Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #1

Previewing RV Parks

When I find an area I like, I often wonder if I chose the best RV Park in the area. I reley hevely on Trailer life's rating system but ofter wonder; Will RV Parks let me prview their park for the next time I visit the area?
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
You mean, like come in and look around? If so, absolutely, we do it all the time. We always ask at the gate or stop at the office -- they generally give us a map, and say go look around, let us know if you have any questions. (We're usually in the toad when we do this, but I doubt they'd care if we had the whole rig with us.)
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
When I find an area I like, I often wonder if I chose the best RV Park in the area. I reley hevely on Trailer life's rating system but ofter wonder; Will RV Parks let me prview their park for the next time I visit the area?
We find that who ever buys the largest ad in Trailer Life gets the high ratings ( with exceptions of course ). Some rat holes have gotten high ratings IMHO . Another source of park reviews is RV Park Reviews :: Home

Good luck and welcome to IRV2

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I use rv park reviews, mentioned by Cliff above, Trailer Life Directory, and then I look at them on Google Earth to get a visual of the area and campground.

I do not pay too much attention to Trailer Life's ratings, they do tend to be rated higher than they should be, but there is other info in their ratings that are useful. Such as size of the sites, 50 amp or no, cable, etc.

On Rv Park reviews, I read the reviews and throw out the reviews that have an ax to grind as well as the one's that claim a certain campground is the worlds greatest. Once you learn to read the reviews in relation of whats important to you they are useful. Definitely better than Trailer Life.

Google Earth allows me to see the campgound, the roads into it, as well as the area around the campground. One time a campground we were considering was found to be sandwiched between an 8 lane highway and a railroad yard- of course this was not mentioned in Trailer Life and their high ratings. We passed on that park.

We also go in and check out other parks where we travel. Have not been denied a look see anywhere yet.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Yep, I agree with checking it out first on Google Earth - at least you get a good glimpse of the area. We went the other day and checked one out. We were out driving around IN the motorhome and just pulled up to the gate and asked if we could drive through and check it out for a future overnight visit. They said, "SURE." No problem.
Starfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You know what I'd like to see? I'd like to see pictures (and maybe even video) that guests take of where they stay. RV Park Reviews is good, but unless the web site for the camp ground has pictures, you have no idea what it looks like.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Like the others I rely heavily on campgroundreviews.com and Google. I find the Trailer Life ratings too erratic and stopped using them altogether after we stayed at a park early in 2010 that had a high rating, but was terrible (in my opinon).

As for pics, there are a few options there. I take detailed pics & review all the places we stay on my blog (click below to have a look), and there's a couple of other bloggers that do the same (e.g. RV-dreams does it here: Campground Reviews) and Henry&Beth do it here: RV Campsites and Reviews, plus a few more). So, for pics I tend to rely on the bloggers.

Nina
Old 03-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #8

RV Park Reviews are great, but sometimes owners will get through and over rate their parks and give their competitors a horrible review. You have to read all the reviews and view between the lines. Some people will give a bad review because there are trees as it messes up the satellite. Others will rate it high because it has trees. You must read between the line.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
hi luvin

we regularly "check out" parks - always asking first and getting maps & rates

like others - our favorite & must visit website is RV Park Reviews :: Home
PRICELESS!

regards, pdq
Old 03-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #10

My worst case of an RV Park that I choose by a picture is Wanee Lake Golf Course and RV Park in Ashburn, GA. Their pictures is a beautiful green space in front of a lake. The lake is at the back end of the golf course and the RV area is a scraped out mess at the front. If I had used Google Earth I wouldn't have stayed there, but it was late and thank goodness it was only an in transit overnight. Visit if you can or get pictures from some other source than the RV park itself.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One simple Rule of Thumb...if the owners and/or manager will not allow you to preview the park...RUN !
MegaRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
You know what I'd like to see? I'd like to see pictures (and maybe even video) that guests take of where they stay. RV Park Reviews is good, but unless the web site for the camp ground has pictures, you have no idea what it looks like.
The pictures in my reviews & albums here were all taken when we stayed at that particular camground.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Try TiffinRVNetwork Campground Reviews - Home Page for the ability to post photos. Most reviews are from class A motorhome owners so it's another good source of information for other class A jockeys. On some sityes the reviews are good but they may be posted by someone with a smaller RV and won't necessarily reflect the needs of someone with a larger RV.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, while camping at one state park, I will check out other state parks and private parks while in the area or on the trip home. I will take my camera and take a picture of the sites sign post and a picture of the site or sites I like. Some campgrounds, especially private parks are way different from what their website or brochure shows....better to take a "look-see" than have to spend $$$ at a place you don't like...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote