Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
The first time we went to Q we thought we would stay for a week as we were sure we wouldn't like it. Well, we had such a great time we stayed for 6 weeks and now we spend the whole winter boondocking there and have done for the past few years.
We don't go to the RV show and we don't buy stuff we don't need, in fact we avoid town when the show is on, it's too crowded. But we have managed to get some hard to find items at the Gamblers.
Im not sure why we like it so much but it does feel like we're 'home' when we roll into town.

We enjoy the feel of a village community, and having your nearest neighbor hundres of feet away instead of 10' away!

We enjoy $2 beers at the yacht club, Silly Al's and meeting up with our winter friends each year and enjoying the ATVing in the desert. We would not like to stay in an RV park where there are organized activities, that isn't our thing at all.

Well be there from end of October to mid April this year

something for the weekend...1968 Vanguard Camper on 1989 GMC 2500
Open Roaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #16

I don't think Quartzite is as good as it use to be when the Main Event was huge with tons and tons of venders. I feel prices now are much higher and quality, not so much. I love to go and just watch people. To be honest, I like to go to Quartzite because the people are great, good food and when I am there I don't feel so old, lol.
Hollysrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj
We have never been to Quartzite and never intend to go there. We don't boondock and have no reason to go there to buy stuff. Anything we need to buy we can pretty much buy online anytime during the year. I don't need to buy from vendors hyping that they are giving a "show discount." Even at reputable RV rallies it seems as if at least half the vendors are selling stuff that isn't much above the Ginzu knife level. If I want to meet up with RV friends, we'll make arrangements to meet somewhere at our mutual convenience.
Don't be so serious man.......Rver's do things that do not make sense all the time. That is why we all throw money away on doing something we enjoy. We went to Qville once and thought it would be horrible........met some of the most funloving Rver's we have ever met! Things do not always have to mKe sense to have fun!
Largeandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
Well - I think you are missing the point.

The show is not the main attraction, although it's fun the browse the vendor streets and see if you can avoid buying some of the stuff that you didn't need in the first place.

The main attraction is to go and spend some quality time with old Rv friends, who keep turning up (like you do yourself). Have a drink - tell a lie - learn something new - relax - enjoy the friendship. That's what Quartzsite is to us.

Don't be a stranger. Come see us and let your hair down (no offence to bald people intended )
HB, Couldn't have said it better myself... When westbound on I-10 and coming over that last hill before the "Q" valley - then looking out over 100-200 sq. miles of BLM land and seeing 10-15,000 RV's takes your (my) breath away.
PS - BLM "parks" are not free - $40 for 2 weeks last year. Less per day for longer stays.
Dump stations and water are included.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Here is an example of costs that I saw this last Jan.

A Vendor who sells pull down sun shades at the Yuma swap meet for $19.95 was selling them at Q for the once in a life time deal of 3 for $99.00. He wasn't happy with me when I told a customer that in Yuma you can buy 5 shades for that price. I know because I bought mine in Yuma the week before from the same Vendor.

On the other side there are some great deals. This past Jan I bought the Steer Safe System for $415.00 installed.

So there are good deals and there are not so good deals. But in the end if you are happy and having fun what does it matter. Now I have never been to the Book Store and the boss says NO to the Magic Circle. I'm also a little paranoid about driving a rear radiator DP out into the Desert, so we don't boondock.
sgtjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #20

Never been, I will go once for a week, the longest time I can dry camp before a dump and call it done. Toooo many nicer places still to see and do.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
HB, Couldn't have said it better myself... When westbound on I-10 and coming over that last hill before the "Q" valley - then looking out over 100-200 sq. miles of BLM land and seeing 10-15,000 RV's takes your (my) breath away.
PS - BLM "parks" are not free - $40 for 2 weeks last year. Less per day for longer stays.
Dump stations and water are included.

Thanks for all the replies. It's obvious now that this place would not be for me. I go out to get away from what it sounds like this place is. Throw in people riding around on ATVs and that just would be hell for us. I'm glad I asked.

We'll continue going to our favorite quiet park down on the Sea of Cortez, seeing the friends we've met and meeting new ones who enjoy the peace and beauty of a small Mexican village.

It's a matter of different strokes/different folks. You all have fun this winter !
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #22

It's referred to as the "Worlds Largest Swap Meet".

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcyeakel View Post
A question for those with knowledge of Quartzite. I know there are hundreds if not thousands of vendors selling there goods. Do they all sell in the markets or do some just setup wherever they are camping to peddle their goods. What kind of licensing is required to sell your products?

kcyeakel
In the 8 years we have been going there in the winter I have not seen any vendors selling on BLM land. I suspect the BLM does not allow it.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #24

Howdy!

We've been to Quartszite several times and stay on the BLM about three months are until it to warm at night to sleep comfortablely. Wife is a "Rock Hound" and Q is a meca for that. We also make use of the "Quartszite Jem and Mimenal Club" in Q.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think they said the same thing about Woodstock way back when but it still attracted 1/2 a million strong like the song says.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
We've bought fantastic agate bookends and other seriously beautiful crystals, all at very reasonable prices. Unusual gifts,with more tents full of rocks and minerals than I've ever seen. But the traffic can be a killer.

Quartzite rocks! All desert RVers should see it once, IMHO.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
I think they said the same thing about Woodstock way back when but it still attracted 1/2 a million strong like the song says.
I was at Woodstock in 1969. I guess if Quartzite had the music that was at Woodstock I would understand the attraction. At least I'd know there wouldn't be rain
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #28

We go with a group every year and its fun to snoop around, people watch etc. The place is so big its not like you are camped on top of each other. Our best times are back in camp sitting around a fire after a potluck dinner and watching the sun go down. Sometimes buy stuff, sometimes we don't. Sure there are nicer places to camp and we know that but thats what the rest of the year is for. Its fun,easy and the weather is always nice and cheap !
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote