction is clearly lacking in every aspect of what pet friendly should mean. I have to admit, if I was "trapped" there I would walk my dogs in the same way I walk them everywhere else. I do that with respect for other parking spots and usher them to the most appropriate place to do their business.

I would hate for the manager's to argue with my guys.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Never, ever heard of anything like that. To not be able to walk your dog within the campground (even to a pee spot) is ridiculous and in no way "pet friendly". I hope you review these guys on rvparkreviews.com and give the rest of us the name of the park.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #10

not pet friendly. We wouldn't stay any place that restricted our walking the dogs
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

In all of our travels, we did actually run into this one time. We can't remember where but it was so rare we did remember it happening. A real pain with three dogs. As I recall we were just overnighting and then moved on.

Certainly not pet friendly. I'll be interested to hear what the owners think about these posts.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #12

Thre's a park in the FL keys with the same policy; maybehe same park. We stayed in a pet freindly park with similiar but different unfriendly restrictions in OR. I rely on the reviews on www.rvparkreviews.com and enter my own reviews at every park I stay at. What did the reviews say on the park you're taling about?
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Be sure and post this in the campground reviews. That is definitely pet UN-friendly.

We have encountered places that restrict the pets to one area of the park, ie., they have a no pets area, no pets on the beach (our dog loves the water), and no pets in the playground area.

We love our pets as well as others peoples as long as they keep them under control and pick up after them.

I like the places that have an adults only area.

Ken
Old 08-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
Tim,,,
Please! I'm with Tim!!

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote