Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Planning a ski trip to VT/NH, looking for ideas/recommendations

We are looking to take the motorhome from SE MI to VT/NH to do some skiing after Christmas. Never been out that way before, so I am looking for ideas on a few things:

1) Any ski resorts to avoid or must-see?
2) Suggestions on possible campgrounds to overnight in (I have the AAA/Woodall's campground guide and there are a few that are year-round). We are willing to boondock for a few days, but like to have a backup plan/place to recharge everything just in case.
3) Roads/routes to avoid in a motorhome?
4) Should I take the toad or don't bother? Unlike summer, even at a campground it won't be anything to unhook and go somewhere in the RV. I'd hate to tow it around for 10 days and never end up needing it. OTOH, if we were to choose to spend a few days in a central location, it would be beneficial to have it.
5) Anything else?

We will have our 2 small dogs with us and the 13yo daughter. So being able to maintain climate control while away is mandatory. I wouldn't want to leave the RV unattended for any length of time without being plugged in. But I have no problem leaving it in the parking lot of a resort as we can/do check on it periodically (and can come back for rest/lunch breaks). We did 2 short (2-3 day) boondocking trips to "up north" resorts last year where we learned a couple things about winter camping (first times in the winter) and found a couple things that needed repairs. This would be the first lengthy winter trip.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #2

I posted a similar question and got no response, I have been looking to do the same trip you are planning. I don't think it's a popular idea as most go south

Old 12-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I lived in VT for 40+ years so I can offer a little bit of help there. The only winter camping that I am aware of near ski areas is this one -Crown Point Camping Area :: Green Mountains Campground, Perkinsville, Vermont
This area is in the south, so not too far from Stratton, Bromley, Magic Mountain and Mount Snow. Vermont Resorts | Ski Vermont

As far as the car - most ski areas are on secondary roads and though VT does a great job with snow removal, I would not be real keen about driving my RV anymore than necessary.

I think you will enjoy VT skiing. Have fun, be safe.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We like Okemo and Mt. Snow in South Central VT. Lots of Blue cruiser trails...with above average grooming at Okemo. Wonder if any of those areas have RV plug in parking spaces? I know some of the Western NY. / PA. ski areas have an area in their parking lots that have plug ins for RV's.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #5

I'll second Okemo as a nice, sunny, well groome mountain with both challenging and family friendly terrain and plenty of it. If you're good and looking for a challenging hill...then the little known Mad River Glen will get your jets pumping!
Lot's of other great hills in VT. but those two are my faves. I'll also suggest using the car to get up to them!
Old 12-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #6

Hi I am a "weekend warrior" who heads up to VT from NYC just about every weekend in the winter so I can give advice on the mountains, roads, restaurants etc. but I am brand new to RVing so I can't help with that portion.

In southern/central VT:

Mt. Snow and Okemo are great mountains for beginner to upper intermediate skiers/snowboarders and as was previously mentioned there are great blue cruiser trails on both mountains. Mt. Snow also has tubing which can be a nice break after a couple days on the mountain. Okemo has outdoor fire pits that I love to sit around after a couple of runs. Neither mountain has a gondola so on real cold days you may want to consider either Stratton (if u are closer to Mt snow) or Killington (if u are closer to Okemo) they both have gondolas which can make a difference on those frigid days but otherwise wouldn't recommend either one. They don't have the friendly laid back vibe that Mt Snow and Okemo have due to the people at Stratton and the size of Killington.

Since I'm brand new to RVing I don't know how RV's handle in snow or mud but I think you may want to bring a TOAD along because:
Even though the main roads are quickly plowed and salted etc. the back roads and alot of the parking lots are either snowy or muddy. The big gas stations and shopping centers are usually paved but the smaller places and even the resort lots are dirt. I've been stuck a few times in a smaller car as well as a truck.
The other reason is around the resort areas parking is very tight. For some reason almost all the parking lots are tiny and they try to fit in as many cars as possible so you might run into trouble finding a place to park at restaurants and even in the towns around the resorts. We drive a dodge ram pickup and have been in some tight spots.

If you want any info about places to see, restaurants etc just let me know and I'll give you tips.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Finding good skiing in the NE is not difficult... Finding a campground open after October 15th will be... You might have to go boondocking and ask somebody in that area of the site where you can park.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
All, thanks for the tips! We certainly expect to boondock for perhaps half the nights we are out, but also like to have a back-up plan in case we run into issue with the genny or bats or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
I lived in VT for 40+ years so I can offer a little bit of help there. The only winter camping that I am aware of near ski areas is this one -Crown Point Camping Area :: Green Mountains Campground, Perkinsville, Vermont
This area is in the south, so not too far from Stratton, Bromley, Magic Mountain and Mount Snow. Vermont Resorts | Ski Vermont

As far as the car - most ski areas are on secondary roads and though VT does a great job with snow removal, I would not be real keen about driving my RV anymore than necessary.

I think you will enjoy VT skiing. Have fun, be safe.
Thanks for the camp recommendation. They weren't listed in the Woodalls/AAA camp guide I picked up, but do look to be a good location to stop for a couple nights.

Our route there would take us RIGHT by Bromley and Magic Mtn. Any idea on how driving the motorhome w/toad would be on SR11? Looks like it's a basic 2-lane road. I haven't taken my current rig out of state (MI) yet, but the prior rig I had I did take through the mtns in PA and WV without issue (it was summertime and on freeways tho). Might try to time it where we spend the day at one of those resorts, then continue onto the camp in the evening for a couple nights where we could hit Okemo and somewhere else from there, before moving on. Still trying to work out an itinerary.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That road would be no worse, no better than the ones you ran in PA & WV, in summer. State roads can be tricky during storms. After snow or ice ends, VT is good at getting roads passable and safe. That being said, they can still turn sketchy with re-freezing and blowing snow. I have never driven my coach in the snow or ice, so I don't feel very qualified to say, don't worry about it.
Your plan sounds like a good one. Best of luck and be safe. If the roads get scary, find a spot to wait for the plows and sanders.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
In NH, there are several ski areas that allow overnight camping, and several others that have campgrounds close by. Here is a pdf of a spreadsheet I made during my research last year:

NH_Ski_OvernightParking.pdf

Rating is arbitrary, mostly based on vertical drop and if overnight parking is free. Distance is from where we live north of Boston.

All but Sunday River is in NH, Sunday River is in Bethel, ME. Sorry, some of the areas don't have addresses, that is because we know where they are.

All this info is from last season, if you're interested in a particular resort it would be a good idea to call and verify.

As far as roads go, we have never had an issue with driving the RV in winter around here. The worst that happens is the salt (which they use in abundance around here) coats your coach and I haven't been able to find a truck wash north of Boston to wash it off!

We had much different experience in North Carolina, where we skied in the Boone area for many years before we moved here. We have chains for the cars and RV, have used them on the cars to go skiing, luckily not the RV. No chains allowed in MA nor are they needed.

When driving in a snowstorm the usual rules apply, go slower, be aware of other drivers and changing conditions, slow down early for turns and stops, etc. We've driven the RV thru several blizzards going to good skiing, I actually prefer it to driving the cars. I can see better because I'm much higher off the road and it seems to stick to the road much better, never slipped or skidded with it like I've done with the cars, of course I'm usually going slower!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #11

VT Ski Trip

I don't want to be overly negative, but I would have some reservations about making such a trip in your motorhome. Although I did not notice what motorhome you have, driving one in Vermont in the wintertime exposes you to many unknowns. I travel Northern New England for my job, and see no motorhomes on the road at this time of year. We have limited interstate highways [I-91, I-89]. You will not access any of the major ski areas w/o spending a lot of time on secondary roads.

I has been near freezing or a bit above for the last few days, but the highs were about 10 degrees F for many days before that. Big swings in temps. and precip. not just day to day, but morning to evening. One half inch to one inch of snow each night adds up, and conversely, weather up here can turn on a dime and the roads can get slick quickly. You don't realize you are on ice till your butt cheeks pucker. Vermont does take pretty good care of their roads, but I've noticed that in the last few years, they have begun using [liberally] a liquid salt solution. I hate running the roads after a recent application as I envision that salt solution being sprayed onto the underside of my vehicle.

At temps of +10 degrees or below, you will be running the engine quite a bit. A night at -10 or -15 will make for an interesting start-up for a diesel w/o the "block heater" being plugged in or running off the generator.

As I said, I'm not trying to be a spoil sport here, and if driving your motorhome to Vermont in the winter is part of the adventure...go for it. But IMHO there are too many opportunities for you to have a problem, and one problem can take all of the enjoyment out of your trip/adventure. While obviously more expensive, flying to Boston, Hartford, or Burlington and renting a car will make the trip much less stressful and much more pleasureable. Just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.

Ron
Old 12-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Any idea on how driving the motorhome w/toad would be on SR11? Looks like it's a basic 2-lane road.
It's kind of iffy? To cross over the Green mountains, either route 9 in southern VT or route 4 near Rutland. You mentioned Magic Mtn. It's a very low budget place where there may not be much base, and is closed much of the time.

Personnally I would enter the state at Route 4 thru Rutland, try Pico and Killington for a few days, and then head south on 100 and do Okemo, Mt. Snow, Bromley or Stratton. And watch the weather forecast often.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:14 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Someone asked me where we skiied using our RV, since it was pretty far off-topic I added to this thread:

We've actually stayed overnight at:
In NC, Ski Beech, Appalachian.

We moved to MA in 2011 and since have stayed overnight at:
In NH, Attitash, in ME, Sunday River.

Here is an attachment from the post above that lists the RV friendly ski areas in NH and Maine. I didn't check out VT but I'm sure there are several there also. One update the the list, Sunday River no longer allows RV's to use the electrical hookups, they are for electric vehicles and block heaters only, though if you have a DP you have a block heater!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:50 PM   #14

We always avoid Killington, especially on the weekends. It too crowded with enormous lines. Okemo, Sugarbush, Stowe, and Burke for Vt. are our choices.
Waterville Valley, Attitash. and Breton Woods in New Hampshire.
Sunday River and Sugarloaf in Maine.