Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #1

Quartzsite

After the wife and I attend the WHMA rally in Indio, we plan to go to Quartzsite to partake in the Mainevent. Been a couple of years since we were in Quartzsite and the campground we stayed at, Greasewood, was very convienent to all.
Checking the Quartzsite camping information, I am unable to determine whether Greasewood is still open. I do know it is a dry camping location and the main reason we had stayed there in the past was the ability to walk to just about everything.
Can anyone tell me whether or not Greasewood is still open?
Thank you,
Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm not familiar with the name, but if you'll let me know where it's located, I can tell you whether or not it's still open.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #3

Linda,
It is next to I-95 (along the overpass) on the North side of I-10. From there, we could walk under I-10 to the Main Event and other venues. All I remember (senior moment) is when we crossed over 95, at the light, turned left, traveled maybe 300 feet and turned left into the park.
Hope that helps and thank you for your assistance.
Bob
Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound View Post
Linda,
It is next to I-95 (along the overpass) on the North side of I-10. From there, we could walk under I-10 to the Main Event and other venues. All I remember (senior moment) is when we crossed over 95, at the light, turned left, traveled maybe 300 feet and turned left into the park.
Hope that helps and thank you for your assistance.
Bob
I'm confused.

There is no I-95 in Quartzsite...are you talking about AZ-95 or US-95 (AZ-95 is north of I-10, US-95 is south of I-10)? There are three overpasses in Quartzsite that go across I-10...the one at Exit 17 (where the Love's is south of the Interstate), the one at Exit 19 (west of Exit 17), and the one between those two exits at the 4-Corners area.

The Main Event is on the north side of Main Street near Exit 17. If you are parked on the north side of I-10, you would not go *under* I-10 to get to it.

I'm going to take a wild stab and assume you're talking about the lot on the southwest quadrant on Main Street and AZ-95 (across the overpass and to the west of the large, paved, La Mesa RV lot), otherwise known as the 4-Corners area. However, if this is the area you're talking about, as I said previously, you would not walk *under* I-10 to get to the Main Event...you'd walk west along Main Street. Even if you're talking about Rice Ranch and Tyson Wells areas, which are both on the south side of I-10 (Rice Ranch is east of US-95, Tyson Wells is west of US-95, both on Kuehn Stree), you'd walk *over* I-10 along the overpass to reach them from this parking area.

If you are, indeed, talking about the parking area I mentioned above, I believe it's still open...we'll be out and about today and can go by there to confirm.

If this ISN'T the area you're talking about, you'll have to be more specific about the directions and the actual street names.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #5

Linda,
Oops. I met AZ 95 and yes it is the open field across from La Mesa. When we stayed there a couple of years ago, there was a culvert that went under I-10 and through an opening in the fence, we could use that to get over to the Main Event. The overpass I met to say was the between Exits 17 & 19, which is AZ 95.
I do appreciate your assistance (and patiences )
Bob
Old 12-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
OK, I'll double check this area when we're out and about today, but I think it's still available for dry camping.

However, I think you have the location of the Main Event confused with either Tyson Wells or Rice Ranch.

The Main Event is on the north side of Main Street west of AZ-95, near Exit 17 (north side of I-10).

If, from the parking area we're discussing, you went through a fence and walked *underneath* I-10 through a culvert, you'd be walking into the vendor area at Tyson Wells (the Tyson Wells vendor area starts at the stop light at US-95 & Kuehn Street and runs west, both north and south of Kuehn Street). When the Sports, Vacation, and RV Show is on during the latter part of January, the Big Tent is located just south of the Tyson Wells vendor area.

Tyson Wells, on the other hand, starts at the stop light at US-95 & Kuehn Street and runs east, on the south side of Kuehn Street. Rice Ranch used to be on the north side of Kuehn Street, too, until Beaudry RV dealer leased (or bought...I was never clear on which) the north side. Since Beaudry is no longer coming to Q, the north side now has some new vendor areas, some with full hookups...I don't know whether or not these are part of Rice Ranch, or separate from Rice Ranch.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #7

Just what is the Main Event??

This article states ""In 1997 the "BIG TENT", as the show had become known, moved across the freeway to it's present home, just 1/2 mile South of I-10 on Hwy 95. ( now 700 S. Central) The new 20 acre facility, a former dry campground, was just what the doctor ordered for the expanding show.""
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandys Man View Post
Just what is the Main Event??

This article states ""In 1997 the "BIG TENT", as the show had become known, moved across the freeway to it's present home, just 1/2 mile South of I-10 on Hwy 95. ( now 700 S. Central) The new 20 acre facility, a former dry campground, was just what the doctor ordered for the expanding show.""
The Main Event and the "Big Tent" are two entirely different things in two entirely different Quartzsite locations.

Here's the website for The Main Event: The Main Event. If you click on "driving directions," you'll see a map of its location. (Or, better yet, Google "The Main Event Quartzsite AZ" and the very first hit will be the above website and beside it will be the Google Map for the location...Main Event location.)

The Sports, Vacation, and RV Show -- the location of the "Big Tent" -- are located where the article you referenced says it is. Location of the "Big Tent." (ON EDIT: Well, that doesn't work, so just go to Google Maps and enter "700 S. Central, Quartzsite, AZ" into the search box.)

If you get off I-10 at Exit 17 and head north, then take a right onto Main Street, The Main Event will soon be on your left (on the north side of Main Street).

If you continue heading east on Main Street and take a right-hand turn on Central (AZ-95/US-95, depending on which side of I-10 you're on), and go over I-10 and through the stop light at Kuehn Street, the "Big Tent" will be on your right in a short distance...you can't miss it since it's a HUGE white tent. The tent doesn't go up until about a week or two before the Sports, Vacation, and RV Show.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #9

Thanks Linda,
I didn't even realize there was another part of the event on the north side of I-10
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote