Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2012, 05:40 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question on Ohio Turnpike stops?

The beginning of July we'll be heading to the Boston, MA, area - leaving Michigan around 3:00 a.m. We want to avoid going through Canada and instead get most of the way through Ohio before stopping to catch a few "winks".

I remember that Ohio has WONDERFUL RV parking at their fuel/rest stops along their turnpike. Can someone tell me what stops along the turnpike has these lovely RV parking spots with electric, etc.? Thank you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have stopped at most of the service areas on the Ohio Turnpike over the years. Everyone that we had visited had a section with hookups.

Edit: I checked here http://www.ohioturnpike.org/travelers/service_plaza/ and found that the above needed correction. Page down to the RV/Trailer section and there is a list of the service plazas that have the rv hookups as well as other info.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
RV Park Reviews has some very positive reviews on the Ohio Turnpike spaces. If you are looking to get most of the way through Ohio, Warren would be a logical stopping point.

RV Park Reviews :: Warren, OH

Hope this helps!
TheRVManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Are you going to take I-80 or I-84 to get to Boston?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
What would you suggest?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
84 is not in the greatest shape, but 80 will not get you to Boston. You will have deal with 84 and Mass Pike at some point.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
My trip tik from AAA routed us through Canada, but we'd prefer to go through Ohio because of the rest stops and not having to deal with customs, lines, etc. Been there, done that.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ohio does a nice job on the rest areas. I think it's something like 20 dollars to park overnight with the electric. There was a vending machine that handled the ticket right next to the rv lanes.
I wish more states would do something like that.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Both I-80 and 86 run over about the same topography of small hills and grades which are no problem...Yes, I-80 over-all is in better shape, but traveling from Ohio to Williamsport in PA. last summer there were 3 major areas of road construction. I-86 will be a little rougher road ( 2 summers ago remember concrete expansion joints need work). Also I-86 does not run as straight as I-80 meaning it curves around many of the hills in southern NY. When you Google 3 routes to Boston (I-90, I-86 and I-80 ) I-86 was the longest but an hour less in travel time....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #10

Born2RV
I've have stayed at three of these RV stops and they are quite nice and quite. They have electric pedestals at each parking site, however you can dump and refill your water on your way out. The last time I went thru there approx two years ago, no tow vehilces allowed. Will let you known in May when I travel to Michigan again.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Thank you for all of the knowledgeable responses! This board always impresses me. Please let me know what you find out about tow vehicles, since we will be towing our Jeep Wrangler.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #12

Okay, most of the RV parking spots on the Ohio turnpike has a sign prior to the RV parking spot that says 40 foot limit. A couple have a back in and the others have a pull through on left and right side of the section, for a smooth flow through. The price has gone up to $20. per night. You can also look at the rest stops if you go to google maps and zoom in on the area of interest. Hope this helps.