Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #1
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Reno to S. Lake Tahoe in Big Rig with Tunnel Closed?

In Reno now and headed to South Lake Tahoe tomorrow and just discovered that one of the Cave Rock tunnels on US 50 is closed and traffic is two-way in the eastbound bore. I'm almost 13' tall and was planning to drive the middle of the westbound bore as clearance on the sides of these tunnels is not quite enough.

What's the best alternate route for a big rig? GPS units and mapping apps are all over the place on this one. OK to take 395 and 88 down to Alpine Village and then 89 and 50 back up to SLT?

rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
The ceiling height through the eastbound tunnel is much lower than a standard roadway. Additionally, the approximately 12' wide lanes will have a concrete wall on one side and will be separated by traffic delineators (candlesticks) in the center of the tunnel to separate east and west bound traffic.

Boats/trailers that are not oversize will be allowed through the Cave Rock work zone
(anything under 102" or 8' 6" wide and under 14'6" tall is considered NOT oversized)

FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks JacknKay.

As a followup for others, I ended up taking 580/395 down thru Carson City then NV88 on down into California then across Luther Pass on 89. It was not bad at all - I was climbing at 30-40mph in 3rd gear a couple of times but no issues with the route and the downhill was managed by just the lowest level of engine brake and the occasional service brake tap. No bad switchbacks.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Would be interested in anyone going through that tunnel. Will be in Carson City at the end of June. Will probably drive it in the car first anyway. I'll be heading toward Sacramento after that.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:40 PM   #5
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
I've been thru the normally northbound tube in my jeep a couple of times in the last few days. The northbound outer edge of that tube is marked 14' 4" (I think, we'll snap a photo next time thru) but don't recall southbound outer edge marking. Width wise I don't see a problem. May use that route getting back to I-80 somehow, as I don't think I want to use US-50 to Sacramento.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
I've been thru the normally northbound tube in my jeep a couple of times in the last few days. The northbound outer edge of that tube is marked 14' 4" (I think, we'll snap a photo next time thru) but don't recall southbound outer edge marking. Width wise I don't see a problem. May use that route getting back to I-80 somehow, as I don't think I want to use US-50 to Sacramento.

50 to Sac is a good road. Plenty of passing lanes for the first 30 miles then becomes a four lane road to Sacramento. From the basin to the top at Echo summit is somewhat narrow, but just go at a comfortable speed and you'll be fine. There's a passing lane at the top and anyone behind you can get around. Its about 5 miles from bottom to top. Going back to 80 is adds a lot of time and is not necessary.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #7
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by exgman View Post
50 to Sac is a good road.
Thanks Dan. I've been fretting a little over what route to take out of here and you just cleared it up for me.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:09 PM   #8

I agree....taking 50 into Sacramento is very good. We've done it often in our 40' MH.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #9
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I agree....taking 50 into Sacramento is very good.
Thanks for the confirmation twogypsies. I'll pull up out of the basin that direction in a couple of days.