Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2016, 06:40 AM   #1

Physically challenged needs trip advice pls

Thanks in advance for your advice ! this is a long description - here goes !
I need to get from Cape Canaveral to Phoenix in a few weeks. I have chronic pain issues and am developing arthritis now (fantastic combination !)
I am a 50 yo bachelor newbie F/T 5ver. How's that for a title! First trip was south from PA to Fla for warmth last fall, but I need out of this humidity. Even though I am hamstrung , I have a good atittude and alot of motivation. It'll be tough but I know I can do it.
Can anyone offer advice to help me with my drive? I've got a diesel dually pulling a 34' Newmar. Just bought a 3800w gen w/elec st. I'd like to rest stop hop where possible. Im not even sure how long this trip will be. I want to go straight there but dont need to hurry either, so overnights are likely too. I think I can wing it that way, but maybe I should do an intinery with reservations? IDK
I was going to take I-10 west straight off the Fla panhandle. My neighbor says no, go across the panhandle on 10 but veer up towards dallas and on up to I-40. Avoids a bunch of mountanous road and a booring vast stretch across TX he says.
Could you offer me any advice?
Chris Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 08:33 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your friend is giving you some odd advice...

i-10 is flat flat flat and more flat, all the way into phoenix. I-40 is out of the way by a shot.

Yes, the stretch of road between Fort Stockton and El Paso is super boring, but it's a nice road.

I would be more concerned though about the flooding in Louisiana right now. I haven't checked any reports, but you might want to.

Were it me, I would take 10 all the way to phoenix. Another Tid Bit. While crossing Louisiana, be sure to take 12 at Slidell, which bypasses New Orleans, and puts you right back on 10 on the other side at Baton Rouge.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Absolutely consider I-12 instead of dropping south through NO. Traffic in New Orleans is not quite as bad as Atlanta but close during rush hour
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I agree I-10, I-12 around NO.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Your friend is giving you some odd advice...

i-10 is flat flat flat and more flat, all the way into phoenix. I-40 is out of the way by a shot.

Yes, the stretch of road between Fort Stockton and El Paso is super boring, but it's a nice road.

I would be more concerned though about the flooding in Louisiana right now. I haven't checked any reports, but you might want to.

Were it me, I would take 10 all the way to phoenix. Another Tid Bit. While crossing Louisiana, be sure to take 12 at Slidell, which bypasses New Orleans, and puts you right back on 10 on the other side at Baton Rouge.
I would agree with this route, my only concern like said would be the flooding in Louisiana. They say this has been historic flooding. To me it would be worth the extra driving to hook up to the I-40.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Here is the road 511 for Louisiana. Louisiana DOT Traveler Information

Interstate 12 is currently closed due to flooding but that should only last for a few days.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #7

Thank you thank you for the route info. Yes, I would think the rain and flooding would be done by then. Fingers crossed. However, if I need to detour significantly north thats better than local detouring. That entire end of the state is low isnt it?
I wonder what the heck he was talking about with mountains. I'm positive that's what he told me. In fact, I had thought the I-40 route would be more hilly.
Chris Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #8

I'll comment on your reservation part of the question. If you are going after Labor Day, I wouldn't worry too much about reservations. We usually travel in the shoulder seasons and have rarely had a problem finding a campground. We often determine where we want to stop, identify one or two parks, then call ahead to verify that they have appropriate sites available.

It doesn't sound like you are planning to make tourist stops along the way so rest stops, Walmart, etc may suite you for most nights. You may want to stop in a campground a couple of times along the way to rest your bones, fill up with fresh water and empty holding tanks, and maybe see a couple of local attractions. If your not in a hurry, you might as well enjoy the adventure.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice