Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Rainbow Springs SP, Florida

Has anyone stayed at Rainbow Springs? I see there are three loops A,B and C and wondering if one is preferable. We are already planning next springs return trip north so we don't get blocked out of some of the state parks that fill up quickly.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #2

We've never been to Rainbow Springs, but it's not far from Manatee Springs State Park, which we enjoyed very much. The sites at Manatee Springs are all nice, pretty much can't go wrong with any of them.
Yarcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarcola View Post
We've never been to Rainbow Springs, but it's not far from Manatee Springs State Park, which we enjoyed very much. The sites at Manatee Springs are all nice, pretty much can't go wrong with any of them.
Thanks Yarcola, I agree with you on you can't go wrong with any of them. We try to plan our winter escape from snow by visiting Florida state parks on the way to and from the Keys where we stay for the winter.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #4

I have stayed at Rainbow Springs, it is a great park. Site #50 is the largest site having a full pull through, plenty of vegetation, and level. One thing though, you will need at least 15' of sewer hose. At least I did as I couldn't reach both the electric and sewer so I opted for the electric. Since then I bought a sewer hose extension. OH, you'll want to take the tubing down the river trip. It leaves from the park and returns you there. At the time I did it, cost was $10 including tube rental and transportation.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #5

We enjoy things on the quieter side, not so busy, maybe a little more privacy? We found nearby (10 miles?) Ross Prairie suited us much better. Nearly vacant much of the time, sites 2-5 face the woods, fairly level pull throughs. Good access to I75 via 484, maybe 15 miles? Lots of walking/mountain biking trails, but the local emphasis is horses (typical for the Ocala area).
Old 05-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have stayed there a couple of times. It is a nice park. Make sure you go up to the spring and walk around all the beautiful landscaping and flowers. It is a short drive over to Ocala and all the attractions there.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks everyone. We stayed last month at Silver River SP, just outside Ocala. The park is very nice but the actual river part is only a small launch for kayaks and a good hike from everything. The museum there is only open weekends and we were there only during the week so we missed it. We would stay there again but wanted to check out Rainbow springs next spring. We carry extensions for sewer, water and electric so that is not a problem.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #8

Mark, re: the museum, you didn't miss much. We did the hike to the river and weren't very impressed either. Nice park though. If you liked Silver River, safe bet you'll enjoy Rainbow Springs. Both near impossible to get sites without booking well in advance for weekends, 2-3 weeks for week days. The one loop is tents only. I don't think there's going to be a lot of difference regarding the other 2? We stayed in #27, found it as nice as any others we saw. Notes say next time we'll try for 13-22 as there's a trail that runs in back of them that might make walking the dogs a little easier.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Mark, re: the museum, you didn't miss much. We did the hike to the river and weren't very impressed either. Nice park though. If you liked Silver River, safe bet you'll enjoy Rainbow Springs. Both near impossible to get sites without booking well in advance for weekends, 2-3 weeks for week days. The one loop is tents only. I don't think there's going to be a lot of difference regarding the other 2? We stayed in #27, found it as nice as any others we saw. Notes say next time we'll try for 13-22 as there's a trail that runs in back of them that might make walking the dogs a little easier.
Many thanks on the trail tip as we have two furry friends that need walks too. We will be booking the site 11 months ahead so no worry on availability, I hope. Some of the Florida parks require precision when reserving so we are used to planning way ahead and crossing our fingers.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #10

We are heading there Saturday for a week then over to Salt Springs National Forest Campground. Rainbow is a nice park ut shade trees are few. We make a few trips each year there and enjoy our tube trips and swim in the 72 degree water. The remark about the sewer location is right for just about every site. We stay in site 2, or 3 when possible. Site 3 is a 80' pull through with a good satellite view.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiff View Post
We are heading there Saturday for a week then over to Salt Springs National Forest Campground. Rainbow is a nice park ut shade trees are few. We make a few trips each year there and enjoy our tube trips and swim in the 72 degree water. The remark about the sewer location is right for just about every site. We stay in site 2, or 3 when possible. Site 3 is a 80' pull through with a good satellite view.
Thanks Bailiff. I looked at the Google satellite view of the park and the photos at reserve America and site 3 looks huge. Pull through is nice when you can get it too. Sewer connection is no problem. We have an extension hose and if it is really far away a macerator and enough hose to reach anywhere.

We are waiting now to be in the reservation window for next spring.

Tags
florida