Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #1

Recommendations for Corpus Christi / Port Aransas area for winter.

Dad and I are thinking of escaping the cold and heading south. Any recommendations in S.E. Texas? Is it too late to even be thinking we would find something?

Never done the winter escape before. Wondering also about being charged extra for our tow dolly.

🚌🚍🚌
1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.
2007 Chevy Uplander TOAD.
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
We stayed at 1069 RV Park in Rockport Texas. Owners were great, and they just installed a new swimming pool. Not too expensive, either. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
mff

Lake Corpus Christi- Pirates Cove - RV park

Quiet & fun,
5126446892 ask for Jordan
mff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #4

One of my favorites in the area is Ransom Road RV Park in Aransas Pass. But they do fill up with winter Texans. You could call and see if they have anything available.
It's just before you head over to Port Aransas which keeps you from having to wait in line for the ferry all the time to get on and off the island.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #5

Consider going all the way South to Brownsville/ South Padre Island.

While not as cold as up North, TX still gets cold, even as far south as CC. This is all due to the flow of the jetstream. When it dips into TX it will pump in cold air. But I noticed Brownsville never seemed to get cold. I use to go there for work from Houston during the winter months. Houston would be 40 deg and Brownsville would be sunny and 65-70.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Port A is the BEST. A little pricier and fills fast. Google RV parks in Port Aransas. Rockport is next. Very nice area. Town has all we ever need but head to CC for big city stuff on occasion. Google Rockport, they will still have openings. When you get down there look around real careful and you will find RV parks not listed anywhere and some not on the web. Some good surprises. These will have to be booked a year in advance. Enjoy being a Winter Texan!
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #7

As already mentioned, you could head further south. The Rio Grande Valley is only another 3 hours south of Corpus, and it does stay a bit warmer over the winter. We have occasional weather in the mid-40s in winter, usually around February, but it is very short-lived. There are a ton of parks down here (most are 55+), and I could probably recommend a few. I'm sure you could still find a spot; we live in a park year-round and I was just inquiring about reservations for this season, and there's still availability here.

BTW, my first bike was an '83 Virago 500. Awesome bike, I rode it for 25 years until we upgraded to our current V-Star 1100.
Diddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #8

Look at Pioneer RV Park in Port Aransas. Affordable, nice facilities, lots of activities, and walk over their walkway across the dunes to the beach on the Gulf.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #9

My second on Pioneer RV Park. really nice but check ahead for late jan, and feb because they are likely full. We stayed but had to move once but we did not mind. Nice facility and walked on the beach every morning and evening. Close to good restaurants and the pricing is not to bad. They have a great dog park if you have a pooch.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #10

Recommendations for Corpus Christi / Port Aransas area for winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddles View Post
As already mentioned, you could head further south. The Rio Grande Valley is only another 3 hours south of Corpus, and it does stay a bit warmer over the winter. We have occasional weather in the mid-40s in winter, usually around February, but it is very short-lived. There are a ton of parks down here (most are 55+), and I could probably recommend a few. I'm sure you could still find a spot; we live in a park year-round and I was just inquiring about reservations for this season, and there's still availability here.
That would be cool. Dad and I are both 55+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddles View Post
BTW, my first bike was an '83 Virago 500. Awesome bike, I rode it for 25 years until we upgraded to our current V-Star 1100.
I have 138,000+ miles on mine. Still gets 47 MPG. Just having to deal with 1st gen starter issues.

BTW2... Too bad you don't still have the 500. They are rare. I know a few people that would be trying to buy it off of you.

🚌🚍🚌
1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.
2007 Chevy Uplander TOAD.
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter