Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
Question Recommendations for Place to stay South Dakota

This July I am planning a week in or around the Sturgis/Spearfish South Dakota area. Any recommendations for this area? I have a Super C 33' and will be pulling a 7x10 trailer with the motorcycles in it. Thanks, Keith

keithallenhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
This one is next exit West of MItchell, quite a ways from Sturgis. It has long shaded, pull-throughs. Home
We found it a good, clean, quiet, CG. Do be aware, the owner (if its the same owner) is a retired Marine and enforces ALL the published rules as expected from a Marine. No loud parties, public drunkenness, loud music after quiet hour deadline, etc. He told me Mitchel residents seldom camp there because of that. However, if you need any help he is right there, ready and willing.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
You haven't mentioned what type of facility you are looking for. One of my favorites is the Hanna camp ground in the Black Hills National forest. It just south of the southern end of Spearfish Canyon. It has 14 sites, but I have never seen it even half full. If you can do without hookups, give it a try.

Retired electronics engineer. Avid paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, diesel, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253FBS (27' 5er) & '94 19' Class B
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:25 PM   #4
No recommendation on campground, however you need to check out the mammoth dig. My favorite thing in South Dakota, and definitely worth spending a day around that area. you can also go to the hot springs
Cspringsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rush-No-More Campground, about 5 miles south of Sturgis, just off I90. Nice campground and good people. He has pull thru sites you don't' have to disconnect if you don't want to.

Rush-No-More RV Resort, Cabins and Campgrounds Black Hills Sturgis, South Dakota
2001 Itasca Horizon 36LD Cat
Retired Air Force, One lovely Angel, 2 Cats and three birds.
the_vfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:06 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Elkhorn Ridge RV Resort exit 17 on I-90 just 5 miles east of Spearfish and 13 west of Sturgis.. Big rig friendly and super nice, all paved interior roads and cement pads for the RV.
Randy & Kathy-n-Auggie
07 HR Navigator 43PBQ, 525hp Cummins ISX, 09 Flex Limited AWD
Randyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:24 AM   #7
Originally Posted by keithallenhr View Post
This July I am planning a week in or around the Sturgis/Spearfish South Dakota area. Any recommendations for this area? I have a Super C 33' and will be pulling a 7x10 trailer with the motorcycles in it. Thanks, Keith

Hart Ranch in Rapid City is one of the nicest places we have ever stayed.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:32 AM   #8
Custer State PArk is awesome
1998 Newmar Dutch Star, 3126B Cat/ Freightliner
2003 Honda Element
" Don't let the same dog bite you twice "
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
Appalachian Campers
Spearfish has a nice municipal CG. Likely all the sites gone by now, but you can try with a phone call
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You might want to do a search on Sturgis event, a lot of good discussion on places to stay even though you won't be there during the Rally.

I personally love staying in Hill City area as it is very centrally located for great motorcycling rides. It also has decent restaurants available, not as big as Rapid City, but not that far if you require something from the City.

I have stayed at Crooked Creek a couple of times but you may have to unhook the trailer, you might call to inquire? Another good option with very long pull through sites is Rafter J.

Good luck, some great riding in the Black Hills and plenty to see and do!
Johnny Rotten
2009 American Eagle 42'
Trailering HD Road Glide and Saab 9.3 or Cadillac Escalade ESV
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #11
X2 on Rush-No-More near Sturgis. It is located close to the interstate but behind some low hills to block the traffic noise. They do have some long pull-thrus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	025.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	94600   Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	469.2 KB
ID:	94601  

Fred & Mary RVM135
2012 Dutch Star 3735 ISL 400