Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #15

Thanks everyone!

Your comments have given me a lot of good ideas to consider. I had not thought about the advantage of staying in the NP CG. That option sounds like it makes a lot of sense.

I also wanted to spend time in Williams, so maybe staying a few nights in different locations as someone suggested might be an idea to pursue.

After spending time at Grand Canyon I want to head north into Utah do see some of that country. If anyone has any suggestions fire away. I think I have enough information to start planning the Grand Canyon visit.

I can't wait to get on the road next spring. I hope I don't get over anxious and hit the road to early.

DaveAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
One word of advise. If staying in the NP campgrounds. You need to make reservations as soon as possible within the window allowed. Some of these parks fill up on the first day you are allowed to make the reservations. Also I think you have to make these reservations through Reserve America. Check the NPS websites to be sure.

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #17
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAK View Post
...After spending time at Grand Canyon I want to head north into Utah do see some of that country. If anyone has any suggestions fire away...
I could easily spend several months in Utah. Don't miss Zion and Bryce in the southwest corner. Also stop at Cedar Breaks in the same area if you have time. You can then swing over to the southeast corner to see Four Corners and Monument Valley. From there head north to Moab to Arches and Canyonlands. Salt Lake City is also interesting with the lake and with Promontory Point (where the eastern and western ends of the Transcontinental RR met) nearby.

Personally, If I had to pick one area in Utah to visit it would probably be Moab. Arches is one of our favorite National Parks. If you like to hike, be sure take the hike to Delicate Arch. It is strenuous, but well worth it. Go late in the day to see the setting sun.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Delicate Arch (23).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	16063
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Being a Utahn, I would pretty much agree with everything Paz said. No shortage of great places to visit in Utah - especially southern Utah. One other place I could recommend would be Lake Powell. You can stay at one of the RV parks in Page or other nearby parks & campgrounds. Taking a day trip to visit and hike to Rainbow Bridge (via boat - it is a bit pricey, but well worth it) is an amazing adventure. There are also dinner cruises and other day cruises that are well worth the effort. From Page, you can easily head over to Zion National Park. If you plan on staying in Zion, make your reservations early. There are usually vacancies in early Spring but as you get closer to Summer, you definitely need reservations. There are also great RV parks in Virgin & Hurricane which are close by. To avoid the crowds and for the best weather, the best time to visit southern Utah is late April to early May.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #19

Thanks for the great information, I am working my way through my planning and it looks like I will spend substantial amount of time in northern Arizona and southern Utah. I'm finding a lot to see and do and appreciate all of your input!
DaveAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #20

If you need hookups, the best is Trailer Village inside the park right at the South Rim. It's not great but it is so convenient. Once parked you can get around by using the shuttles - very easy. All other RV parks are too far to get the best use of your time at the South Rim.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:02 AM   #21

Grand Canyon

We stayed at Trailer Village and found it to be a good park with easy access & a handle shuttle. We would gladly stay there again.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #22

If you stay inside the park which is recommended, there is no reason to stay a few nights in Williams. About the only thing in Williams to do is the train ride into the park which in our opinion is not worth doing. If that's the way you plan to see the canyon you won't be seeing much of it! The train ride is through flat open country and once at the canyon you will only have a few hours there before heading back to Williams. It's also very expensive for doing that short trip.

Instead, stay IN the park and use your extra days in the Utah National Parks. They are all absolutely fantastic, and again, if possible, stay IN the parks for the best experience!! Have fun planning!

Quote:
Your comments have given me a lot of good ideas to consider. I had not thought about the advantage of staying in the NP CG. That option sounds like it makes a lot of sense.

I also wanted to spend time in Williams, so maybe staying a few nights in different locations as someone suggested might be an idea to pursue.

After spending time at Grand Canyon I want to head north into Utah do see some of that country.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #23

We too are looking at a vacation at Grand Canyon in early summer. We would like something close to the canyon that has some scenery and we love to do all our cooking outdoors. The pictures I found of Trailer Village looked like little more than a parking lot, but maybe the pictures I saw were deceiving. Can someone suggest a campground that appeals to those who like to be outside the RV for most of the day?

And is it true that the campgrounds inside the park do not have electric hook-ups?
Old 01-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #24

StarGazer,

You should rethink Trailer Village, you simply cannot beat being inside the park and able to walk to the rim for sun rise and sun sets. While it is no high class RV Resort, it is more than ok and has outstanding location. As they say in Real Estate, its all about location, location, location. There are full hookups, but you might want to keep your sewer hose off until you need to dump. Ravens seem to like them and have been known to peck the heck out of the hose.

Bob

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Arizona/Grand_Canyon_Village.html

PS If you really are a Star gazer then you should consider a trip to Big Bend NP in TX sometime. It has incredible night time skys, the best that I've seen in the lower 48.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2046.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	16852   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2040.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	16853  

Old 01-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #25

I was in the Davis Mountains State Park last year for spring break. Just before all the fires! You need to also try going the the "Texas Star Party" help at the Prude Ranch each April or May. In my younger days (before wife and kids) I use to try to go every year w/ my astronomy club that I still belong to T.A.S. (Texas Astronomical Society).
Old 01-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #26

Bob - and thanks for the information on staying inside the park. Since there is no electric inside the park, do people around you mind the constant running of a generator? That was our main concern staying inside the park.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer-1 View Post
Bob - and thanks for the information on staying inside the park. Since there is no electric inside the park,
? There ARE full hook ups at Trailer Village...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Thanks for the great information, I am working my way through my planning and it looks like I will spend substantial amount of time in northern Arizona and southern Utah. I'm finding a lot to see and do and appreciate all of your input!
Don't forget about the North Rim of GC. I like it better and there is a great campground there.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote