Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Planning Fall New England Trip

I think this Fall may be the first opportunity for my wife & I to take an extended trip in the MH. We usually go visit my son's family in Maryland in September so we're thinking of heading up into the New England states. I'm familiar with the area around Washington D.C. but haven't been any farther north than that. We would like to see the Boston & Cape Cod area and thought about going up into Maine. We would then head west and eventually visit some of the wife's relatives in Michigan before heading back south. May stop off at the Monaco Indiana factory on the way home. Want to be back home for Halloween.

We don't have any definite plans other than what I described above and I know campgrounds will begin shutting down up there for the winter sometime between mid to late October. Any roads I need to avoid? What are the "must see" places up there? We will be in a 34' Class A DP MH pulling our VW Beetle so we can use the MH as a base and use the Bug to move around the area on day trips.

Any helpful information would be appreciated.
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #2

We did an epic coast-to-coast trip a couple of years ago with the goal of ending up on the eastern seaboard in time to see fall colors. However, a nasty storm hit at about the time the fall colors were in full show so we missed much of the fall foliage. We were able to take our time and saw some beautiful country in Vermont, but I must warn you about Vermont's secondary roads, they are in terrible shape, even worse than Los Angeles. We were told they only maintain the main tollway roads and I believe it! I thought we were going to shred our 5th wheel. We had reservations near Cape Cod but due to storms we weren't able to stay there. We spent a day touring Boston and another day in Salem. I would recommend the bus tours they provide, those cities are tricky for driving and parking. Weather is always a wild card and can blow all the leaves off the trees, so make sure you are prepared for other things to see and do.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #3

Depending on the date of your trip, the days may be really short. We visited Bar Harbor many years ago, before the lengthening of daylight saving time, and it was dark by 4 in the afternoon.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #4

It is a beautiful time to visit New England. Late September and early October are fall foliage time.
The mad rush lets up on the Maine coast after Labor Day when kids go back to school.

Something to remember, many CG close after Columbus Day for the season.
markroblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Depending on the date of your trip, the days may be really short. We visited Bar Harbor many years ago, before the lengthening of daylight saving time, and it was dark by 4 in the afternoon.
That's a very good point to remember. When you get "downeast" Maine, you're at the extreme eastern edge of the time zone. The days start and end early. When you get into mid-November, the sun sets about 4.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you are heading west from Maine, the White Mountains of NH, especially near Mt Washington are gorgeous. A trip to the top of Mt. Washington is breath taking. Rt 100 in Vermont has been rated as a top road for cyclists and it is worth the trip in your MH. Good luck and have fun planning the trip.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to all for the suggestions. It is good to get some feedback on Vermont & New Hampshire because I find it is hard information about those states. At least we still have a lot of time to plan.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:01 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Just a heads up if you are going to be there thru Columbus weekends make reservation as far in advance as you can due to that being the peak Fall Foliage weekend, and last big camping weekend up there.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #9

I did that trip a few years ago. I'm from CT originally and like the New England landscape. There are some very important things you should be aware of. Stay off I-95 from Virginia up through Maine. Never drive you rig thorugh the big cities. New England roads were originally designed for horses. Use your toad for exploring those. I have heard good things about Normandy Farms in Mass. Park you MH there and explore the area in the toad. There are a number of good CG's around Lake George in NY. I loved the area in the fall. Stowe Vermont is another great place and the campground to stay in is Gold Brook. You really have to do your research and read the customer reviews on Campgrounds in New England because most places have not been refurbished in decades. Good luck in finding 50 amp service. I have given up finding a good camp ground in CT that is near anything. Columbus Day is the day most Campgrounds close down so leave before then. Labor day is the day State Campgounds close but most have no hook ups. While it changes slightly from year to year, leaf peeping is best between the last week in Sept and the first week in October and it works from North to south. Maine has many great campgrounds and resorts. After you are done with your trip please let us know how it went. All new experiences are welcome. I'd like to do a trip to Michigan one year and want to know how that part of your trip went. If you want to see NYC let us know. You have some choices depending on how much you want to drive and how much you want to spend. My other general recommendation is eat like the locals and stay away from the chains. A name you never heard of and a full parking lot means a great restaurant. Have fun.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #10

I grew up in MA/NH area (but I got to Texas as soon as I could). Fall to me is best tasted in the form of fresh picked MacIntosh apples- There are plenty of orchards that allow you to pick your own so that might be a nice diversion (and a tasty one!).

