Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Planning a Trip to Grand Canyon

Ok, so I am planning a trip late next Spring and want to spend a few nights at the Grand Canyon (South Rim). Can anyone recommend RV Parks to stay in. I've searched on RV Park Reviews but nothing really jumped out at me.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2012 Keystone Cougar - 327RESWE, 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 LB w/ 6.7L Cummins
Clackamas, OR
DaveAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Alpine Owners Club
Dave, we have stayed at The Canyon Motel & RV Park in Williams and were satisfied with our stay. Williams provides a decent gateway to the Grand Canyon and has lots of neat restaurants and other amenities for your evening enjoyment. Here is a link to their website: The Canyon Motel and RV Park -The RV Park

Roger & Diana
'03 Alpine 36MDDS
Leeds, UT
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is a Grand Canyon National Park vendor campground, right in the park & not far from the rim. Grand Canyon Lodging, Hotel, Vacation, Camping, Lodge, Tours.
May need to setup reservations, depending on time of year, open year round I believe.
Then back in Tusayan, 2 1/2 miles from the park entrance is : Grand Canyon Camper Village (Tusayan, AZ) - Campground Reviews - TripAdvisor
They are closed during winter months opening ??? for the summer crowds.

We personally used the RV park in BedRock City: Flintstones Bedrock City, Williams, Arizona This was OK out in the desert, kind of hokey and cheap, but even further away from the park entrance.
When I return to the park, I would like to try early spring months and I would really like to stay several days in the RV park right on the rim.

Happy trails!
Steve & Leslie
Winnebago 2007 Adventurer 38T
Honda 2010 CR-V "Toad"
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
We stayed inside the park at Trailer Village. There is a shuttle that picks you up at the RV park and takes you to the rim. Can't beat that. It is an older park so the sites are not real roomy but we did fine with our 42 ft. rig.

2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
We stayed at Grand Caynon Railroad RV park in Williams. Very nice, a bit expensive, but we thought it was worth the money. RV park has all pull through sites on asphalt. The town of Williams was fun with unique restaurants & stores on route 66. The train ride was OK, but just a train ride. No great views of anything but we had fun.
2011 Itasca Suncruiser, Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
MSgt retired USAF 1988, AA retired 2005
toneumanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
We really liked Trailer Village!
Jeanie, Ed & Slade the GSD
Cape Cod, MA
2011 Jounrey 40L & Sierra Crew
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
American Coach Owners Club
We stayed at Canyon Gateway RV Park two summers ago and can recommend it. Straight shot into Williams from the CG. Buy your fuel in town...the station next to the CG charges over $.50 a gallon more. The view from the top of Bill Williams Mtn. is pretty cool. Very nice area to stay for awhile...the Canyon ain't bad either! Bob
Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
Rexhall Owners Group
I have stayed both in the park, and Williams. The FHU campground in the park is a little tight and it didn't appear that any of the spots were very level, but on the plus side you can see the canyon at dawn or dusk without traveling very far, and it is not uncommon to have wildlife wandering through the campground. There are multiple places to go eat, and some provisions can be purchased. The advantage to Williams is that it has several nice campgrounds, the town of Williams is interesting, plus the other sights in the area. The best advise is to stay in both places.
JohnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
Quite a few years back we stayed at a campground just outside of the park near the South rim. The site I find says it's 1 mile outside the park entrance. It's not cheap, but it certainly qualifies under location, location, location.
Grand Canyon Camper Village location and amenities
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed at one of the campgrounds in the national park. However we stayed in a back packing tent. Then we stayed at the bottom of the canyon after we hiked down. I realize that this isn't very relative to your request. However if I was to stay with my mh, I would stay in the park. There is only one Grand Canyon National Park & if you are going there for the first & possibly the only time you ever go. Why would you want to stay anywhere else? Being in the NP at different times of the day is a complete different experience each time, all within a 24 hr period. If you stay in Williams, are you going to make the journey more than once to see 7 enjoy the wonderful experiences of this great beatiful park?
Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
Camper Village---Location, Location, Location. I agree, sites are not very level and could be wider. It is an old park, but for just a few nights is ok. A bonus, summer before last we were there and a 10 point buck was just wandering around the park.

Happy Trails, Forrest
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:23 AM   #12
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
We really liked Trailer Village!
Ditto, can't beat the location and no long drives in and out from Williams. You can walk to the rim and stores. We had mule deer and elk come through the CG. No problems getting level either.

2006 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Bob and Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #13
Alpine Owners Club
Originally Posted by rdownward View Post
Dave, we have stayed at The Canyon Motel & RV Park in Williams and were satisfied with our stay. Williams provides a decent gateway to the Grand Canyon and has lots of neat restaurants and other amenities for your evening enjoyment. Here is a link to their website: The Canyon Motel and RV Park -The RV Park
I would second or third the recommendation. A very nice park, well maintained. A little pricey but given the dearth of options in the area, this was a good alternative. Spaces are generous, but no shade trees. The laundry/bath house was one of the nicest I have seen. Simply loved Williams and old Route 66. Spend some time window shopping and dining there. You also get access to some of the hotel amenities, like the swimming pool, if you camp there. Would definitely stay there again, even though my slide developed a hydraulic leak and I had to shell out $$ to get it back in. Didnt' mar the experience. Also, an onsite kennel if you have animals you want to leave back while visiting the Canyon (we took our dogs with us).
Jaime & Dave (and our 3 cocker spaniels)
2005 Alpine Coach 36FDTS w/ 2009 Honda CR-V, Doran TPMS, Roadmaster Towbar, US Gear Braking
Dave and Jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:20 AM   #14
IMO, you can't beat staying right in the park in Trailer Village. We've done it twice. It's a short drive (or take the shuttle that stops right in the campground) to the rim to watch the sunrise or sunset or just to walk along the rim. Take a day trip to Desert View, take the shuttle to Hermit Rest or a take mule ride into the canyon.

We took the train from Williams the first time we went to the canyon. There is even a nice campground right there at the train station. The ride is enjoyable and relaxing; but we found several hours the train trip allows at the canyon was not nearly enough time, so we ended up driving back again the next day in the car so we could see more.

2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote