Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #1

Recommendations in Colorado?

We are thinking about heading to Colorado this summer but don't really know the area. I have been to the Estes Park area and loved the national park. We are primarily looking to use the trailer as a base camp to do some hiking.
Most of the sites I am finding online seem to be like parking lots or fields. Are there any recommendations for campgrounds in Colorado where you have a bit of privacy and actually feel like you are "camping"?
We are looking for electric and water at least.
Thanks in advance.
RoadTripper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Try the state parks. Some are dry camping only and some have hookups.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #3

You might check into camping in the San Juans. I live here and lots of folks come to hike, fish, atv or jeep. There is a public campground right on the lake but no electric. Other campgrounds are near town and others are off the beaten path and heavily wooded. Check out lakecityswitchbacks.com/campgrounds-public.html for some good info.
Prontix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper5 View Post
We are thinking about heading to Colorado this summer but don't really know the area. I have been to the Estes Park area and loved the national park. We are primarily looking to use the trailer as a base camp to do some hiking.
Most of the sites I am finding online seem to be like parking lots or fields. Are there any recommendations for campgrounds in Colorado where you have a bit of privacy and actually feel like you are "camping"?
We are looking for electric and water at least.
Thanks in advance.
This is from an older post - likely more info than you wanted but will give you things to pick from;

Might give you too much but will also give you some things to put into the plan.

Colorado, and the many options for a trip.

Let me start off by saying that IMHO Colorado offers as much Adventure and Beauty as any part of the country – add to that that is very close to the center of the US – Close to Yellowstone and Utah - and it’s exceptional weather make it a great destination vacation.

In my first dozen plus trips to Colorado I usually traveled to RMNP and Colorado Springs. Having spent most of my life either on the left coast or the right coast I actually only did the touristy drive through when going from one coast to the other. I never really was able to spend much time just being immersed in the culture or the people and land of the state. Having seen the Coors commercials I was under the impression that Golden was a town located deep in the Rockies – not just 15 minutes from downtown Denver, you can imagine my surprise when I discovered this. In the 90’s my son was invited to Vail for a July 4th sports tournament, so we visited every summer while he was in College, arriving in Vail from, Colorado Springs – Albuquerque – and Salt Lake – Denver – Giving me an opportunity to learn a little about the state and the many drives/areas it offers, this started to Open my eyes, exposing me to the many attractions and so much more about the state. Then when my son moved there in 2002 and I discovered that I had only scratched the surface and would spend the next 5 years learning more about the state.

With my truth in a very limited -knowledge, on the state of Colorado I will move forward with my personal suggestions for a week (Or month) or two in Colorado – a sort of 7-17 days to see the state. You need to Understand that I believe this is one of the last great Wild Places in the US, and is IMHO a National Park, once you hit the Foothills. You need to set aside twice the time you think if you really want to, enjoy, see, touch, Love this state the way it deserves. If you take the time, you will return again and again – Discovering that it has just so many surprises – all of which just continue to amaze me.

So let’s start at the obvious spot, Denver/ Golden – you could start with a tour of the Coors brewery catch dinner in the town and then have a great walk along Clear Creek, you will need a little planning to get a site in the CG ( https://rec.cityofgolden.net/wbwsc/w...ml?wbp=3]Clear Creek CG )as it has now been Discovered and is normally FULL. (an option is http://www.jeffcofairgrounds.com/Jef...fCoFairgrounds). Because I have 4 Granddaughters in Colorado and this is the closest CG I am slightly biased as to how great it is. It is within walking distance of – restaurants/Main Street – Community Center – Library – Coors – Downtown Golden.

[url=q=peak+to+peak+scenic+byway&espv=2&biw=1745&bi h=926&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CEQQsAR qFQoTCPPW0eX00McCFYIpPgodzc4M1Q]Peak to Peak drive is the next thing I would insist that you experience – for me I would base camp in Golden and make this drive a couple of times, or make the loop across Trail Ridge and Berthoud Pass – not a drive for the faint of heart (In the RV)as both offer switch backs and areas free from guard rails on some very impressive grades to get over and down from these Passes.(the reason for the base camp is to allow a couple of good drives. (Peak to Peak and Trail Ridge) Along with these drives are an unlimited number of areas to take great hikes – just do a quick search and you will not be disappointed, almost every jurisdiction will have dedicated Open Space areas with great trails /hikes.

Most people will start in Rocky Mountain NP – I am sure most are aware of the Pine Beetle Kill – it has decimated the beautiful green forest of RMNP – making it a very different trip from what it was just 5-6 years ago. Still it is RMNP and it does have some very impressive natural features and hikes to offer. IMHO Estes is (the east side of the park – where most visit) just not that attractive in the tourist season. (a personal Bias as I tend to go where and when the crowds are not) The Camp Grounds leave much to be desired and the town is much too crowded for my personal taste. With that said I love to visit and spend time on the other side of the park – WEST- at Grand Lake a smaller town with still a sort of quaint feel about it, much more family oriented and not nearly as crowded. The drive from one side of the park to the other over Trail Ridge is not to be missed – the many hiking areas away from the crowds are many and varied – from Longs Peaks- 14,000’+ to many of the hikes to lesser known peaks and lakes, more than enough to spend the entire trip on and only scratch the surface. ( if you were to drive over Trail Ridge you could make a quick run to The Steamboat area –Lakes –Town - State Parks – just lots to see and do in this area then just head down to Dillon and pick up there)

Leaving Golden I would head out
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #5

For hiking you might look in the Durango, Montrose, Gunnison areas.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #6

Take a look at our travels last summer. We liked all of these Colorado campgrounds and they are near abundant hiking opportunities.

Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2016 Western Trip – Days 22&23 – Randy’s, Montrose & Ridgeway

Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2016 Western Trip – Days 33-43 – Mesa Campground

Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2016 Western Trip – Days 51-52 – Our Last Day In Buena Vista & Snowy Peaks Review
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are happy to dry camp for several days at a time so keep that in mind. We love Colorado so much that we moved from Texas to be near all of the great camping. Rarely is dry camping uncomfortable here. Here are a few of our favorites:
1. Sand Dunes NP, hike the dunes and the San Juan Mts from your campsite.
2. San Luis Lake SP, 5 miles from Sand Dunes if you need water and electric. While in the area, do not miss the Zapata Falls hike and if you happened to like religious sites, go to San Luis and visit the Stations of the Cross shrine and hike.

3. Mueller State Park, Divide Co. (where we now live) this is the Pikes Peak area and is easily one of the nicest SPs in the country. Hike and bike from your campsite for a week and never leave the park or repeat. Electric with water nearby.

4. 11 Mile Reservoir SP, camp in a semi arid environment along one of the prettiest lakes in the US with fourteeners all around. More cycling than hiking, but rent a kayak and catch some trout.

5. Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP either the south or north rim. completely dry on north electric and no water on the south. Simply amazing.

6. Ridgeway SP, camp either at the lake or up high above. Electric with water nearby. Camp here three to four days and drive the million dollar highway, visit hot springs and Ouray. Hike Lizard Head peak or a hundred other wonderful hikes. You could also daytrip to Black Gunninson from here as well as all the way to Silverton and Durrango.

send me an email if you want any more detail. I did not venture further north as you stated you had already been to RMNP.

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Head into any of the National Forests. North of RMNP there is the Poudre River valley. Nice spots, especially on Chamberlin Lake right at the continental divide. If you want the south, the San Juan and Rio Grande Forests have both boondocks spots and semi-primitively campgrounds. Those are just a few possibilities; there are many but it depends on where you want to drive.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado