Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Okay, even after last years decision that we were done with Sol Duc, my lady and I decided we were going to go back to how we used to do it. Namely, going in the fall (September 19th-22nd), and just the two of us (Last time we brought Mom-in-law).

The first time we went to Sol Duc, we stayed at Dash Point. While close, and not a bad campground, some of the folks staying there got me worried enough to want to chain everything down so that it wouldn't walk out of our campsite.

The second time we went, we stayed out at Kanasket-Palmer SP, which was far far nicer than Dash Point, but way the devil out of the way for traveling in to shop Seattle on a daily basis.

So, now we're planning Sol Duc 3, and are trying to figure out where to stay. With gas prices higher, folks are staying closer to home and the 19th-22nd of September is outside the reservation window for most Washington SPs. This can be a bit of a problem as we won't really have a backup plan for the area if Dash is full.

Also, if possible, I'd like to find something similar to Dash Point, but perhaps a bit nicer and not as far away as Kanasket Palmer SP.

We pondered RV parks in the past, but private RV parks have a bad history of denying pickup camper owners the option of removing their camper. After having done it once in the past, the heart of downtown Seattle is about the worst place to try and drive around (Or Park) a pickup camper.

So, we're open to suggestion, if you know of a reasonably rated ($20-30 a night) private RV park that is pickup camper friendly in the area and has alot of shade and sites that are not right on top of one-another (And possibly dog friendly as well, since our family has grown by one Miniature Schnauzer puppy).

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Okay, even after last years decision that we were done with Sol Duc, my lady and I decided we were going to go back to how we used to do it. Namely, going in the fall (September 19th-22nd), and just the two of us (Last time we brought Mom-in-law).

The first time we went to Sol Duc, we stayed at Dash Point. While close, and not a bad campground, some of the folks staying there got me worried enough to want to chain everything down so that it wouldn't walk out of our campsite.

The second time we went, we stayed out at Kanasket-Palmer SP, which was far far nicer than Dash Point, but way the devil out of the way for traveling in to shop Seattle on a daily basis.

So, now we're planning Sol Duc 3, and are trying to figure out where to stay. With gas prices higher, folks are staying closer to home and the 19th-22nd of September is outside the reservation window for most Washington SPs. This can be a bit of a problem as we won't really have a backup plan for the area if Dash is full.

Also, if possible, I'd like to find something similar to Dash Point, but perhaps a bit nicer and not as far away as Kanasket Palmer SP.

We pondered RV parks in the past, but private RV parks have a bad history of denying pickup camper owners the option of removing their camper. After having done it once in the past, the heart of downtown Seattle is about the worst place to try and drive around (Or Park) a pickup camper.

So, we're open to suggestion, if you know of a reasonably rated ($20-30 a night) private RV park that is pickup camper friendly in the area and has alot of shade and sites that are not right on top of one-another (And possibly dog friendly as well, since our family has grown by one Miniature Schnauzer puppy).

Old 08-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
JOSEPH:
check out www.pubcamp.info.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for the map Dan . Sadly, she's not listing any new campgrounds that I didn't already know about..... (I.E. Dash Point, Saltwater and Kanasket-Palmer)
Old 08-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
jfb

Being somewhat familiar with the region. ie Seattle area, Puget Sound and the North Olympic Peninsula, I am kind of puzzled as to what arrangements/connections you trying to make. Seattle and the State Parks you mention are in one world and Sol Duc (Hot Springs?) in the Olympic National Park is in another. There are a lot of State Parks and private RV parks on the Peninsula as well as a lot of points of interest over there.... Where are you coming from?
Old 08-08-2008, 01:31 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
We already know where we're staying at Sol Duc, namely Sol Duc's campground itself. We've always called this trip the Sol Duc Adventure. This is the third time around, and the part we spend in the Seattle area has always been kinda hit or missing accomodation wise.

We spend 4 days up in Washington, two in the Seattle area for the misses to gorge on shopping and a couple out at the hotsprings relaxing.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:44 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A possible alternative for staying IN Seattle. Stay at Fay Bainbridge State Park on Bainbridge Island and take the ferry into downtown Seattle (a 35 minunte ferry ride, running about every hour, 5am - 2pm ish, as a passenger only or with car and passengers).

The Hamptons
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well so far after doing some inquiry with the misses and the Kent KOA, we will probably make reservations at the Kent KOA.

If anyone has stayed there in the past, make any suggestions as to which areas of the campground are better? We're likely going to aim for a spot with more tree cover, but are these closer to the road and more road noise?
Old 08-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

We've always stayed at Fidalgo Bay RV Resort in Anacortes and day tripped down I-5 to Seattle for Pike Place shopping. Then we've loaded the Bus on the Keystone Ferry and crossed over to Port Townsend, where we stay at Fort Worden State Park.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote