Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Planning a Trip to Niagara Falls and New England States

Hi, All,
We (My wife and two teenage daughters) are planning on a summer trip from MI to, first Niagara Falls and then out east to some of the New England States (CT, VT, ME...) starting near the end of the second week of July. Any suggestions regarding campsites in those States, travel through Canada would be greatly appreciated.
Looking forward to hearing your advises.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #2

I can't give you campsites because it's a day trip for me. I will give you a couple of suggestions.

If you cross at either Port Huron or Detroit and run across camp on the Canadian side for one or two nights. That side is prettier and has more to do. If you sleep there you skip running through customs daily. Do visit the falls at dusk. The light show on the Canadian side is very nice.

I would also drive up the Canadian side and cross at Lewiston. Spend another night or two there and go down to the park on the American side. There are other attractions there too. There is also Fort Niagara and other bits north of there.

Leaving the area I would run across Rt 31 to Lockport to check out the Erie Canal Locks and get a taste of canal history. From there I would pick whatever route looked interesting across to Rochester where I would end up on Rt 104 as far as Fulton. Drive speed is a bit slower but no tolls and less miles than the Thruway plus some interesting places to stop depending on what you want. 104 stays limited access most of the way where traffic is heavy but dropping off is free. Outside the metro it's more than adequate except at rush hour. ;-)

From Fulton you can head down to the Thruway or up along the lake to the St Lawrence River. Interesting stuff up there. The Thruway is faster but the river is more interesting. If you are in a hurry grab the Thruway and head for Boston. Skip around that and start enjoying the coast.

When you get into Maine do plan a day in Freeport for the shopping. Delorme is just south of there in Yarmouth. Interesting stop. Again, if you are in a hurry do the superslab. IF not Rt 1 is not bad in my book. We did not get a lot farther north than Belfast last year so we are going back this year. ;-)

Old 06-09-2015, 11:32 PM   #3

If you use the thruway it is expensive.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:03 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you plan to visit Boston, or any of the historic areas in eastern Mass, the place to stay is the Minuteman Campground in Littleton, MA. Lovely place, woodsy, well treed, convenient to Concord, Lexington, and other places of history. Convenient to the rail service into Boston- about 50 minutes. 2nd generation owners and staff very friendly and helpful.

I lived most of my life in Boston, and about 15 years in the next town over from Littleton. Everywhere you turn around there you're tripping over some history!! It's great. And when you're done, it's convenient to jump on the highway that will take you to Maine, where they will try to convince you that they're the only ones who know lobstah. Hah!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:17 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Campgrounds in and around Niagara Falls are a little different. it seems that they have a small motel or in one case a tour company in the front with the campgrd in the back. Cant recall the one we stayed in last year but looked at two that had the same configuration. Both were nice campgrds and close to the falls.
If you get to New Hampshire/Vermont check out Moose River Campground, nice family place in St Johnsbury. It is located to allow some great day trips, like ben & Jerrys, The Teddy Bear Factory, Clarks Trading Post etc.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Spend a day at the beach in Narragansett Rhode Island. Scarborough beach has a grassy area that they open up on the weekends. We go all the time. great way to spend a day at the ocean.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:11 AM   #7

Lone Pine Campground in Colchester, VT is a nice family CG close to I89 just north of Burlington which gives you easy access to downtown Burlington (Church St area), Ethan Allen boat cruise on Lake Champlain, and the wonderful Shelburne outdoor museum south of Burlington, and, of course, the Ben & Jerry's factory off exit 10 in Waterbury Center.
You could also drive to Stowe Resort and take the Toll Road to the top of Mt Mansfield.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
If you use the thruway it is expensive.
True. But is is also faster. It depends what your priorities are at the moment.

Another thing worth pointing out is the stretch from ~ Syracuse east to Amsterdam is probably worth paying for as the alternatives are somewhat congested. From Amsterdam to Bennington then across southern VT is prettier and shorter but slower than swinging down and across the Mass Pike. OTOH if you want to hit Connecticut & Road Island it is the best route by far unless you like twisty two lane.

It is also worth noting that there is a lot of fairly empty two lane truck routes like Rt 2 across Maine, Rt 9 in VT, or Rt 11 in northern NY that move along at a good pace.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:13 PM   #9
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for your suggestions!
Safe travels to all.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I stayed at the KOA in Niagara Falls. It was a nice campground, close to the falls, and the staff was very helpful with suggestions on things to do. ☺

2014 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
dogs162910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #11
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, Bob!