Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ransom Road RV Park Aransas Pass TX

We're working on plans for our October 2014 trip to Texas and the Ransom Road RV Park in Aransas Pass TX looks like a possibility. Does anyone know if the railroad tracks running next to the park are still in use? Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
That railroad line is a dead end branch, maybe a few businesses remaining, so perhaps a switch engine or local now and then. Probably few and far in between!

Not sure how it plays into your plans, but take a look at the Nueces County IG Magee park in Port Aransas on Mustang Island (free ferry back and forth, including RV's) . . . nice simple park (elec & water, dump station) and right by the shipping channel in/out of Corpus Christi (BIG ships, REALLY BIG ships - very quiet, however), next to the beach!

IB Magee Beach Park

Old 12-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the info! I'll check into the IB Magee Beach Park. A little nervous about taking the coach on the ferry...it's our baby after all! lol
Old 12-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #4

I've stayed at Ransom Road many times (usually about twice a year for a month at a time) and it's a very nice place to stay. I personally wouldn't recommend staying on the island unless you like to wait in line for the ferry for 45 minutes every time you want to go somewhere. Also, if the tide is low, you'll be waiting till it comes back up to load a motorhome on the ferry.
The RR track next to Ransom Road RV Park is not used. There's a small city park with a pool within walking distance. You're also less than a block from a marina and public boat ramp.
Only 2 downsides I can think of. #1, be sure you have a water pressure regulator because the pressures can get above 85psi. #2, there's a water treatment plant very close and if the wind is right, the smell is not very pleasant.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #5

Thanks HicksRA. That's some great information! Do you know if the ICW RV Park allows fishermen to use their pier? Maybe for a fee.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Regarding staying on Mustang Island and using the ferry between Aransas Pass and Port Aransas . . .

- our motorhome and toad weigh less than 15,000 lbs.; we have used the ferry with both about a dozen times or more and have never had to wait for any tide issues (not saying it isn't an issue, just never has been for us)

- we have used the ferry forty or fifty times with just the toad and never had to wait any longer than about 20 minutes, usually just drive right on within about 5 minutes (they operate more than just one at a time)

- if you are on Mustang Island and want to go to Corpus Christi, you don't use the ferry anyway, just use the highway and cross a bridge on the south end of the island

- we have stayed in Port Aransas and Aransas Pass, from our point of view Port Aransas is more fun (has real beaches on the real Gulf Coast, just one advantage, not just on the intercoastal waterway . . . check a map to see the difference)

Your results (and opinions) may vary. Decide what fits what you like.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #7

The ICW park's pier is for their customers only. I've fished off of it and it isn't that great anyway. When a large barge goes by, it sucks all the water away from it. Conn Brown Harbor is about 1/2 mile away right before you hit the bridge to go to Port A. It has a nice free lighted pier. Also, there's a pier at the San Patricio County boat ramps right down the street from Ransom Rd RV park.
If you're just going to stay for a short time and want to enjoy mainly the touristy stuff, you might want to stay on the island. But there's not much there except for Condos, mostly overpriced restaurants and T-shirt stores. Only one small grocery store, etc.
During the fall months, the tides can be very low and if you have a large motorhome, you may be parked on the side of the road waiting for it to rise. I've seen it happen several times. But odds are you won't have that problem.
That's why I prefer Ransom Road. There's an HEB grocery store right around the corner and WalMart is about 1 1/2 miles away. A short drive north to Rockport/Fulton or 30 miles south to Corpus.
I'll go over the ferry to the island whenever I want to, but I prefer not to stay there.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #8

Here's a pic of my rig parked at Ransom Road RV Park back in May or June of this year.
I got the primo spot, so not all spots are as nice as this one.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #9

We're planning a week with some friends from Houston. I was looking at site 83 and 84 across from the Restrooms/Showers. I thought if we both back in our awnings would face each other. Looks like site 82 won't be an issue for us. What number was your primo spot? The campground map doesn't show street names. We have a 42' and they have a 30' class C. So far this park seems to suit our needs.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's a view of us at the IB Magee Beach Park, Port Aransas, Texas:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	52880  
Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto View Post
We're planning a week with some friends from Houston. I was looking at site 83 and 84 across from the Restrooms/Showers. I thought if we both back in our awnings would face each other. Looks like site 82 won't be an issue for us. What number was your primo spot? The campground map doesn't show street names. We have a 42' and they have a 30' class C. So far this park seems to suit our needs.
That was site 53. It's actually the owner's site when he's there.
There are some sites where you can face door to door. I've stayed there that way with friends before. I Know 39 and 40 face each other.
I think maybe 83 is occupied full time by a host.