Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg/Great Smoky Mountains, TN

HI, I am getting ready to take a trip for a week to the area. Just looking for imput on things to do and places to go. Went last year and had a really good time. Looking for suggestions on nice places to visit near any of this area and in the mountains. Also and nice places to eat (local places) in or out of town. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Flagstaff206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #2

Twin Creeks in Gatlinburg is a mile from downtown with trolley service just outside the park. There are many good places to eat in the area. Clint's outside of Sieverville has excellent bbq. I also highly recommend the Old Mill Pottery House Cafe and Grille in Pigeon Forge....especially lunch. If you stay at Twin Creeks, ask the people there where to eat and where NOT to eat. happy trails!
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #3

I forgot to mention driving through Cades Cove at dusk may allow you to see deer, turkey, and may be bear or two. Roaring fork nature trail is also excellent at dusk. There are many back roads to drive and enough to keep you as busy as you want. Enjoy!
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi, We like to go to Pigeon Forge and there is a lot to do including the shows that are in Pigeon forge including the dixie stampede, country tonight and the bear jamboree.
There is also Dollywood which is super including the splash country. There are also shows within the park.
You can naturally drive through the Great Smoky Mtn Nat'l park and do some hiking. You can drive to Townsend and explore that town which has a few nice shops and bike trails.
As for eating out which we seldom do we like the Partridge and Pear restaurant by the Christmas Shop.
I don't know if you picked a campground yet but we like CreeksideRV Park ( Passport America park) and Kings Holly Haven but there are quite a few on Rt 321.
We think PF is a great place to enjoy some relaxing time and to do whatever you have a mind to.

Enjoy!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Flagstaff206,
Two good places to eat are:
Bullfish - about 1/2 mile from the Titanic when going south on the parkway (the Titanic will be on your right if you are going south). Bullfish will be on your left about 1/2 mile from the Titanic, when going south on the Parkway.

Clint's - Take the Parkway into Sevierville. When you come to Main Street (RT 411) turn right (North). Go 6 to 6 1/2 miles. Clint's will be on your left. If you'd like to hear local bands play while you eat, call 865-453-5150 to see when there will be music.

Don't know where you are staying so the right and left turns could be different.

About 1/4 mile from the Titanic is the Smoky Mountain Opry. This is the highest quality show in the area. Dare I say Broadway quality. When you purchase tickets for the Opry, you can "bundle" several shows at a discounted price.

As previously posted the Great Smoky Mountain NP is available. My recommendations are:
1. Clingman's Dome - It is quite a hike to get there. All paved trail, short distance but steep. There is quite a view as your reward.
2. Cades Cove - Day trip. Get the map so you'll know where to stop and what to see.

The GSMNP visitors center can provide all the information you need.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks for all the imput. Especially the restraunt reccomendations. We do most of our cooking too, but usually like to go out one night. We will be staying at Foothills Rv Park in PF. Stayed there last year and really enjoyed it and would HIGHLY reccomend it. Any bother areas of the mountains to visit other than the usual clingsmans dome, cades cove etc. any hiking especially to waterfalls you can reccomend. Any body know if the visitors center has trail maps like the ones you can buy online. been in there 100000000 times and can't remember. Thanaks Alot for the help
Old 06-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Flagstaff206,
The GSMNP visitors center does have trail maps.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Were staying 9 nights in the park and 3 nights at Camping in the Smoky's campground just east of Gatlinburg on the trolley route. Are there Amy places to by topo maps I have the park trail map , but a topo is more helpful. I plan to hike from Clingman Dome to the Elkmnot campground.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #9

We go every year to the area. Favorite campground River Plantation. Favorite place to eat The Peddler east end of Gatlinburg on the river. I agree with others, there are many very nice campgrounds and places to eat in the area.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #10

Eagles Nest is a Passport America park 50% off. Trolley right outside C/G. Also if going to Dollywood can go in one day after 3pm and next day is free. Park at Patriots park in town and take trolley to Dollywood saves on the parking fee. If you like 50`s diner eat at Mel`s wear valley road.
ccraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pick up a bucket of chicken or BBQ and head to Cades Cove late afternoon and wait for sunset!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Rgvtexan, great idea. Thanks everybody for the suggestions.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Where is the best spot to view the sunset at Cades Cove?

One other ? On my Gatlinburg Vacation guide it says to enter Gatlinburg from the north (Knoxville) to take I-40 east out of Knoxsville to route 321 exit 435 and take that into Gatlinburg. Why are they saying to go all the way over to 321. It appears route 66 exit 407 would be more of a straight shot. We will be arriving on Monday afternoon.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I would check a map for directions and go the way I feel comfortable with. Directions from internet or gps are not always the best for you. Last time I came into pf via 411 I believe and went home via the parkway through gatlinburg. This time I am going via the parkway. I will be arriving the 22nd and leaving the 29th.