Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Portland To Phoenix

Portland to Phoenix, originally planning to travel to Canyonville, Corning, Bakersfield, Needles then to Phoenix. Trying to avoid LA and all that traffic. Good Sam maps has me getting on 99 at Sacramento. It looks to me that I could stay on I 5, then take 58 over to Bakersfield.. First time in that area, looking for ideas. Is all this too much just to avoid LA?
Thanks, Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
laj

personally I would avoid calif. altogether. several other options to get to Phoenix. jmo

Old 02-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Take 58 over.
You will not want to do LA.
The road is good and you are on the high plains.
Sometimes there may be a cross wind but no problem

99 can be slower due to lots of small towns and some
parts of the road are typical California rough.

Still worth not doing LA
Old 02-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just made the trip from Portland to Tucson last month. We did I5 to Bakersfield, then to Lake Havasu, and then to Tucson. I used to run 99 and it can be a bit more traffic. I wouldn't hesitate if there's something you want to see on that route, but personally prefer I5.

Have a great trip. We sure enjoyed ours.
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks all, I did some click and drag on my GS map and now have something I can live with.
Don
Old 02-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
We did SF Bay Area to Phoenix last year and went via Bakersfield also. Bakersfield RV Resort is a great stop. Nice park with great pull thrus, you don't need to unhook toad. Have a bar and grill onsite. We liked being able to park and grab lunch and relax a bit. Nice grass at the sites and freshly baked cookies every afternoon at the office. Nice folks. Amenities

We went via Disneyland, of all things, in our 40 ft. At first my husband was not happy about LA freeways, but to be honest it just takes patience and watching the GPS to see what's ahead. We did fine. But coming back from Phoenix we went up to Flagstaff using 17, up to 40 and then over to see the Grand Canyon in Williams and drove to Vegas before heading back thru Bakersfield. We liked that route and it avoids the LA freeways. All of the return was easy to handle. Have a great trip.
RobinfromCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
Portland to Phoenix, originally planning to travel to Canyonville, Corning, Bakersfield, Needles then to Phoenix. Trying to avoid LA and all that traffic. Good Sam maps has me getting on 99 at Sacramento. It looks to me that I could stay on I 5, then take 58 over to Bakersfield.. First time in that area, looking for ideas. Is all this too much just to avoid LA?
Thanks, Don
Both 99 and I-5 to 58 are OK highways. 99 might be a bit slower. Weather permitting we often take Hwy 89 out of northern CA to Susanville, 395 to Reno, and 95 to Las Vegas and 93 to Phoenix. Mostly two lane highways but good road surface.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:18 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A big thanks to all, WE are back in Oregon and will be home today. Returned from Phoenix through Palm Springs area and came across the north side of LA.. No big deal at mid-day. I already miss wearing shorts and sandals everyday.