Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2015, 12:30 AM   #1
MPH

Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
Recommended Campgrounds in Yellowstone?

We're planning to be in Yellowstone National Park in late June, 2016 for a 5 night stay. We don't particularly want to stay at Fishing Bridge RV Park, even though it has full hookups. (Too pricey.) We prefer one of the other campgrounds that doesn't have hookups but that does allow us to run our generator for a few hours each day.

Can anyone recommend one of the following? Can you tell us something about your stay at one of these campgrounds?
Bridge Bay
Canyon Village
Grant Village
Madison

Thanks, in advance, for your input, opinions, ideas and advice!

Mel

MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 03:36 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here some food for thought. Yellowstone is shaped like a big figure "8", with Fishing Bridge in the middle. Even though it may be more pricey, you need to weigh how much it will cost to duplicate your commute each day (travelling the same roads to reach your destination) when parked at one of the other campsites. You also need to factor in the cost of running the generator each day.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Here some food for thought. Yellowstone is shaped like a big figure "8", with Fishing Bridge in the middle. Even though it may be more pricey, you need to weigh how much it will cost to duplicate your commute each day (travelling the same roads to reach your destination) when parked at one of the other campsites. You also need to factor in the cost of running the generator each day.
I see your point. However, the week before Yellowstone, we will be staying at Colter Bay Village RV Park in Grand Teton Nat'l Park, to the tune of over $360. Part of the reason for staying at one of the non-hookup campgrounds in Yellowstone is budget, but the other part is I've read Fishing Village is essentially a big parking lot with RVs crammed pretty close together. We try to avoid that kind of experience whenever possible.

Bridge Bay Campground is very close to Fishing Bridge, but it seems that at least some of the loops in BB afford a little more space between campsites than does FB. Not sure, though, so that's one reason I'm seeking information through this post. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:47 AM   #4

Recommended Campgrounds in Yellowstone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
I see your point. However, the week before Yellowstone, we will be staying at Colter Bay Village RV Park in Grand Teton Nat'l Park, to the tune of over $360. Part of the reason for staying at one of the non-hookup campgrounds in Yellowstone is budget, but the other part is I've read Fishing Village is essentially a big parking lot with RVs crammed pretty close together. We try to avoid that kind of experience whenever possible.

Bridge Bay Campground is very close to Fishing Bridge, but it seems that at least some of the loops in BB afford a little more space between campsites than does FB. Not sure, though, so that's one reason I'm seeking information through this post. Thanks for your input.

Bridge Bay is laid out completely different than Fishing Bridge. There is more room between sites. Many of the sites are parallel to the road and are pull through. It's just a few miles from FB and enjoys the same central location. Yellowstone is a big park.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We've been staying at Soda Butte just outside of Cooke City since 1974.
It's just a campground with no hookups but water is available and genset use during the day is fine.
You are not packed in like sardines.
It's right off US212 but secluded.
The fee is $9/day.

You can drive in the Northeast entrance ,go to Billings via the breathtaking Beartooth Highway or explore all the old silver mine ruins and trails near Cooke City.

We've also tried Pebble Creek in the park itself but Soda Butte is our go to site.

Yellowstone is a "1500 - 3000" miles away destination for most folks so it shouldn't seem to be an issue to have to drive your toad a few miles to sightsee.

Bob
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:39 AM   #6
MPH

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by the trainguy View Post
We've been staying at Soda Butte just outside of Cooke City since 1974.
It's just a campground with no hookups but water is available and genset use during the day is fine.
You are not packed in like sardines.
It's right off US212 but secluded.
The fee is $9/day.

You can drive in the Northeast entrance ,go to Billings via the breathtaking Beartooth Highway or explore all the old silver mine ruins and trails near Cooke City.

We've also tried Pebble Creek in the park itself but Soda Butte is our go to site.

Yellowstone is a "1500 - 3000" miles away destination for most folks so it shouldn't seem to be an issue to have to drive your toad a few miles to sightsee.

Bob
Thanks, Bob. And you're so right ... getting in the toad and driving 60 miles to see Old Faithful or any other site in Yellowstone is not a problem after driving 1100 miles in the moho to get there! And it's not like there's nothing to see during those 45 -80 mile drives within the park. (I was there for 2 days about 35 years ago, but don't remember which campground we used in our little camper van.)

Since we'll be coming into Yellowstone from the south (after a 6 night stay at Colter Bay in Grand Teton NP), we probably won't go as far north as Soda Butte or Pebble Creek to stay. Thus our interest in Bridge Bay and Grant Village, in particular.

Thanks for the tips, though.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just remember 60 miles at Yellowstone oh look there's a bison near the road speeds can chew up your limited time. Staying near the center of the figure 8 is highly recommended.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #8
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Bridge Bay is laid out completely different than Fishing Bridge. There is more room between sites. Many of the sites are parallel to the road and are pull through. It's just a few miles from FB and enjoys the same central location. Yellowstone is a big park.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Very helpful, Steve. Thanks. That's the kind of info I need in order to select a campground.

I read recently that Yellowstone is bigger than Rhode Island and Delaware combined.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks, Bob. And you're so right ... getting in the toad and driving 60 miles to see Old Faithful or any other site in Yellowstone is not a problem after driving 1100 miles in the moho to get there! And it's not like there's nothing to see during those 45 -80 mile drives within the park. (I was there for 2 days about 35 years ago, but don't remember which campground we used in our little camper van.)

Since we'll be coming into Yellowstone from the south (after a 6 night stay at Colter Bay in Grand Teton NP), we probably won't go as far north as Soda Butte or Pebble Creek to stay. Thus our interest in Bridge Bay and Grant Village, in particular.

Thanks for the tips, though.
If you stay in Cooke City, that is 90 miles away and in June, that will be a 3+ hour drive to Old Faithful. There will be traffic including bison caused traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowstone-275small.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	109354  
Old 10-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #10
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimacon View Post
Just remember 60 miles at Yellowstone oh look there's a bison near the road speeds can chew up your limited time. Staying near the center of the figure 8 is highly recommended.
Right. That's a good argument for staying at Bridge Bay. We'll probably give ourselves 5 days at Yellowstone, so should be able to see quite a lot of the park.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #11
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
If you stay in Cooke City, that is 90 miles away and in June, that will be a 3+ hour drive to Old Faithful. There will be traffic including bison caused traffic.
We won't be staying at Cooke City. I believe Bridge Bay it is.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #12
MPH

I just thought of another question in relation to staying at Yellowstone: Is it a bad idea to camp there in June? We'll be in a motorhome, but it doesn't have heated holding tanks. I'm wondering if June 28 will be too early to arrive? We want to be sure and miss freezing night time temps! I know the water lines and tanks will be ok for around 5 or 6 hours if temps got below freezing, but if it lasted any longer, we'd be in big trouble.

Anyone stay there during June? Good or bad idea?

Thanks again for your feedback!

Mel
Old 10-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I just thought of another question in relation to staying at Yellowstone: Is it a bad idea to camp there in June? We'll be in a motorhome, but it doesn't have heated holding tanks. I'm wondering if June 28 will be too early to arrive? We want to be sure and miss freezing night time temps! I know the water lines and tanks will be ok for around 5 or 6 hours if temps got below freezing, but if it lasted any longer, we'd be in big trouble.

Mel
I have not been there in June - just one time in October for a week in a hotel in West Yellowstone. Hardly any traffic and lots of fun.

But for facts, one can gleam this info from the Weather Under Ground and they show temps to get below freezing on occasion. For how long, look at the daily temps in the graphs below on that page.Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	109373 It looks like a 2 to 3 hour period from 3am to 6am. Temps in Yellowstone can turn quickly from a warm climate to a freezing climate. Who knows how the weather will be this year.

The weather data is from weather station KP60.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #14

Quote:

Mel

Impossible to predict from year to year. You must realize that the elevation at the valley floor is about 8000 feet, so most of Yellowstone is above that.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground