Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Places to go, things to see

I am working on how best to put together an itinerary of places to go and things to see with my MH when I retire. Right now looking for two things to assist in this process.

First, how to track all the places I may want to go. I have an iPhone, iPad, and iMac so as I see information about places to consider it would be good to have an app that I could add a place and it would seamlessly show up in all these devices. The Reminders app would work, but this really isn't a reminder, but something that works like that would be fine.

Second, what are good sources of information ? Of course iRv2, plus FMCA, Good Sam, and Motorhome magazines. AAA guidebooks also for some things. An ideal resource would be something like "Motorhoming Through New England". Hey, I might need to write that! If someone has already done regional itineraries that would be great.

I have been fortunate to have already visited all 50 states so have already seen many "big ticket" items. I am also interested in lesser known places. For example, last year I visited the BMW and Freightliner factories in SC. Fascinating tours.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Butte64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #2

Everybody needs a bucket list. Most states have a sight like VisitPA and VisitVA and VisitAZ

Hope I get these in during the next few years:

Tumacacori
Pategonia lake az
Dunlap tn
Fort Eustis va
Fall creek falls tn
Nacalula falls ala
Little river canyon al
Gaylords hotel nashville
Palo Duro Canyon, TX
The Wave, AZ
Geiser Black Rock Desert, NV
Devils Tower, NV
Landscape Arch, UT
Carlsbad Caverns,NM
Salt mine, kS
Racoon caverns al. Near fort payne
Petroglyph natl mon. Nm

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great info !

Add
Lewis and Clark Caverns

Could add more but don't know where you've been.
Butte64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of our goals was to visit all the presidential museums in the U.S. In the process we hit lots of other places too.
As we came to a new state I would go to the state's visitor information webpage and get a good idea of what they had to see.
We met some people who had just done a trip around the country to see a major league baseball game in every teams home stadium. They too got to see a lot of other things along the way.
So my suggestion is....pick out something that has locations all over the country and enjoy the side trips along the way.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Try this site
http://roadtrippers.com/
Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Butte64,
Consider not being to organized. Plan a trip for each year, one year in advance. Do not set a time limit. Have the big names you want to see, but allow bunches of time to stop when something interesting pops up. I guarantee lots of places will "pop up". Let your interests lead you. If your 65, you have 20 years or more to see the USA. Many parts of the country I have visited several times. Mainly just because I like to visit that part of the country. However, you know what happens. Just like when you read a book more than once, you read something that wasn't there the time before. Consider going to Your Guide to the National Parks: The Complete Guide to all 58 National Parks: Michael Joseph Oswald: 9781621280002: Amazon.com: Books and purchase the book(s) of your choice. They are all about our National Parks. I have found the National Parks an excellent place to travel to and along the way enjoy the pop up surprises.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Butte64,
Consider not being to organized. Plan a trip for each year, one year in advance. Do not set a time limit. Have the big names you want to see, but allow bunches of time to stop when something interesting pops up. I guarantee lots of places will "pop up". Let your interests lead you. If your 65, you have 20 years or more to see the USA. Many parts of the country I have visited several times. Mainly just because I like to visit that part of the country. However, you know what happens. Just like when you read a book more than once, you read something that wasn't there the time before. Consider going to Your Guide to the National Parks: The Complete Guide to all 58 National Parks: Michael Joseph Oswald: 9781621280002: Amazon.com: Books and purchase the book(s) of your choice. They are all about our National Parks. I have found the National Parks an excellent place to travel to and along the way enjoy the pop up surprises.

We have found the best plan is no plan. Other than a general direction and the bucket list, we have no trouble figuring out where we will NOT hurry to next.
Each to their own, but we have found 300 miles a day to be plenty. Some times it ends up much shorter cuz we run into something obscure and unusual that just cannot be missed.
One time we were headed to southern KY and found too much to do half way there in VA, so stayed 2 weeks!

If you are like us, you will let
THE JOURNEY BE YOUR DESTINATION

Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Places to go, things to see

We have been doing the rounds of US for 10 years now and we enjoy visiting with the locals and following their guide on things to see. One site we do enjoy which has so many places we had found enjoyable. Go to the below website.

Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions
Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I retire I'm going with the CampDaven plan, No plan. We will be retired and don't need to be on a schedule like now. We will set a place to go and see what ever is on the way that catches our fancy, The CampDaven plan, sounds like a good one,No pressure. Jim
Old 01-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #10

We full-timed for 16+ years with practically no reservations made. We pick a general area and go and explore it for as long as it takes. We could never enjoy it any other way. We don't have problems getting a site with our 40' motorhome and we prefer public parks. On some of our visits to national or state parks we enjoyed the areas so much we asked if they could use some volunteer help. This is an excellent opportunity to actually "live" in these beautiful surroundings and know that you're helping out in some way. Retirement is awesome! Don't make it so structured. You're FREE!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
When I retire I'm going with the CampDaven plan, No plan. We will be retired and don't need to be on a schedule like now. We will set a place to go and see what ever is on the way that catches our fancy, The CampDaven plan, sounds like a good one,No pressure. Jim

Old 01-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #12

We also like to travel without a set itinerary. We go to the visitors center and get their brochures and talk to their folks to see what is notable in the area.

Generally, though, the best places we've found are the ones we "discovered" on our own by bumping into them, or those places that a local recommended (striking up conversations with the locals turns up all kinds of fascinating things -- people love to tell visitors about their hometown).

Sometimes it helps to have a theme to your travels, like Arch Hoagland said about visiting the presidential museums. Other fun themes we've heard of are to go waterfall hunting, to visit the major ballparks, visit all the national parks, go petroglyph hunting or geocaching, follow the Lewis & Clark trail, find major battlefields, hit the best farmers markets or flea markets, etc. etc. Whatever your particular interest is...

For us, we generally don't know what we'll do for the day until after breakfast. And we try not to travel more than 100 miles in a day...
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
I am working on how best to put together an itinerary of places to go and things to see with my MH when I retire. Right now looking for two things to assist in this process.

First, how to track all the places I may want to go. I have an iPhone, iPad, and iMac so as I see information about places to consider it would be good to have an app that I could add a place and it would seamlessly show up in all these devices. The Reminders app would work, but this really isn't a reminder, but something that works like that would be fine.

Second, what are good sources of information ? Of course iRv2, plus FMCA, Good Sam, and Motorhome magazines. AAA guidebooks also for some things. An ideal resource would be something like "Motorhoming Through New England". Hey, I might need to write that! If someone has already done regional itineraries that would be great.

I have been fortunate to have already visited all 50 states so have already seen many "big ticket" items. I am also interested in lesser known places. For example, last year I visited the BMW and Freightliner factories in SC. Fascinating tours.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
We're all all apple too, and here's what we've downloaded:

Helpful apps that I've used:
iRV2
Trip Advisor
Woodalls

Apps that had good reviews but I haven't used them yet:
Mobile RVing
RV ParkFinder

Also, specific states have apps:
CONY - Campgrounds of NY
Visit WA
Seattle
Sevierville (TN)
MI Campground Locator
Smokies (Mountains TN and NC)

National Geographic also has apps about the national parks but I've not downloaded that one yet.

And I'm sure there are others, but that's what we've got so far!

Enjoy your trips!!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #14

rvparkreviews.com

Helpful