Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Pirate Land C/G Myrtle Beach SC

Hi Anyone stay at Pirate Land C/G in Myrtle Beach SC. We are going to be in the area around Aug.3/4. Or would you recomend some place else, we are visiting family in Calabash NC. Also has anyone heard of Hughes Family C/G in Calabash. Thanks Rick & Robin

RobinGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We have stayed at Pirate Land and think it is a good CG. Located on the Beach, sites are back in, each has a covered picnic table. For an August stay make sure you have reservations.
It is located on the southern part of MB and could be a long ride to Calabash if you are commuting.
There is a new CG opened in Longs, SC, close to the NC Border, have not been there but pictures look nice, www.carrollwoods.com.
I do not know the Hughes Family CG

2002 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40J, Roadmaster InvisiBrake Model 8700
2012 Chevy Captiva
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Rick & Robin:

I would highly recomend Ocean Lakes Campgrounds which is very close to Pirate Land. We have been going to Ocean Lakes for years and really enjoy it. Take a look at their website at www.oceanlakes.com

Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Carrollwoods LOOKS fantastic. Going to have to try it out. Rates aren't too bad either.
craziecritte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
I also like ocean lakes better because concrete spaces if you have slides on both sides they may touch the picnic table hut also alot nicer park and you can bring your on golf cart
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have been to Pirate land several times; the kids loved it when they were younger. I like Ocean lakes and Myrtle Beach state park too. I don’t go in the summer time tho because the crowds.
I am going to try the Carrollwoods campground, which looks interesting. A winery at the campground, wohoo!
2011 Tiffin Allegro34TGA
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Explorer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Over the last 20 some years we have tried all of them for 1 week stays. Over the last 3-4 trips we really like Myrtle Beach Travel Park because they are located in North Myrtle Beach near Restaurant Row and Boardway on the Beach, more relaxed, low key, super modern showerhouses. The other southern campgrounds (Ocean Lakes, Lakewood and Pirate Land) I just felt it was golf cart city. way too busy..... At MBTP we like the campsites away from the beach near the pool area that are in the big pine forest. You get a nice ocean breeze because your elevated about 15-20 feet higher than the campsites in the sunny "closer to the beach" area. We like the sites in the 500's near the pool.
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Golf Cart City….is a good description Superslif! Kids seem to love cruising around in these souped up golf cards with music blaring. That annoyed the crap out of me.
2011 Tiffin Allegro34TGA
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Explorer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
In that area I prefer Ocean Lakes, Pirate Land was looking a little run down, and the Canopies over the picnic tables were in bad shape. The last thing they looked like they put money in was the lazy river pool which I have to say was real nice. I have never been to Myrtle Beach travel park and would like to try it, and the one wiht the winery is on my List!!
Lenny and Chrissy

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #10
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I grew up going to Pirateland for summer vacations....every year we made the trip from WV to Myrtle Beach, always Pirateland. We still go back to Myrtle Beach because my dad is retired in Briarcliffe in North Myrtle.

He bought in to Briarcliffe after growing to hate Pirateland. The reservation system changed, and it just seemed like they knew they were always going to be full in the Summer, so they didn't care much about how they treated folks.

I haven't actually been inside the gates of Pirateland in 30 years or more. I'm sure there isn't anything that would resemble the old Pirateland I remember.
2011 Winnebago Vista 30W
Duane, Precy, 9 year old son Matt, and Abby, our American Eskimo.
Dmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
We've been going to Lakewood for probably 40 yrs or more at Easter time and love it there. Helps that we meet the kids and grandkids there after not seeing them all winter. We avoid the golf carts by getting sites almost on the border with Pirate Land and as close to the beach as possible. Have to get our sun tan before heading back north for the summer.

2005 35' Mountaineer TT

2003 R-Vision Trail Lite 22' B+
Reno-NY is offline   Reply With Quote