I have stayed at KOA Mystic and this is a good location to explore the CT and RI coastal areas (Newport RI and the famous homes might be fun). Mystic Seaport in CT is also nearby. For a nice excursion train trip I recommend the Essex Steam train in nearby Essex CT (Essexsteamtrain.com). The train runs along the CT River. If you want to check out NYC you could do it from Mystic KOA by driving to New Haven and then getting the Metro North commuter train to NYC but this will take awhile.

As far as Cape Cod goes, I have to admit I haven't been to the Cape since Moby was a minnow so I am not going to have any recommendations there. For my family, we happily skip the Cape as we have visited nicer beaches and we aren't the least bit nostalgic about the Kennedy's or the allure of the Cape. For my money, I would try and visit to Plimoth Plantation (Plimoth Plantation |) In Plymouth MA. It is close to the Cape without having to actually go to the Cape.

For touring Boston, I recommend staying at a decent rated campground 20 to 35 miles out and located convenient to a MBTA commuter rail line. One such campground I know of, but haven't stayed at, is Boston Minuteman Campground (Quality Family Camping in the Boston Area | Easy access, good-sized sites, clean facilities, friendly atmosphere. Open until October 20th. See you soon!). It is located in Littleton, MA and convenient to the commuter rail to access Boston (I did dump my tanks there once). It is not really at all close to Boston although it has the city in its name. It is, however, in a bucolic setting in New England and will put you in prime MacIntosh apple country!!!! Also- check local farm stands as you tour around. Oh- and the apple cider is also fabulous. This is also a decent jump off point for a day trip to check out Concord and Lexington but definitely take the toad if you are going that direction. Also convenient from this campground would be a day trip to Old Sturbridge Village (Home | Old Sturbridge Village).

I think the one must see item in Boston for me would be USS Constitution Museum (USS Constitution Museum, Old Ironsides, Boston, MA)

I have been to/from New England via I-95 (George Washington Bridge and Cross Bronx Expressway) several times. I have also gone around it to the northwest. There is a peaceful KOA on the Neversink River northwest of NYC and this area could be a jump off point to NYC for a day trip if that was on your agenda.

In New Hampshire, I have stayed at Danforth Bay in Freedom NH in the Lakes Region. There may be others that are open year round but this is as good as any. And the area is spectacular. If you like trains, then you MUST tour the Mount Washington Cog Railroad and the Conway Scenic Railroad is SPECTACULAR!!!!! (it's even better if you bring some fresh picked MacIntosh apples with you!!).

A couple of navigation tips:

1) Any road designated as a "Parkway" DO NOT USE with RV- Especially in and around NYC. Parkways prohibit RV's (passenger cars only). Examples include: "Merritt Parkway" in CT and "Huthinson River Pkwy" in NY.

2) Don't rely on GPS to get you to the correct driveway to your campground or other destination. I recommend doing research on your destinations ahead of time and using google maps to make sure you find the correct entrance, then touch the map on your GPS and navigate to the point you touched on the map rather than the mailing address.

I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip. There is much to see and I am certain it will be a memorable trip!

Patrick J
Now in Texas
PatrickJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:04 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DLindy, D in Davie, & PatrickJ,
Great information which I'll definitely keep in mind! That's why this forum is so helpful. I don't know that we'll try to see NYC this trip since we go to Maryland pretty much every year. I'm thinking this will be the first of multiple trips to New England in the future.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Stay away from the GW bridge the approaches are TERRIBLE, expensive and heavy traffic. We always go north through NJ into Ct on I-84. In the Boston area Normandy Farms is the best. If you want to go to Maine hit it after Labor Day, kids in school and CG's are not crowded. We live on Cape Cod and if we want to go away for a few days we hit Atlantic Oaks in Orleans. It is next to the National Seashore and far enough out on the Cape after the traffic has thinned out. NEVER go to the Cape on Friday afternoon/evening or try to leave on Sunday. The Sagamore bridge is under construction, 1 lane each way Monday - Friday 8 am to 4:30, they are supposed to be finished the end of May??? Use the Boune bridge, even if coming from Boston it is a better choice. The fall is the best time to visit NE. If you want more info PM me. PS we are headed to Alaska in May returning in September, will miss all the summer tourists.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #13

I have always been told by people in the area it may be a little longer but 287 to 87N to 84 around it all unless you really want to visit NYC.
markroblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DrDaveMA, once we have our plans a little more definite I may take you up on requesting more information. Thank you.

Markroblee, I'll definitely take a look at your suggested route. The last thing I want to do is drive through NYC.

------ Jim