Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #1

Private RV lot on lake?

We are considering buying a lot on a lake with no house or a very small house and making it available to RVs for weekly or longer stays. It would have direct lake access for kayaks or possibly boat dock access, but it would be lacking in the community feel of an RV park. We don't know how much interest renters would have in staying somewhere so private or how much they would be willing to pay for this per week, so it's making us very wary. Your thoughts on the matter would be appreciated!
CurbWt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbWt98 View Post
We are considering buying a lot on a lake with no house or a very small house and making it available to RVs for weekly or longer stays. It would have direct lake access for kayaks or possibly boat dock access, but it would be lacking in the community feel of an RV park. We don't know how much interest renters would have in staying somewhere so private or how much they would be willing to pay for this per week, so it's making us very wary. Your thoughts on the matter would be appreciated!
You didn't say where. The location and the lake info (big, small, fishing, skiing?) will make all the difference in interest and willingness to pay.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #3

Cost of lot
Cost of 'business insurance'
Costs for upkeep/maintenance
Cost for repairs
Time/effort

VS rental price

IMO-----Not enough profit margin to make it worth while.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #4

Where would this be? For a winter destination or summer? One RV lot? of many? Hookups? Road access? Big rigs? This could be very nice if you do it right. How close to nearest town?

Zoning? Is your plan allowed? Sewer/septic allowed next to the lake?

This could be an expensive project for just one site.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #5

send me the address/location and specs and we'll come! me likee!!

yes, many of us want a private place of solace, not an rv park full of folks.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not qualified to advise you on that.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:07 AM   #7

Can't help as far as renting it out and making money but it sounds like a great place to stay. We just bought a lot on the river near us just so we could have a place to camp with no neighbors. We are not anti-social people and the local county park where we went a lot is very nice. However it is first come first served so we never knew if we would get into one of the spots we like or one of the less desirable ones. Our dogs love it even more than we do because they run free most of the time.
So, will you make money? Don't know. Are there people that will want to stay there? No doubt in my mind. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
send me the address/location and specs and we'll come! me likee!!

yes, many of us want a private place of solace, not an rv park full of folks.
Us too.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Actually pretty Simple - LOCATION - LOCATION - LOCATION.

LEGAL?

SEWER, WATER AND ELECTRIC?

Air B and B sort of deal - Management - Security - Convenience - $$$$$????

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:34 AM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
Of course location will be the key, but I don't think CurbWt is looking to pay for it through rentals. You might rent it for enough to pay the power bills some months etc.
Having a lot that is always available is worth a lot, but sometimes a change of scenery is good also.
I believe there is section on iRV2 that one can post swapping lots with other RVers. That might be a consideration also
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:40 PM   #11

Thank you for all of your thought-provoking questions! The lake we wanted is too expensive to make an RV-only rate an option. It might be an incentive to rent the house if the renter had family who wanted to bring their RV, but that's about it. Knowing there's interest in a private option makes me more determined to carry out my plan, so I'll just have to keep looking until the numbers work out. I need to look in an area with fewer attractions that raise the property values.
CurbWt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:32 PM   #12

Lightbulb

Quote:
Thank you for all of your thought-provoking questions! The lake we wanted is too expensive to make an RV-only rate an option. It might be an incentive to rent the house if the renter had family who wanted to bring their RV, but that's about it. Knowing there's interest in a private option makes me more determined to carry out my plan, so I'll just have to keep looking until the numbers work out. I need to look in an area with fewer attractions that raise the property values.
You might want to attach or post your income/expense plan including startup cost, land acquisition, development and other capital expenses, for the forum to review. This would give us a very good idea of how well you understand land development and resort management. And act as a way for you to get the best financial information that you can.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Many "lake front" properties, command 2 or 3 times the price of property located just across the road without water access. Now if your main investment was for a family cabin or residence and a few rent-able RV spots for residual income, then that is an option. You just have to provide at least water and electric to attract people with RV's.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:21 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Seriously, you should look into what insurance coverages and costs, before you go any further. If you rent (or even allow free stays) on a property you own, you will be liable for accidents and injuries that occur while on the property, as well as site pollution from careless RV'er dumping their used motor oil, or blackwater tank.

With no one there to oversee who is actually there, and check on the place a few times a day, I can't imagine it being worth the risks.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote