Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Planning trip to Yosemite in the spring

Good place to camp. Will have tode with us.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Getting advice on Yosemite is like pulling teeth.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We stayed at Yosemite Pines RV Park. It's a Thousand Trails park, but they allow the public too. It's not far from from Groveland, CA on Hiway 120. From there, you can get down into the Valley in about a half hour. We were there just before the fire, so I don't know what's changed. I would stay there again If I went to Yosemite. I guess I'm assuming you are coming from the west, buy maybe not.

http://www.yosemitepinesrv.com/yosem...g-rv-tent.html
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #4

We camped at Lower Pines Campground, right inside Yosemite, during the first week of April last year and enjoyed it. We didn't realize till we arrived that it was spring break for school kids for some (or all) of Califorinia that week so it was a busy place & full campground. Once the weekend came, the campground wasn't nearly as full. We like it a little quieter and would reserve around spring break next time. Our 35 foot RV towing a dolly with a Jeep wasn't a problem. Pictures taken after school break week ended.

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
We stayed at Yosemite Pines RV Park. It's a Thousand Trails park, but they allow the public too. It's not far from from Groveland, CA on Hiway 120. From there, you can get down into the Valley in about a half hour. We were there just before the fire, so I don't know what's changed. I would stay there again If I went to Yosemite. I guess I'm assuming you are coming from the west, buy maybe not.

Yosemite Campsites For RV or Tent Camping | Yosemite Pines RV
The Thousand Trails Park is called Yosemite Lakes, not Yosemite Pines. It is about 15 miles further west, closer to Yosemite NP, than the park you've cited. The Yosemite Lakes park is a Thousand Trails park (the Yosemite Pines park is not). Yosemite Lakes park does have non-Thousand Trails member access.

Yosemite Lakes RV Campground | RV Resorts in California
Old 01-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
The Thousand Trails Park is called Yosemite Lakes, not Yosemite Pines. It is about 15 miles further west, closer to Yosemite NP, than the park you've cited. The Yosemite Lakes park is a Thousand Trails park (the Yosemite Pines park is not). Yosemite Lakes park does have non-Thousand Trails member access. Yosemite Lakes RV Campground | RV Resorts in California

My bad. You are correct and that's the one we stayed in.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GREGORYJ, do you remember which space you were in at lower pines? I know there are only a few for a rig your size. We are planning a trip there in August and your space looks perfect. Thanks, Al
Old 01-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #8

We loved Yosemite and the surrounding area(Jeep Roads). We stayed at Mono Vista RV in Lee Vining...less than a mile to the road that leads into the west side of the park(120). There are some good restaurants in town and gas stations for our end of day fill ups. We packed a lunch every day and sometimes would not get back to the CG before dark.

We would have stayed another week but the CG was booked. We spent 7 days hiking/driving Yosemite and most of the back roads listed in their off road maps(most visitor ctrs have them). Although Yosemite is the star attraction, the ghost town of Bodie, the Stone Coral, Mono Lake and many, many other seeming endless back roads with numerous old closed mines, were an adventure in of themselves. A few of these roads(some were old stage coach roads) are mainly pumice and require a 4wd(very loose) but most can be traveled by normal 2wd car. On most, we never saw another vehicle, so you're basically on your own out there.

This thread makes me want to go back...what a great backyard California has.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #9

Hi macnut. I made a mistake, we stayed in Upper Pines Campground which is just across the road from Lower Pines. Our site # was 85. On the reservation site, I
had picked a site that was rated for 35' RV's. See info Campsite Details - 085, UPPER PINES, CA - Recreation.gov. We used the
park's free buses or biked most of our time there, only using the Jeep to see the Sequoia trees at the Mariposa Grove.

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like a great site and a great vacation. Thanks!