Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2010, 07:52 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Plainfield New Jersey

Hi irv2 friends;
I will be camping for a week in the Plainfield area of New Jersey starting this weekend. I have to be fairly close because of business. Does anyone have any suggestions on parks there or close to there? I can't seem to find anything online that is not a "trailer park" or a "kids camp". I would consider up to 20 miles away.... further if absolutely a must... desperate here... please give me some suggestions.
Thanks so much.
Ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2010, 07:13 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unhappy

There is NOTHING close to Plainfield. It's like a city, only smaller. Jersey City is 45 minutes north and has an RV park. The Spruce Run area (Clinton) is about 45 minutes west (along Route 22) of Plainfield.

Good luck - not really sure you have many options.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
yep I'm finding very slim pickins... I would hate to just camp at Walmart for a week
Old 04-17-2010, 11:49 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Plainfield is in the middle of one of the biggest metropolis' in the world so no camping there. And you will have trouble navagating your rig around those city streets.

Spruce Run has a 24 foot limit on rigs and no hookups (they do have a dump station). This campground is a little run down but may be your only option:
Jugtown Mountain Campsite

1074 State Route 173
Asbury, NJ 08802
(908) 735-5995

Some areas around Plainfield are worst than others so be careful about camping or leaving your rig in a Walmart.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:55 AM   #5

Freehold area and Jackson have many but an hours drive
jasult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #6

Smile

Plainfield is an urban city with crime. There are no campgrounds within 40 minutes. Do not go to Jugtown as it is the worst campground anywhere. Dirty. I suggest going to one of the campgrounds in Jackson. TipTam is about 50 minutes to Plainfield. Easy to get to, take RT 287 to turnpike South to exit 7 (Rt 195 East). Very clean and the best around. Includes full hook ups

2003 Ford F350 Diesel Crew Cab.
Jersey Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedward1555 View Post
Hi irv2 friends;
I will be camping for a week in the Plainfield area of New Jersey starting this weekend. I have to be fairly close because of business. Does anyone have any suggestions on parks there or close to there? I can't seem to find anything online that is not a "trailer park" or a "kids camp". I would consider up to 20 miles away.... further if absolutely a must... desperate here... please give me some suggestions.
Thanks so much.
Ed
Unfortunately your between a rock and a hard place with this one. I live 15 miles west of Plainfield and the closest place I know of is 30 miles west of you off Rt 78 at the park in Spruce Run. The good thing is that it's a straight shot out west for you. It's a state park so there aren't any sewer hook ups but it's only $20 a night
Department of Environmental Protection

Then there's Fla-Net Park which is 33 miles north off RT 206
Fla-Net Park - Home

There's one north on RT 206 called Panther Lake by that's 45 miles from you
Panther Lake Camping Resort
Old 04-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #8

Remember that many streets and roads in NJ have a width limit 96 in or 8 feet.
Don't know how vigoriously they enforce that, but if you have a incident that could work aginst you.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Everyone
I ended up staying at Fla/Net campground in Flanders/Netcong. It was about 38 miles from my work and the drive was pretty easy. I did not have problems with width restrictions, but I sure should have paid closer attention to height restrictions... you might have seen in my post about the incident that I drove right into an overhead train crossing bridge... Didn't do as much damage as I thought at the time, but sure taught me a lesson.
Thanks for all the suggestions and input.
Ed
Old 04-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedward1555 View Post
Hi Everyone
I ended up staying at Fla/Net campground in Flanders/Netcong.
Ed
I'm glad that worked out for you. My wife and I looked into it but have yet to spend a weekend there.

I know your stay is work related but could you give me an idea of it's plus and minuses?