Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #1

Quartzsite in Oct?

I will be in the area in mid Oct. Is it worth a stop to "check it out" for 14 days.

If so, where is the best spot to camp both free and fee.

Is there any thing,events, flea markets, vendors going on at that time of year?

Thanks
Laker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, by all means, stop at Quartzsite in October.
Then com in Jan. or Feb. when it wakes up.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #3

It will be pretty slow around there in October. A good free place is HI Jolly just North of town on 95.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker44 View Post
I will be in the area in mid Oct. Is it worth a stop to "check it out" for 14 days.

If so, where is the best spot to camp both free and fee.

Is there any thing,events, flea markets, vendors going on at that time of year?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #4

JMHO: Pretty Slow; could be classified as one of the great understatements of the 21st century. You could be one of the first to arrive. Be sure and bring keys so you can open things up.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
14 days at Quartzite in October Hmm .....14 hours would be more than enough to explore the area. However, in January, things will be different. We'll be there in January for several days so we can get stocked up on all the junk stuff we buy there.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:31 AM   #6

Several parks in town. I think the best one is Quail Run. It is at the North end of town on the West side of the Hwy.

Most parks will be $25 per night. The Free areas are everywhere.

I think the rock & gem area will be open. ?? Never been there in October. My guess is nothing going on there in October.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:54 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, so educate me. We plan to be in AZ in Jan or Feb so what is the big deal about Quartzite? What I have heard or read sounds like a giant RV flea market and, generally, large crowds and flea markets are something I like to avoid. However, what else is going on there? Can you just show up and get a site or do you have to reserve in advance?

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:06 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
it is so ironic for me to be writing this response as my parents would be laughing since they never saw me as an rv-er. (nor did i to be honest) They departed in 2008 (my mom) and '10 (my dad) at 85 and 87 after 68 years together. They full-timed for 30 years following my Dad's retirement at 55. My mother was a retired mom of 8 kids.

To them, Q was heaven. They had so many great snow birding friends from all over the country and Canada. They used LaPosa West which is BLM property so free (my Mother was a Depression kid and loved that!).

They knew the country dancing gatherings in different venues for about 4 nights of each week and had a wonderful Mormon community that took them in and cared for them like they were family. My folks were Catholic but it didn't matter. Awesome community!

There were pot lucks, dances, crafts, walks in the desert, you name it. Its a quiet, sleepy one traffic light town. Not for me but truly heaven for them.
London Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:31 AM   #9

The RV show is huge!! The big tent has everything RV. Around the outside of the tent are venders also.

RV dealers (new & used RV's for sale). Food venders.

You can buy anything and get much of it installed. --windshields, steering stabilizers, furniture , hitches, brake systems for your toad, satellite systems , solar, electric plugs & cords, sewer hoses etc.

Across the street from the big tent there is a very large area that has much more RV items along with flea market items (new & used). Also a very large area for rocks & gems. ( I think it is there year around). All that is south side of I-10. North of I-10 there is a huge area for antiques & flea market items.

In the Big tent venders are like cooking , sweepers, chairs, tables, many resort parks are there promoting their resorts, vacation deals, all the discount RV deals,

As to where to stay- it is sometimes possible to find a park to stay in without reservations. Staying in the desert for free is 100% possible.

See you in January.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:12 AM   #10

We do Q every 2nd or 3rd year. We always stay at Quail Run, newest and nicest park in Q. It only fills up in Jan.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #11

smlranger; The big attraction at Quartzsite, for many who enjoy, the RV boon-docking lifestyle, are the groups that go there year after year as London Brian describes. Standing on the roof of your RV would show you their gathering places, across the desert, stretching to the horizons.
When the Rock & Gem Show or the RV show, are on it's a traffic nightmare.
There have been traffic control improvements in the past few years.
But if you; like me; aren't a fan of flea markets and crowds, it's not the place to be. A two hour walk through of the Big Tent during the RV show is about all I can handle; our winter park is 60 miles north. I'll stick to my full hook-ups with golf course, and the snowbird community that has developed there, thank you.
Check out the area on Google ; space view, if the pictures happen to be from January , you'll get a good idea of what's going on.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put it in a class like Wall Drug and the Corn Palace.

Just one of those places you have to visit to see what all the hub bub is about.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #13

Better check the tempeture- it was over 90 in Tucson yesterday and Tucson is higher than Q. plus T. has some trees.
anneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #14

Yes , beautiful downtown Parker Dam CA. ; population 14 ? this time of year, soon to increase by thousands, like Quartzsite; was 98 yesterday, but the wind chill , brought it down to 91. I'll give it a few weeks to cool down before I arrive.

Parker Dam, has trees and the Colorado River, +2 vs. Quartzsite. JMHO of course.

Tags
quartzsite