Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #1

Planning trip

We are new to class C camping. We are planing a cross country trip from Punta Gorda fl. To Abiquiu NM. To San Diego Ca. To Washington state to Idaho and back to fl. We plan to drive 6-8 hours a day. We are looking for inexpensive safe places to camp along the way. We will stay 1-3 days per stop. Our camper is a Coachman Concord 30'. We plan to start or trip around the middle of September. Any suggestions on where to stop along the way?
Panc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 11:36 PM   #2

Abiquiu has a lovely Corp of Engineer park. If you are 62+ and have your national Senior Pass the site is 1/2 off.

The rest of your trip covers a lot of ground so I don't know what specific areas you're thinking about except San Diego which is expensive. You might look into Santee Lakes County Park which is close to San Diego.

How much time do you have for this big trip?
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:58 AM   #3

Suggestions

Try using campgroundreviews.com to locate possible stops along your route. You can get an idea of where you might want to stay. You can also use google map to see what the facility looks like to assist you in your decision about where to stay. This is a good web site for Corp of Engineers campgrounds around the country; The Ultimate Public Campgrounds Project - Home. It lists numerous places to stay and the amenities associated with the campground. I personally use these tools when planning my travel. I also use the 3/300 rule. I stop for the day at either 3:00pm or 300 miles whichever comes first. I am not on a restricted schedule so we stop when we find something interesting.
Safe travels and enjoy!
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:55 AM   #4

I cross reference the reviews on campgroundreviews.com with rvparky.com.
I determine via googlemaps where we'll be after driving the # of miles or distance for that day, and then check the reviews for a place to stay. I'll google "things to do in xxxxx" to see if it's an interesting place to be or just a place to sleep and move on.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Panc,
For the South West part of the trip you are okay. For the North West part of the trip you'll be a bit late in the year. Cold and snow set in pretty fast in the NW USA.

My suggestions are these:
1. Do the trip in reverse. The NW first, then come south.
2. Get a book on the National Parks, Monuments and Historical Sites. This will get you started.

There is too much to see to post here. When you have specifics, please post.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote