Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

Report for First Multi-Day Trip to Buffalo Point, Arkansas

We just got back on Saturday from our first multi-day trip in Daisy (C.O.W.-Condo on Wheels). It was a total success in all areas. We was scheduled to leave on July 11th, but decided on the last minute to leave a day sooner. I was smoking two racks of ribs that day and while this was going we packed all of perishables in Daisy. Daisy was already filled up and in our driveway with the refrigerator running. There was a Mississippi State Park (Percy Quin) about an 1 1/2 hours away. We left around 2 PM and was drinking our cold refreshments by 4 PM. This MH is so much easier to set up than our previous fifth wheel. In about 10 minutes after parking we are done.

The next day we left around 8 AM and had about 4 hours to drive to get to Pecan Grove Campground in Lake Village. This (IMHO) is only for overnights stays. There is nothing at the campground at all to do. We did walk across the highway to look at the lake, but when the DW saw a couple in the water slightly involved she wanted to leave.

The third day of traveling was the one I was slightly concerned about. It was going to be about 6 hours long and most of that on curvy/hilly/mountain roads. I had planned on getting gas at a Walmart in Pine Bluff, but came across a station that was extremely easy to get into prior to that Walmart. My wife stood outside while I was pumping the gas talking to several people that was admiring our Daisy. This was our first opportunity to check the gas mileage and I was very pleased with 8.1 MPG. Our next huddle was Little Rock, but I was prepared already to be in the correct lane in the Interstate 30 & 40 interchange. About 30 miles away from Little Rock we started the uphill/mountain trek at Conway, Arkansas. I fell in behind a couple of 18 wheelers and followed them. It was at this time that I realize how much power the V10 had and expecially how the Tow/Haul worked with the Allison transmission. I was very pleased when all I had to do was tap my breaks on the downhill sides to get the transmission to gear down. This was my biggest concern.

When we got to Clinton, Arkansas we stopped at a Walmart to get our final supplies before starting the last 1 1/2 drive to the State Park. I had no idea shortly after leaving that I would come across a 7% slope. When I saw the signs for brake check and runaway trucks my butt tightened up a little. But Daisy handled it like a pro going up and down the mountains. Now I know the ones that travel through the Rockies probably think these are only hills, but they was the biggest this Louisiana flatlander has ever driven in a motorhome. We got to our campsite around 1 PM and within 10 minutes was drinking our first cold beverage. After setting up our mat, flags, lights, chairs, etc. we drank a few more. It dawned on us around 4 PM that we never did eat lunch.

Being I had a fifth wheel before getting Daisy I was going to give my brother some stuff I could not use. One item was the Lynx Levering blocks. After backing into our spot and hitting the auto-level it would not do it. The excess slope light was on. I was glad I had the leverlers with me. I put out four of them (two on each side) in front of the rear tires and pulled right up on them. I also at the last minute packed my 4x12 rough sawn jack pads to use in case I need them at the Pecan Grove campground being you park on the grass. I put them under the rear jacks and hit the auto-level button. Everything worked fine then. Needless to say my brother was not getting the leveling blocks.

While driving on the second day the DW gets a phone call from my brother who was coming up on Sunday from Eureka Springs, Arkansas. His daughter wanted to know if her and her future fiance could come over and spend the night with up on Saturday. Of course this was OK and they did. My brother and his wife came and camped right beside us on Sunday. On Monday we spent most of the day at Buffalo Point. The DW loved it. Her stipulation for her to get into any water is it has to be clear and she can touch bottom. She bopped around in an innertube while I laid on my $.50 air mattress I bought years ago. My biggest issue with the air mattress was I kept falling asleep.

The next day we went exploring Yellville and Mountain View looking at antique/junk shops. I solved my issue with my recliner being to short by buying a gliding foot-stool for $15. The following day we went to Blanchard Springs Caverns and back to Mountain View. Being we did not bring our toad we was at the mercy of my crazy driving brother. I kept telling him he must be practicing for the Pikes Peak race.

While at the campground we was surprised about the number for folks that wanted to look at Daisy. Especially the Arkansas Razorback fan that said it was against her believe to come onto our campsite with our LSU flag flying. I had to have it up mainly due to my niece is a Razorback alumni.

If there was any negatives about Buffalo Point it was not having any cell phone or internet service unless you drove up the mountain to the ranger station. This would normally not be an issue except my wife was concerned about her nephew who three weeks ago was told he only had two months to live. So every time we went up the mountain the phone would go crazy with texts. My brother and his wife left on Thursday and we was to leave on Friday. I started to pack up stuff and we decided to go back to float around on the river for while. Later on that evening we was taking a final walk to take some pictures and stopped off at the camp host campsite to talk. We have already been talking to them a lot and my wife really wants to get into the hosting. While talking to them her phone goes off with a text message. Remember this area has no service. It was a text saying her nephew passed away. Of course she wanted to respond back but could not. The camphost gave us the keys to their Jeep where we could drive up to the ranger station. The DW was able to talk to everyone and being we was already planning on leaving early the next day told them we would be back in 2 days.

We left on Friday and again had no issues getting back down to flatter land. At our next fuel stop I got 7.2 MPG and again I was happy. I was expecting something like 5 or 6 with the mountains we just came through. We stopped again at Pecan Grove for the overnight stay. We arrived home about 2 PM on Saturday and after getting something to eat we started the unpacking process. The DW's nephew memorial service was more a gathering of friends and family more than anything being he was cremated. This was held yesterday.

Our plans early this morning was to give Daisy a good bath. I had planned on getting started at daylight, but actually did not start until around 7 AM. My thought was to wash one side before the sun got on it and then do the other side. The RV gods must have been watching over me being it got very cloudy and even rained a little. Shortly after finishing it all it rained hard. I guess the gods thought I did not rinse Daisy off good enough. We then took Daisy to be put in storage until our next trip planned in about two months to Tampa, Florida.

This trip also was our first time without full hookups. Our first night at Percy Quin did not have hookups, but the second night at Pecan Grove did. So I did a good drain/flush then. We was both concerned about having to un-set-up at Buffalo Point and take the long drive to the dump station. But we did not give it any thought about the park having restrooms and showers. They was not the greatest, but it worked out great. We ended up using the park facilities about 90% of the time. When we left we stopped by the dump station and emptied our tanks. While at Pecan Grove I again drained and flushed everything good prior to our trip home.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #2

First let me say that I am sorry for your loss of a family member. As I am from Arkansas, you could not have picked a better place to visit than Buffalo Point. We go there quite a lot and always have a great time. Thank you for coming to Arkansas and hope you come back. I hope you have many more wonderful trips in your RV.
johnsonk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If your Allegro has a Ford V-10, it likely does'nt have an Allison transmission .
Old 07-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
If your Allegro has a Ford V-10, it likely does'nt have an Allison transmission .
OK - I thought it did. I tried to correct it, but could not.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #5

Love buffalo point. Was there a few weeks ago. Deer, including spotted fawns walked thru camp daily. 5' rattle snake living under dumpster between c and d sections. Plan to go back.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi
I camped at Buffalo point a few years back enjoy it , are the skunks still there. I went to Mountain view also love it. Happy camping
Old 07-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #7

We saw deer just about every day. There was this pair of fawns that we saw several times.

I did not see any skunks, but did see racoons.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
When I was there skunks were all over the campground I was a little worried I have a dog , was no problem they did not bother anyone. Wonderful time

Tags
arkansas